2021.06 Feedback

Worth to check: when opening an OMF file, you are asked to locate the audio of the OMF, which is contained in the OMF folder. 

It's working just fine.

BUT, when closing this project and opening another one, this time a regular one (a project file), it seems that Cakewalk reverts the Audio Data folder to the factory location, and erases the user defined location. May be the reason why some threads report missing audio when opening a file, referenced to the Audio data folder.

I wonder if anyone is experiencing trouble using Vienna Synchron Strings after this update.

I'm having severe glitches when hitting stop, while playing Synchron Strings, and only with this plugin.

Vienna Instruments working fine.

--- 

UPDATE: In fact the glitches are present after stop with every Virtual Instrument, but were more noticeable in one particularVienna Synchron Patch.

I found out that the configuration of Audio/Playback and Recording/ Fade On Start+Fade On Stop must be at least 10 ms, at least in my system; otherwise there are very noticeable glitches on Stop.

This solved the problem completely.

Edited by Andres Medina

9 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi again:) 

Attached 2 Videos with the Track names crashing and not crashing!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al2mKojzOW0Mq5hrJgZYdhXaaT5HBg?e=gZ912W

Bassman.

Thanks Heinz - we've identified the cause of the crash, and have a fix.

It looks like it only affects single track / single bus export, so if possible for the time-being, avoid using '-'  in the track name/filename when exporting single tracks / buses.

Alternatively, ensure you always select more than one track or bus for export.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

@Noel Borthwick

About entry names.

1) I'm using friendly names.

image.png.3da6e516532d9350c18782552bdba4fa.png

2) Showing the ports to the left of the menus.

image.png.16418bce6207395a66cbbba4bd3e2bd5.png

3) This format is very good,

image.png.3fc897432b896e2184a3da71efe15876.png

4) But this does not carry over to sampling in the input of the trail. Here, the format shown on the right is maintained. I think it would be better for this visualization to also show according to the parameterization.

image.png.0b7af62f0e9a86081bed1333baa07691.png

Most users did not want that because the port field is too small so I suppressed it. If you want numbers there use friendly names where you can enter whatever you want. 

I can only confirm that Windows 10 Update  21H1 is a bust.

I've been running elaborate tempo maps every day for a week and everything has been working smoothly. But this afternoon, I accidentally updated to Win10  21H1 19043.1083. What a mess.  I keep the DAW  off line and avoid updating as much as possible, but eventually Win 10 will go into update mode before I can catch it. I'm running Cakewalk 2021.06, Build 050.

1.  .wav files don't appear in the Cakewalk project folder,  i.e. in the Audio folder associated with the .cwp Project Folder. That Audio folder is completely blank. But those files will appear using Windows Explorer. If you try to open the .wav file with a double click, the computer may lock up. I didn't play with this quirk long enough to test the variables. So you can do a mix down, or render just a track or two, and even Export a complete mix, and everything is fine. And save like crazy every chance you get. But the next time you open Cakewalk, those files are not to be found using the normal commands in Cakewalk.

2.  If you save an open .cwp file in Cakewalk , that file name will not appear as an option the next time you boot Cakewalk. That is, the file name will not appear in the Recent Projects menu of the Start Screen.

3.  You can find the .cwp file using the Open menu in Cakewalk, and it may--or may not -- boot, and it may work for a while. But even if  you save that .cwp file frequently while working on a project, it will not appear as a Recent Project once you close and reopen Cakewalk again.

I expect an extortion letter to arrive any day now offering to return control of my DAW.  Then Win 10 will work with BitCoin like a champ.

51 minutes ago, Sam Stalos said:

I've been running elaborate tempo maps every day for a week and everything has been working smoothly. But this afternoon, I accidentally updated to Win10  21H1 19043.1083. What a mess.  I keep the DAW  off line and avoid updating as much as possible, but eventually Win 10 will go into update mode before I can catch it. I'm running Cakewalk 2021.06, Build 050.

1.  .wav files don't appear in the Cakewalk project folder,  i.e. in the Audio folder associated with the .cwp Project Folder. That Audio folder is completely blank. But those files will appear using Windows Explorer. If you try to open the .wav file with a double click, the computer may lock up. I didn't play with this quirk long enough to test the variables. So you can do a mix down, or render just a track or two, and even Export a complete mix, and everything is fine. And save like crazy every chance you get. But the next time you open Cakewalk, those files are not to be found using the normal commands in Cakewalk.

2.  If you save an open .cwp file in Cakewalk , that file name will not appear as an option the next time you boot Cakewalk. That is, the file name will not appear in the Recent Projects menu of the Start Screen.

3.  You can find the .cwp file using the Open menu in Cakewalk, and it may--or may not -- boot, and it may work for a while. But even if  you save that .cwp file frequently while working on a project, it will not appear as a Recent Project once you close and reopen Cakewalk again.

I expect an extortion letter to arrive any day now offering to return control of my DAW.  Then Win 10 will work with BitCoin like a champ.

To avoid Windows updating when you don't want it. I go to Control panel/Services / Windows update and choose disabled.  When I update to a new CbB version, I then turn Win updates back on and update all. 

Then I save an image file of my C drive, which I keep lean. Then if something goes haywire like happened to you, I'll just go back to the earlier image of my C drive and everything back to normal. Macrium Free works well for creating C drive images.

I remember last year, every time I updated to Win 2004, the computer wouldn't boot, until Windows aborted the update. I found from a forum that some computers weren't updating right and I needed to wait until MS fixed this. For a while my Win update didn't automatically include 2004 in the update options, which was good. Since this was a year ago I'm not sure what happened, if it was fixed

I'm currently running  Win 20H2. I don't know if that's a higher version of 2004 version., since I forgot about it until I saw your post.

In my Update window it says that Win10  21H1 is available to update. I'm for sure going to hold off after reading your post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sam Stalos said:

What are your OneDrive settings?   IIRC, by default OneDrive is enabled and saves the contents of your %APPDATA% , Documents and Pictures to the cloud.

If you keep your DAW offline it could be that what's in the cloud is out of date, and its erroneously restoring older versions of files within %APPDATA% when you go online again.

I've personally disabled OneDrive on my DAW PC, as at one point it was restoring files from a different PC, which was linked to the same Microsoft account.  On my other PC's I've either disabled OneDrive, or gone into OneDrive's settings and restricted what it's saving to avoid any issues.

FWIW, I've been running Win 10 21H2 on all my PC's for a while now, without issues.

Hi to all,

I tried the new version 2021.06 Update1 to see if maybe the fixes included have solved my recent problem with track templates, however it's still present as I have reported in my previous post about 2021.06.

I wanted to kindly ask if someone had a moment of time to try to perform the same operations. Insert TTS-1 (it's important that a virtual instrument is already inserted into the project) and then load a default Session Drummer 3 track template that is already included in CbB (don't matter if SS3 is installed or not, this is irrilevant, load one of it's templates only serves for the purpose of creating the input/ouput structure) as I did on video and confirm or not the problem. And it's a really weird problem. I tried everything to understand why it happens, but I couldn't figure it out. I also reinstalled from scratch the OS and CbB (of course, before I made an hard disk image). I have not installed any drivers in windows aside from the "standard" default ones that it recognized. I also left it disconnected from the network. This for have the more clean and raw system possible and eliminate any possible conflict (obviously this is only a test). Nothing, always the usual problem of wrong inputs/outputs assignments.

But the most absurd thing is that, if after checking the problem, I do an hard disk partition image of the "real" pc system that has the problem, and load this one in a virtual machine inside it (with the limitations that this entails, of course) then the inputs/outputs are assigned in an correct way 1+2 - 3+4 - 5+6 ,etc, and not 7+8(TSS-1) - 1+2 - 3+4 - 5+6,etc like in the video. Really weird. The same exactly system image executed in the "real" machine generates the problem, in a virtual machine it doesn't. I don't really understand where the problem is but unfortunately I need it to work in the real machine...also I can't always keep the system in "test" mode and so for now I had to restore in the real machine the previous system image.

The only thing strange that I noticed is that there is the 1st Output of Session Drummer3 named "Primary Output" and not "Session Drummer3 1" as it should, probably doesn't mean nothing however. Infact even with this name it is assigned correctly in a VM, but not in the real machine...

I tried to also upload a new video with the 2021.06 update1 in action, however the forum always give me "-200 error".

Many thanks to all

Edited by Ronny.G

I just noticed one of my vst plugins crash Cakewalk whenever I try to change to any preset. Even if I select "custom preset". It seems anything selected in the preset menu crashes Cakewalk and it hangs instead of giving a crash error. This seems to happen repeatedly and not a one time crash. There are a few rare times where I tried to select a preset right after I load the vst and it didn't crash. But as soon as I select another, it crashes. 

This only happens with the latest update. I rolled back to 2021.04 and it never crashed. Then updated back to the latest 2021.06 build 53 and it crashes. I used Task Manager to make a crash dump file and unfortunately it is 2.4 GB. Compressing it to a zip file only shrinks it to 1.63 GB. The plugin name is Wedge Force Matcha (It's a Plugin Alliance instrument plugin).

So what do I do from here?

On 7/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, Milton Sica said:

I can't do this for instrument inputs, but only for audio and midi devices and even for those the information remains unchanged.

1) friendly names

image.png.8fca73ff8fb7e1a94200233461ffe915.png

Try naming them (You can copy and paste this) Tascam 1L|Tascam 2R|Tascam 1S 

Make sure there are no spaces when you Split/Create the friendly names between the Pipe Symbol ("|") and the last character in your desired port names.

Not sure about the instrument renaming ports. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
Typo

4 hours ago, Hillmy said:

I just noticed one of my vst plugins crash Cakewalk whenever I try to change to any preset. Even if I select "custom preset". It seems anything selected in the preset menu crashes Cakewalk and it hangs instead of giving a crash error. This seems to happen repeatedly and not a one time crash. There are a few rare times where I tried to select a preset right after I load the vst and it didn't crash. But as soon as I select another, it crashes. 

This only happens with the latest update. I rolled back to 2021.04 and it never crashed. Then updated back to the latest 2021.06 build 53 and it crashes. I used Task Manager to make a crash dump file and unfortunately it is 2.4 GB. Compressing it to a zip file only shrinks it to 1.63 GB. The plugin name is Wedge Force Matcha (It's a Plugin Alliance instrument plugin).

So what do I do from here?

@Hillmy upload the file to any file sharing service like google drive, onedrive or dropbox and send the link

Just to follow up, my issue with Win 10 20H1 has been resolved.

I went back to Microsoft yesterday (7/16/21) and there was a new update to Win 10 with the word "critical" in it's name. (2021-07 KB5004237) I let the computer do its thing and it took about 20 minutes to install and reboot. I should have tested the DAW at that time to verify that the bug was fixed, but when I opened Cakewalk I saw Cbl had issued the new update (2021.6 Build 053) MSMCLEOD mentioned, and I installed that version right away. Everything works.

There's something MSMCLEOD mentioned about One Drive. I deliberately avoided activating One Drive on my DAW, and so my updates may have been uncoordinated when I was caught in the initial 20H1 Win 10 update just a day earlier. (I also noticed that in June, the previous update was labeled 20H2, which if memory servers, verifies that update versions and builds do not necessarily adhere to numerical order. 

Regardless, if you pay attention to the Win 10 update versions, 20H1 now seems to be cooperating with Cakewalk just fine, or vice versa.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Thank you very much.

Naming the recording and midi device ports works perfectly as they show correctly in the input box.

The problem even occurs with instrument inputs, as, according to Noel, the space for placing information.

In the previous version it appears in input 1+2, 3+4......

In the current version, even though the input is directed to stereo (1+2, 3+4,......) the information does not appear. This confuses.

I suggested putting a message with the total input indication when the mouse is over the input box.

The tooltip already shows the channel numbers.

image.png

• Like 1

Oh boy.. Too many improvements and changes all at once, me thinks 🤯

I am now experiencing unexpected routing issues with 2021,06 build 053 ever since trying out the new "import" "export" integration with Bandlab Mix Editor. 

I have to manually re-enter serial numbers to reregister  SONAR ProChannel FX modules that I had purchased years ago.

Some 3rd party plugins from both Waves and iZotope  suddenly lose right side of channel start popping & clicking thru the left and locks up the DAW in playback. The only way to stop it is by "Ending Task" with Task Manager to close Cakewalk.

And the only way to stop it from happening again it to delete the 3rd party plugins and resign them in Cakewalk by Bandlab which requires re-adjusting and re-tweeking.

Or my favorite & simplest back up solution is.

Simply open the project in my trusty old SONAR Platinum and have a much better day.

And with all the new improvements and changes currently added to the new Bandlab v10 I'm scratching my head trying to learn HOW TO USE BANDLAB ALL OVER AGAIN! 😆

But I did figure out on important thing. DO NOT EXPORT TRACKS from CbB into Bandlab Mix Editor if you use multi output synth instruments. ONLY export "grouped" BUSS or "Stem" mixes.

For instance, I can have 3 to 8 tracks running in CbB for 1 guitar part by using the Nashville technique for double tracking as well adding AUX. tracks for parallel processing and group them all into 1 buss. Muted tracks get exported as well. I can easily have a 50 to 100 CbB track project for a 4 to 5 piece band sound.

Bandlab's Mix Editor doesn't have a Buss section so it can't tell the difference between CbB Channels & Busses so it imports EVERYTHING and that not only DOUBLES the OUTPUT to Bandlab's to the total sum of buss-less output the meter glows a solid bar of RED. And it adds up to so many tracks in Mix Editor nothing else can be added. 

I typically use an Alesis Sample Pad Pro as a handy table top MIDI  controller to record/sequence using Addictive Drums which outputs to 12 audio tracks in Cakewalk's "mixer" which I route to a stereo drums "buss". And that alone shows up in Bandlab's Mixer Editor "13 tracks".

And even though about 20+ tracks uploaded to Bandlab in my test project,  to the best of my knowledge Bandlab restricts the number of tracks for a 'collaboration' project to 16.

Edited by Steev

2106.053 - i had to do a "repair" on my Waves install as they were showing up in the VST scan lists, but not in the Browser. and the VST3 substitute was hiding non-related VST2 plugins. prior to the repair, i re-installed the redistributables from Waves, then uninstalled CbB and reinstalled 053. still no joy. only running the "repair" (in Waves Central -> Settings) did the trick. now everything is running again.

so @Noel Borthwick there is definitely something going on in build 053 that was not going on in 050.

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

2106.053 - i had to do a "repair" on my Waves install as they were showing up in the VST scan lists, but not in the Browser. and the VST3 substitute was hiding non-related VST2 plugins. prior to the repair, i re-installed the redistributables from Waves, then uninstalled CbB and reinstalled 053. still no joy. only running the "repair" (in Waves Central -> Settings) did the trick. now everything is running again.

so @Noel Borthwick there is definitely something going on in build 053 that was not going on in 050.

I don't think this would be anything related to 053. Why do you think these issues are related?
The symptoms look like a microsoft redistributables issue rather than an app issue. Nothing in the plugin handling of relevance has changed that would affect Waves in any way.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:41 PM, Sam Stalos said:

^^^Seeing this here, too.  I am able to use the Open menu to open the project but it's not in the quick start list.