2021.06 Feedback

Tempo change still seems quirky in 2021.06

I rarely have tempo changes in the middle of a song, but I had one recently with 2 changes. To make it worse is the song was started pre-Covid and so I forgot about the tempo changes, until things went haywire. The writer wanted to add bars in several sections, and of course that threw off which measure each tempo change was at.

I adjusted the new tempo changed in the Tempo box by choosing insert new tempo at a particular bar. I wish this was still the default, because I've never had a reason to choose "most recent tempo". 

When I had to copy a few sections things got very confusing because I should have used the Inspector Tempo View. When I looked at it there were a few errant tempo changes in there including 2 that were on the same measure. Once I opened the Inspector Tempo view I could see what was going on and fixed it.

I hadn't had a chance to study what has changed and how best to handle tempo changes. I sure liked the old way far better before 2021.04 I thought it was fixed in 2021.06. if it has been fixed maybe there's more to fix.

Yesterday I started a new song, imported the rough demo and tried to match the tempo to it. In the past I'd open the Tempo Box and tap in it to get the tempo. It didn't matter if I was at bar 1 or bar 100. The tempo would always change for the whole song starting at bar 1 and not have multiple tempo changes

I did this a few times until I got the best matching tempo. When things went haywire I again opened the Tempo View and could see that it inserted tempos at whatever bar I was in the song, instead of the global tempo

At this point I don't know if this is still a bug or a new way of doing things, so before I delve back into this I thought I'd ask if anyone has this one figured out.

-=-=-=-=-=

I tested the tempo change box today and I was wrong. the default in that box is "change to most recent tempo". This is also the default of every version except 2021.04, so it looks like this was fixed in 2021.06. 

I'm not sure why I had trouble with this lately. Unless someone else is aware of any quirks or changes that we need to be aware of, this post can be removed - sorry

Edited by gmp
mistake

Congratulations Noel and Cakewalk team. I’m astounded how many improvements continue to be made to this program.  

I guess I could always find something to complain about or beg for a specific change or feature but after having now passed 25 years of using Cakewalk/Pro/Sonar/CbB (along with other programs) I’m actually content to follow Cakewalk’s vision for the program’s development.

Since the acquisition by Bandlab, I have to admit I haven’t been able to keep up with the rate of development of existing and addition of some of the new features. The program now far outstrips my ability to maintain what I once would have claimed as being a very high level of proficiency with its use.

I guess I continue to make music (when health permits) the same as I’ve done for ages and while the improved stability and smoothness benefit my process, I’m a long way off using many of the new features. While that leaves me more to explore in Cakewalk itself, I really miss the days when I felt I was able to make meaningful contributions to the community here. Like chiming in to answer a query regarding a function or process. These days I’m lucky if I understand the question. Lol

Anyways, after rambling on so much; congratulations again to Noel and the team for another stellar update.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @p-w-m the issue is this:

12175 WinHTTPSendRequest A security error occurred. This means your Windows operating system has not been configured for TLS 1.2. ... To configure your Windows operating system's WinHTTP stack for TLS 1.2, run Windows Update and make sure all updates have been installed.

Are you running Windows 7? This is a known issue where some systems don't have the latest TLS libraries installed. If you are running Windows 7 please be advised that it isn't a supported configuration for reasons like this.

See this thread for a solution.

Thank you very much Noel! The Easy Fix solved the problem and now everthing works fine.

I fully understand your point regarding my old W7 and I am very grateful that you still support guys like me!

I am already working on the update of my system.

Kind regards,

Peter

a bug report. latest update of cakewalk keeps crashing with a particular stem/track that I am trying to bounce. I can bounce other tracks with effects on them ok and I can bounce the entire mix fine. but when I select this particular track it won't seem to process the render, windows indicates something is working with the swirling icon but after a short moment of trying to render the whole daw exits/closes down. I tested a dozen or so times with the same result, tried changing to render the track as an mp3 with the same result. changed wav settings and no change.

i'm trying to bounce an existing stem wav file to a new wav file which has the following plugins on the fx; "LALA" compressor https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3221/ "spline" eq https://www.kvraudio.com/product/splineeq-by-photosounder "Free Clip" clipper plugin https://www.vennaudio.com/free-clip/ and "FreeG" gain stage plugin https://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.html 

i've used these plugins a lot in the past and never encountered a problem.  I tried adding another plugin to the chain and same result. I tried duplicating the track and bouncing that track and had the same result. upon rebooting the software I noticed a few times cakewalk would crash and exit when loading the project. the rest of the tracks have no effects on them, they have all been bounced to new stems fine.  the master has a few plugins on it but I also tried disabling them. 

the only way to make a new stem for this particular problem track I found was to solo that track and then chose "entire mix" which renders fine. 

• Sad 1

we (as in the royal we of the forum) have seen threads where FreeG causes problems on stereo tracks. so maybe you can do something like disable them one at a time see if you can identify the plugin causing this. one thing to verify it's a bug - create a new project with just that audio clip and those plugins and see if it also happens. you may have have a corrupted project file due to the crashes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paul terry said:

a bug report. latest update of cakewalk keeps crashing with a particular stem/track that I am trying to bounce. I can bounce other tracks with effects on them ok and I can bounce the entire mix fine. but when I select this particular track it won't seem to process the render, windows indicates something is working with the swirling icon but after a short moment of trying to render the whole daw exits/closes down. I tested a dozen or so times with the same result, tried changing to render the track as an mp3 with the same result. changed wav settings and no change.

i'm trying to bounce an existing stem wav file to a new wav file which has the following plugins on the fx; "LALA" compressor https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3221/ "spline" eq https://www.kvraudio.com/product/splineeq-by-photosounder "Free Clip" clipper plugin https://www.vennaudio.com/free-clip/ and "FreeG" gain stage plugin https://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.html 

i've used these plugins a lot in the past and never encountered a problem.  I tried adding another plugin to the chain and same result. I tried duplicating the track and bouncing that track and had the same result. upon rebooting the software I noticed a few times cakewalk would crash and exit when loading the project. the rest of the tracks have no effects on them, they have all been bounced to new stems fine.  the master has a few plugins on it but I also tried disabling them. 

the only way to make a new stem for this particular problem track I found was to solo that track and then chose "entire mix" which renders fine. 

@paul terry, please attach the dump file created by the crash reporting (its listed in the crash dialog). That is the only way for us to analyze crashes.

HI:)

Same problem as "paul terry", can't bounce any audiotrack. Crashes without any error, so no dumb file !

Have deleted any plugins in the project (not many, cause mastering project) but even with the pure audiotrack it crashes! 

Windows 11 and Windows 10!

Rolling back to Version "April" helps. All fine with it!

Tried only with 32 bit Mixfile(44,1 kHz)  into 16 bit mastered with a few plugins on the track and without plugins, doesn't matter.

Tried a complete new project with the mixed audiotrack, no chance!

Mixdown Tracks (the project) to a new track works perfect.

Thanks;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

HI:)

Same problem as "paul terry", can't bounce any audiotrack. Crashes without any error, so no dumb file !

Have deleted any plugins in the project (not many, cause mastering project) but even with the pure audiotrack it crashes! 

Windows 11 and Windows 10!

Rolling back to Version "April" helps. All fine with it!

Tried only with 32 bit Mixfile(44,1 kHz)  into 16 bit mastered with a few plugins on the track and without plugins, doesn't matter.

Tried a complete new project with the mixed audiotrack, no chance!

Mixdown Tracks (the project) to a new track works perfect.

Thanks;)

Bassman.

@Heinz HupferWhen you say it crashes without error does the program exit? If so that is likely heap corruption  from a plugin.

Have you tried setting the ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 5 or 7 to see if you get an error dialog?

I've been getting random crashes in the last 2-3 updates.  At first, it would only happen if I  was opening a plugin or closing it.  The other day it just stopped in the middle of playback.  I have it set in my settings to auto-save every 10 minutes but today it hadn't saved in almost an hour an a half and I lost my progress.  Very frustrating.

~Marc.

Edited by Marc LeBlanc
  • Sad 2

HI there:)

@Noel Borthwick

It's very weird, but I found out why it crashes without error prompt. 

What I did:

The Project has 3 Tracks ( Announcement, The Song(s) itsself and Outtakes ) (Live Recordings in Studio with Video) 

with Waves CLA-2A, LP 64 EQ and Old School Boost 11 as Last Limiter (-1 dB) on each Track.

My Standard Busses  with Master, MIX, 4 Reverbs Busses, 3 Delay Busses, a Chorus Bus and a Preview Bus, but only used the Mix (Spectrum Analyser)  and the Master (Izotope Insight 2) Bus for listening.

Bounce to Audio Masterfile (Track and 32 bit MIX to 16 bit Master)

So I deleted first every Plugin one by one, saved it to a new file and tried to Bounce the Song Mix to a Master File. 

No chance until I had at least only 1 Track and Master and Mix Bus with NO Plugins. 

Ok, I decided to delete this last track, made a new one and imported (drag&drop the Songmix(32bit) again and it worked. 

Tried again with the last saved project and now I saw it!

The WINNER is:

The Labeling of the Track to Bounce! Unbelievable!

Ok, loaded my first Mastering Project with Plugins and Busses and renamed the Track to Bounce and ....voilà. WORKED!

So😁 Labeled the tracks first:

"Audio - Master - 16bit"

"Announcement - Master - 16bit"

"Outtakes - Master - 16bit"

Labeling it to just Audio it bounced without any problems including the plugins.

Further on I deleted "16bit".....crash

Deleted "Master - ".....crash

Deleted "" - " .....worked

Insomma: It's the "-" (Minus) Character which makes the chrashes! WOW! I've had this with Cakewalk very long ago with the German "ä", "ö" and "ü" which made it impossible to load a project. 

Ok, solved for me for the moment!

Greetz;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1