2021.06 Feedback

The installer can not handle unicode characters in the path, so it doesn't find the update.exe file in the path containing an "á" character from my (user) name. After installing it, I lost windows 10 system volume control above cakewalk. The volume of cakewalk remains at maximum, even if I mute Windows volume.  I have focusrite Scarlet 18i20 3rd gen. I installed the rollback setup, but I the problem still exits.

Ferenc Pávai

Edited by FrankP
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, FrankP said:

The installer can not handle unicode characters in the path, so it doesn't find the update.exe file in the path containing an "á" character from my (user) name. After installing it, I lost windows 10 system volume control above cakewalk. The volume of cakewalk remains at maximum, even if I mute Windows volume.  I have focusrite Scarlet 18i20 3rd gen. I installed the rollback setup, but I the problem still exits.

Ferenc Pávai

Hi @FrankP can you provide some more details about how you are updating? Are you running the updater from within cakewalk or using BandLab assistant?
It would be useful if you posted a screenshot. What is the exact path that its installing from?

Re the system vol this would definitely not be anything related to our update. Cakewalk doesn't control that.

The latest Bandlab Assistant is broken. It just hangs and doesn't download the update (Win 8.1 x64).  I uninstalled the latest Bandlab Assistant and installed the previous version. It updated Cakewalk just fine.

I'm not happy that this DAW is now dependent on Microsoft Edge. Perhaps it's time to jump ship.

I upgrade from cakewalk. But my system's language is Hungarian. The exact path is: C:\Users\Pávai Ferenc\Downloads\Cakewalk

I don't know when and how the volume control problem started, because I didn't used cakewalk for about two weeks, and I upgraded at start. 

Képkivágás.JPG

Képkivágás2.JPG

Edited by FrankP

1 hour ago, FrankP said:

I upgrade from cakewalk. But my system's language is Hungarian. The exact path is: C:\Users\Pávai Ferenc\Downloads\Cakewalk

I don't know when and how the volume control problem started, because I didn't used cakewalk for about two weeks, and I upgraded at start. 

Képkivágás.JPG

Képkivágás2.JPG

Thanks for the report. We'll investigate it and try and reproduce it on our end and fix it. Does that string translate to "cannot find file" or something like that? I don't read Hungarian 🙂
Not sure about your volume control issue since that seems like a Windows thing rather than Cakewalk.

@FrankP also to clarify, the installer is properly downloaded correct? Its just not being launched properly...

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

No you can't. I'm not sure why its installing if 2021.04 was installed properly. This doesn't happen on normal installs.
Something may have hung on your system. I would reboot and try again. Edge runtime is not a huge download

FWIW CW opens fine and Help > About now says that it's version 2021.06 and it seems to work fine without it.

This is not my DAW pc. I d/l the update versions onto this PC just to see what's new and if there's anything in it  that I want on my DAW pc, which is offline so it doesn't really matter to me, it just seemed like something was not right so I reported it in case anyone else was seeing the same thing.

Installed fine for me. However, I'm trying to open a BLX project (downloaded via BandLab Assistant -> Download Stems) and it seems to work on the surface. However, it shows double the number of tracks (12 instead of six) and when I try to play it, I just get silence. I confirmed the the BLX file only has 6 tracks and the WAV files all have content in them.

Yes it is written: The windows can not find the .... file.

Usually I don't have problems with software upgrades, but there are some software, having this kind of problem.

You can see the "á" is replaced by an "Ã" and a ";" character in the path. 

I always have this problem with cakewalk upgrades, but the upgrades can be started from the download directory. If upgrade downloader would ask where to download upgrade.exe I could select a path having only English characters. 

Anyway, when I start the upgrade.exe file, I can see the installation is on the path having the replaced characters.

Edited by FrankP

On 7/1/2021 at 3:54 AM, jesse g said:

It won't install on my computer. The BandLab assistant installed, however, the Cakewalk Bandlab software won't update, It's been sitting at Downloading...(0/0 for 30 minutes.    I restarted 3 times and the Bandlab assistant is updated, but Cakewalk won't install.  It's 6/30/21 at 10:53 pm on the East coast

Version:  21H1
Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz
System Type:  64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
installed RAM:  32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

I had the same problem.Updating from within Cakewlak itself however works fine.Go to the help section and click 'check for updates'.I have previously always used the Bandlab Assistant to update but for some reason this would not work with the current update.

• Like 1

My update has not gone well.

When I try running Cakewalk the splash screen appears for a few moments then that's it, nothing.

The Cakewalk.exe file version is 27.6.0.50

I tried manually running  the 27.6.0.50 update file and got a Setup dialog box stating "The installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.04"

Tried rolling back but get a dialog box with  "The installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.06"

So basically I'm stuck.

Bandlab Assistant was updated prior to this but  I don't recall updating Cakewalk via the Assistant but it looks as though I probably did :(.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
OS build    19043.985

2 hours ago, OnTheOne said:

My update has not gone well.

When I try running Cakewalk the splash screen appears for a few moments then that's it, nothing.

The Cakewalk.exe file version is 27.6.0.50

I tried manually running  the 27.6.0.50 update file and got a Setup dialog box stating "The installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.04"

Tried rolling back but get a dialog box with  "The installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.06"

So basically I'm stuck.

Bandlab Assistant was updated prior to this but  I don't recall updating Cakewalk via the Assistant but it looks as though I probably did :(.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
OS build    19043.985

@OnTheOne it looks like you have a corrupt install somehow. I'm sending you a full installer that should allow you to reinstall. Check your PM.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@OnTheOne it looks like you have a corrupt install somehow. I'm sending you a full installer that should allow you to reinstall. Check your PM.

@Noel Borthwick

Thanks for the file.  I did what you requested and here's the result.  

image.png.8c3e77e3de13dae9efda86b619ee86a5.png 

No difference whether installed as Admin rights or not.  I chose to cancel the installation.

With 2021.06 the VST scanner never completes it's run.
At the end of scanning it just hangs - on last run left it sitting for at least 4 hours before killing process.

When I finally kill it the log files (included) have a ton of nulls at the end...
image.thumb.png.42dcbd326a7f5ad4cb78fda6df5b9c39.png

I've run it multiple times - totally reset it a couple of those times and it hangs each time.
Is not a problem in 2021.04
Various plugins now failing to scan, or at least generating errors as well.

image.png.baf9d50373d660ac1f1fcc301ec0557b.png

image.png.5776c43ecd9375507001956856d2e365.png

With both 2021.06 and 2021.04 I'm getting several of these TTSLogger errors.
Log files not open in any application. No other DAWs or VST hosts running.
image.png.b819fb57bee7083d2e4adab826de221e.png

The following errors with Additive Drums are new - the computer ID is correct and they do show up as plugins in Cakewalk and appear to work just fine.
And work fine in other DAWs.
image.png.258396e8b3fa72a648410b57dd4dbf78.png

image.png.d04dd641260a5cf9d4083fd64900f2eb.png

image.png.e69c4b576e91edaad3df839f95db5a1b.png

My Settings:
image.png.12689b863985f08abf7def951939d9ab.png

this was my initial setting when I clicked on Reset on 2021.06 and later when I reverted to 2021.04 and clicked on reset:
image.png.34b9df17de035f5a13857d9788b1a743.png

With 2021.06 I ended up having to rescan multiple times before it picked up all my VSTs.
For some reason many of my VST3 plugins (for example all of my Eventide VST3 plugins) failed to properly scan on first scan run.
In subsequent scans I enabled 'Rescan Failed Plugin' and 'Rescan All Plug-Ins' which should show in the logs.
I reinstalled the plugins that failed to scan properly (even though they scanned correctly in 2010.04), updated the iLok software (was using previous release), installed latest versions of SynthMaster2 (which was initially generating a plugin load error like the Player still does) and the Player (which already has the latest version installed) and finally got everything I really care about to scan correctly.

Attached are my scan logs.
With both logs I purged previous log files before scanning.
With 2021.06 I did a reset, but had to run multiple scans before everything picked up.
The 2021.06 log is of the last scan with with all scan options enabled.

2021.04 log - reset before scan, one scan seems to have picked up everything.

Hopefully this info is helpful.
...Steven

Logs Cakewalk 2021.06.rar Logs 2021.04.rar

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, OnTheOne said:

@Noel Borthwick

Thanks for the file.  I did what you requested and here's the result.  

image.png.8c3e77e3de13dae9efda86b619ee86a5.png 

No difference whether installed as Admin rights or not.  I chose to cancel the installation.

This is not an admin issue. Most likely your Microsoft VC redist is corrupted by something else. Till you solve that you won't be able to install or run cbb. 

Try reinstalling those from here. After successful install of the redist reboot and then retry the cbb install

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

If you contact support they should be able to help you reinstall clean if your still have issues. 

@TheSteven - the XLN Audio errors are likely down to a Windows update. I get this from time to time (got it today in fact).

Just opening the XLN Online Installer and logging in to your account should solve it.

I'm not sure what the issue with Synthmaster One is - it's working fine on all my PC's.  Maybe try re-installing it.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This is not an admin issue. Most likely your Microsoft VC redist is corrupted by something else. Till you solve that you won't be able to install or run cbb. 

Try reinstalling those from here. After successful install of the redist reboot and then retry the cbb install

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

If you contact support they should be able to help you reinstall clean if your still have issues. 

@Noel Borthwick  Many thanks Noel.  The MS VC redist re-install did the trick. 

• Like 3