Recording Drum MIDI Question

Hi everyone,

New to this whole world of Cakewalk and I've run into an issue I have not been able to solve. Hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

I have an Alesis Crimson II kit that I am connecting to a laptop via a USB A to USB B cable (or the USB MIDI as its denoted on the module). This runs directly from the module to the laptop. All goes well in hitting the pieces (toms, ride, snare, bass, 2x crashes) of the kit until I get to the hi-hat. Cakewalk either isn't registering the hits (the little MIDI dots in the track) or it is registering them, but is failing to play them back for whatever reason (I cannot tell which). I have not been able to figure that part out. This goes for all hi-hat hits i.e. open hits, closed hits, half open, pedal, etc.

I'm not wholly familiar with the program and various settings so please excuse my ignorance XD.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

6 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

My wild ***** guess:

Since everything else is working...I would focus on looking at the high hat.   There must be a sensor on it and a wire that connects to it and then to the module.  Look for a bad connection.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, everything actually works as in I can sit on the kit and just play it just fine. While recording, when I hit the hats I can hear it come through my headphones - just like everything else in the kit - and it's even spiking the noise meter thing (scientific name, obviously 😜) in Cakewalk. The MIDI dots APPEAR to register in the track just like the rest of the kit, just no sound🙁.

Every piece has its own note which should correspond to the virtual instruments you use. Maybe the hi-hats notes doesn't have a corresponding hi-hat on those notes in your virtual instrument.

Check the note numbers. The note number sent. Does that number have a sound in the virtual instrument?

It usually is possible to change which note the hardware hi-hat sends when hit.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, Kurre said:

Every piece has its own note which should correspond to the virtual instruments you use. Maybe the hi-hats notes doesn't have a corresponding hi-hat on those notes in your virtual instrument.

Check the note numbers. The note number sent. Does that number have a sound in the virtual instrument?

It usually is possible to change which note the hardware hi-hat sends when hit.

I will investigate this! Thanks!

What VI/sampler are you using to generate the sound? Might be a mapping issue... depending on the VI it might have preset key maps with one for your Crimson.

Also, check and see if there is a local mode like with the Roland e-drums.  That needs to be disabled.

• 2 years later...
On 6/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, Steve Reinhardt said:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, everything actually works as in I can sit on the kit and just play it just fine. While recording, when I hit the hats I can hear it come through my headphones - just like everything else in the kit - and it's even spiking the noise meter thing (scientific name, obviously 😜) in Cakewalk. The MIDI dots APPEAR to register in the track just like the rest of the kit, just no sound🙁.

did you ever figure out how to fix this? i am running into the same exact issue currently.

And the question was never answered correctly and that is “ Drum Maps”. 
Most kits can use GM maps but that has to be set in the brain of the kit. 
SI Drums doesn’t support maps but most VST kits do. 

But ya, you might as well stand on your back porch and ask the OP a question. 

Edited by John Vere