Will Serum Work in CbB?

I like Serum a lot so I decided to take advantage of the rent-to-own deal that Splice is offering on Serum right now. Dowloaded it and set it up yesterday. Tried it out on the melody track of a fairly simple tune I wrote, and it sounds horrible. But just the melody track. Breakups, distortion, even audio drop outs. But it's only the track in which I have Serum loaded. All the others are playing back fine. It seems obvious to me that there's something about the relationship between CbB and this plugin that one of the two doesn't like the current settings.  But it's only affecting that one track. I honestly don't know where to begin. The tune I tried it on has all midi tracks and one audio track (drums), but none of the other tracks are exhibiting any problems at all.

One thing I noticed after setting it up is that only the 32-bit version is showing up. I'm running CbB on a 64-bit Win7 machine and there are 64 bit drivers that were installed, and afterwards I rescanned the plugins,  but they're not showing up in the Plug-in Manager. Is it possible for a 32-bit driver to cause this sort of corruption?

Edited by Michael McBroom

• 2 weeks later...

In CbB, 32bit plug-ins are often in a different color and always have (32-bit) after their name in plug-in lists.

Most installers provide an option to skip installing 32bit plug-ins. This is a good idea if they are not needed for another program.

If there is a need to include certain 32bit plug-ins in CbB consider having more than one install location for 32bit plug-ins. This way one path may be used for CbB and another for other programs. This is a way to restrict the number of 32bit plug-ins visible to CbB while allowing other programs access to the full complement of 32bit plug-ins installed on the PC.

Yeah this sounds like a good idea. My various plug in folders need some housekeeping. I probably have five or six different folders of plugins. I guess that, at the very least, I should locate my 32 bit plugins in one folder and my 64 bit plugins in another, then try to limit things to just these two folders. But on the other hand, I do have some 32 bit plugins that I use with CbB (64 bit). So . . . I'll have to give this some thought.

6 hours ago, Michael McBroom said:

Yeah this sounds like a good idea. My various plug in folders need some housekeeping. I probably have five or six different folders of plugins. I guess that, at the very least, I should locate my 32 bit plugins in one folder and my 64 bit plugins in another, then try to limit things to just these two folders. But on the other hand, I do have some 32 bit plugins that I use with CbB (64 bit). So . . . I'll have to give this some thought.

You can put just the 32-bit plugins that you use with Cakewalk together in a sub folder within the 32-bit plugin folder. Then  provide the path to that special sub folder in Cakewalk VST scan paths rather than the 32-bit plugin parent folder.  That way the plugin scanner will only include those selected plugins, and not all 32-bit plugins.