Windows 11 compatibility

6 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

I upgraded from W10 and Pro Channel is working as expected.

J

Thanks, Jeremy. I guess it's just a problem with my system that I'll need to work out, I appreciate your comment!

Update: 2022-01-13 8:50 PM PST: Finished work, decided to jump right in and figure out what the heck is going on and it worked like a champ 1st time. I swear I didn't change a thing. Thanks to the great Cakewalk forum folks who always jump in and offer their assistance. This community is the best!

Edited by Ed Evans

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Noel Borthwick I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing CbB in Windows 11 on my son's new laptop.

I bought him an HP pavilion AMD Ryzen 7, 16gb system with W11. We've installed Cakewalk plus additional connect, Kontakt,  some libraries. So far everything is running smooth as silk. I'm tempted to get one myself.

My son is 13 years old and enrolled in the local conservatorio of music here in Italy where he plays piano. He's already light years ahead of me in terms of piano playing and theory, but I want him to get a headstart on music production so that he can have fun making music whilst learning some hard skills in the art of digital music production. His conservatory is old fashioned and doesn't really teach anything about music production/recording.

If we come across any glitches while using CbB, I'll let you know here.

On a side note: kontakt installed seamlessly on this setup. That's a first!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Hi @Noel Borthwick I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing CbB in Windows 11 on my son's new laptop.

I bought him an HP pavilion AMD Ryzen 7, 16gb system with W11. We've installed Cakewalk plus additional connect, Kontakt,  some libraries. So far everything is running smooth as silk. I'm tempted to get one myself.

My son is 13 years old and enrolled in the local conservatorio of music here in Italy where he plays piano. He's already light years ahead of me in terms of piano playing and theory, but I want him to get a headstart on music production so that he can have fun making music whilst learning some hard skills in the art of digital music production. His conservatory is old fashioned and doesn't really teach anything about music production/recording.

If we come across any glitches while using CbB, I'll let you know here.

On a side note: kontakt installed seamlessly on this setup. That's a first!

I don’t think you’ll find many issues, been working perfectly here since my upgrade.

J

On 11/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, Alan Russell said:

So many audio drop out issues with Windows 11...I have the top DELL tower machine  16gigs ram..huge hardrives...never had these issue with Windows 10.   problems recording - won't start-drop out occurs immediately.   cracking the 1st second of any track (Audio)  I record live...buffers were upped to 2048...very aggravating..

Did you figure it out?  I have the same issue with all my old projects.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, KurtS said:

Is the consensus that windows 11 upgrade is pretty safe with cakewalk? I feel tempted to do it but also afraid of the consequences.  Anyone still have unresolved issues?

If you don't want to take any chances, and are determined to upgrade to Win 11, you may want to consider buying a new computer with Win 11 installed and running it in parallel with your old computer. At least until you have Win 11 up and running well with your music projects. Everyone's setup is different, so you never know if something might go sideways with an upgrade. No guarantees!

Windows 10 is supported until October 14, 2025. So no rush! Let Microsoft get the details right first, unless you wish to be an informal beta tester!

https://www.howtogeek.com/741245/dont-panic-you-can-keep-using-windows-10-until-2025/

Edited by abacab

This computer is only about a year old so not going to get a new one.  I think I will continue to stall on the update.  When I switched from my old computer to this one it was about a week of computer hell trying to get cakewalk with all the plugins working right again.

• Great Idea 1

Pro Channel tools are missing and/or not working, along with some other essential tools like Boost 11 and Sonititus Compressor. I did have core isolation on when i installed Cakewalk, and subsequently have turned that off when the SES driver for my external HDD would not install. Turning it off got the SES driver installed so I'm going to try uninstall/reinstall of Cakewalk to see if that resolves the issue. I'll post again with the results. 

41 minutes ago, John Riddell said:

Pro Channel tools are missing and/or not working, along with some other essential tools like Boost 11 and Sonititus Compressor. I did have core isolation on when i installed Cakewalk, and subsequently have turned that off when the SES driver for my external HDD would not install. Turning it off got the SES driver installed so I'm going to try uninstall/reinstall of Cakewalk to see if that resolves the issue. I'll post again with the results. 

One thing I know can definitely cause issues with the ProChannel, is if the folder that contains them is compressed.

Make sure the following folders are uncompressed:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins

Although that may explain some of what you're seeing, it doesn't explain Boost 11 / Sonitus Compressor not appearing... that would indicate that a VST scan wasn't done ( Boost11 ) and the Sonitus plugins weren't registered.

A full reinstall of Cakewalk followed by a VST scan should fix this.

Thank you, it appears that Core Isolation being turned on Device Security was the issue. However, the option to not show the plugins that I selected because they did not work initially was also causing an issue on any subsequent uninstall/reinstall that I had tried. So, I looked up how to clean uninstall the software, which involved removing reg keys and program file entries along with Roaming app data ( i found this info on the Cakewalk website) has resolved the issue. Now all the plugins show up and work correctly. The VST scan found everything and I tested the plugins to verify they are working. Thanks for the quick response though, I really appreciate the support.

Cheers, John R. 

• Like 1

I've just got a used Dell XPS i7 16gb running Windows 11. I was expecting it to handle CbB with ease, only to find to my horror that it can't even run an empty project without audio dropping out. 🤦

I'm going through all the online hints and tips to try and resolve this problem. Has any gone through anything similar with Dell XPS 15 touch 9570?

Could anyone offer some help? 🙏

13 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I've just got a used Dell XPS i7 16gb running Windows 11. I was expecting it to handle CbB with ease, only to find to my horror that it can't even run an empty project without audio dropping out. 🤦

I'm going through all the online hints and tips to try and resolve this problem. Has any gone through anything similar with Dell XPS 15 touch 9570?

Could anyone offer some help? 🙏

Have you already taken the usual recommended steps to optimize your PC for audio?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/windows-11-pc-optimization-for-recording/

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

It would be helpful to post your audio hardware specs and audio settings.

And it never hurts to run "LatencyMon" to see if you have a driver hogging your system. It's pretty technical, but just know that green means your PC is good to go for real-time audio. If red, post your results... https://resplendence.com/latencymon

• Thanks 1

There are two options, as I see it, to tame a Dell laptop.  I have a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 that I use for mobile (on site) recording.   As shipped from Dell it had latency and dropouts.  Everything I tried helped but it was still not 100% clean (I was getting a dropout about every 8 minutes when recording).  The PC was shipped with an M.2 SSD and had space to add a laptop hard drive or a full size SATA SSD.   I had a spare SSD so I installed that and created a dual boot system, One install was the original Dell image that I could use for "regular" PC work and the second install was my recording and only had Windows, needed drivers and recording software.  I can run latency mon for hours and no issues.

Barring the dual boot, the first thing to do is disable Dell Support Assist.  We find on the Dell support forums that Support Assist can be one cause of latency. There are  a lot of people using Dell's for DAW work, just takes some time to tame it.  We also find disabling internet can have a positive effect on audio as Wi-Fi is an often cause of audio "popping/crackling/droputs".

On 3/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, abacab said:

And it never hurts to run "LatencyMon" to see if you have a driver hogging your system. It's pretty technical, but just know that green means your PC is good to go for real-time audio. If red, post your results... https://resplendence.com/latencymon

Here are the results from Latencymon

It appears that my system is suitable, yet I'm having issues trying to run CbB using the laptop's inbuilt audio. Even an empty project.

I can get stability when using a USB external sound device.

:

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:02:14  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Philip G Hunt

3 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I can get stability when using a USB external sound device.

There's your easy answer! :)

I have no idea how to tame the on-board audio on a Dell, but it sounds like you quite possibly have an audio driver causing the audio dropouts.

• Great Idea 1

Dell's use Waves MaxxAudio Pro for audio jack detection and some other audio functions.  This app only works with the Dell sound driver, and the PC needs the Dell model specific sound driver.   

The internal PC audio tends to have more latency than a USB connected recording interface device.  Try increasing buffer sizes with the internal sound.

To add to my previous post noting my Dell laptop.   If I use the NVIDIA video I get latency and dropouts.  If I use the Intel CPU Video I do not.

13 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

Dell's use Waves MaxxAudio Pro for audio jack detection and some other audio functions.  This app only works with the Dell sound driver, and the PC needs the Dell model specific sound driver.   

The internal PC audio tends to have more latency than a USB connected recording interface device.  Try increasing buffer sizes with the internal sound.

To add to my previous post noting my Dell laptop.   If I use the NVIDIA video I get latency and dropouts.  If I use the Intel CPU Video I do not.

I turned off the Nvidia drivers, but same issues.

However, I got the audio working in the end without drop outs.  I can use the onboard audio drivers if they are 'shared' and not 'exclusive'. I don't know why that works, but it does.

Thanks for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Win 11 appears to be a non issue for most with fully compatible (meet Microsoft's spec's) systems.

Now "Windows 12" is on the distant horizon.  When, what, hardware requirements?   I'm not finding much but the owners of tenforums.com and elevenforum.com have created a "twelveforum" site so there must be enough substantial info for the forum to be created.