Windows 11 compatibility

I had to turn on tpm on one computer, then I was compatible. New laptop was ready. Upped both. No issues.

I reinstalled audio and video drivers. Most everything worked. CbB and cubase ran fine, but neither could find waves plugs until I reinstalled them. Vegas, spitfire and a couple of others had to be refreshed, too. No big deal, system feels a tad quicker on 11.

6 hours ago, hsm said:

I received the update notice this morning. Keep 10 or update to 11.

You must be the first person I've heard of who got the notification, congratulations :)
Its not even being offered for Surface books which is bizarre. I'd have thought those would be validated first and pushed through. I'm not in a rush just curious if anyone else had it officially pushed or there was something broken with Windows update! 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Was anyone offered the Win 11 update through Windows update? None of my PC's are being offered it even though they are marked as compatible.

None of my PCs are Win 11 compatible, but for the last update (probably within the past 3 days or so), Windows Update advised me my PC was not compatible.  That was the first time I got that.  Not sure if I would have been offered Win 11 if either of them had been compatible.

Edited by User 905133

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I bought the Asus branded TPM module for my Intel equipped Asus board. Installed and working good!

But it turned out that the firmware option was also available in the BIOS, so that I didn't actually need the hardware TPM.

Intel has provided the PTT (platform trust technology) in some recent chipsets that can be enabled, so that TPM 2.0 compliance is achieved with that alone. I would check on that before buying anything. I have also heard that AMD has something similar, but I have no first hand info on that brand.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:23 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Was anyone offered the Win 11 update through Windows update? None of my PC's are being offered it even though they are marked as compatible.

Yes I was offered it, but didn't install for now.   My PC has a i7-10700 CPU.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I bought the Asus branded TPM module for my Intel equipped Asus board. Installed and working good!

But it turned out that the firmware option was also available in the BIOS, so that I didn't actually need the hardware TPM.

Intel has provided the PTT (platform trust technology) in some recent chipsets that can be enabled, so that TPM 2.0 compliance is achieved with that alone. I would check on that before buying anything. I have also heard that AMD has something similar, but I have no first hand info on that brand.

The hardware TPM is needed if the your CPU doesn't support it.  On one of my older PC's the CPU isn't supported but the ASRock MOBO has a TPM header.  Nothing in the BIOS I could see. Not sure I'm going to bother with TPM.

I received it through Windows Update on 10/16/2021 and updated with no issues.

I was fiddling with Windows Insider Program settings so maybe that triggered it but not a preview.

Device name    STUDIO-PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
Device ID    84261201-72A8-400C-BF2A-A98F254A6E04
Product ID    00330-80000-00000-AA939
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Touch support with 10 touch points

Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎16/‎2021
OS build    22000.282
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.282.0

I may be being stupid, but why this rush to install Windows 11? If your system is running Windows 10 perfectly well, then why upgrade imediately (if it aint broke don't fix it).

Microsoft has a long history of releasing operating systems which have bugs in them. As a (retired) IT consultant my advice to my clients was to always wait until there is an proven stable version before upgrading software. I am going to give Windows 11 a few months befoer upgrading  as Microsoft will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025 (no I won'tm wait that long, but I am nlikely to upgrade before 2022). And even then I will forst confirm taht all my important apps have been certified for Win 11.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger_L said:

I may be being stupid, but why this rush to install Windows 11? If your system is running Windows 10 perfectly well, then why upgrade imediately (if it aint broke don't fix it).

Microsoft has a long history of releasing operating systems which have bugs in them. As a (retired) IT consultant my advice to my clients was to always wait until there is an proven stable version before upgrading software. I am going to give Windows 11 a few months befoer upgrading  as Microsoft will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025 (no I won'tm wait that long, but I am nlikely to upgrade before 2022). And even then I will forst confirm taht all my important apps have been certified for Win 11.

I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk Manager,  even worked as a programmer on the Apollo project.  So IT background, too.

I had been running a dual boot system, Win 10 Pro and the Windows Insider development channel Windows 11.   All hardware and software worked without problems for over a month so I upgraded.  I still do PC support so upgrading was needed to support clients that upgrade to 11.  I still have a laptop that will remain on Win 10 as it has a 7th gen CPU and does not meet Microsoft's (current) minimum 8th gen CPU requirement.