Windows 11 compatibility

Excerpt from the latest 2101-09 release:

"ASIO driver compatibility checking

Some ASIO drivers, such as Realtek ASIO, ASIO4All and Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver, are know to be incompatible with Cakewalk and can lead to instability or crashes. Cakewalk will now detect use of known incompatible ASIO drivers and warn the user to switch to a different native ASIO driver or WASAPI Shared mode for a better experience. "

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, JoeGBradford said:

Well I've used it for many years and have had no problems. I'm just using midi with VIs along with loops with an on board sound chip but it has served it's purpose well. I've switched to WASAPI now

Well, you're not recording live instruments and/ or vocals either.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

But still unnecessary.

The thing with ASIO4ALL, or any other "generic" ASIO, if you have it installed and then add a "real" ASIO for your interface, it will probably conflict and prevent your DAW from locating the real one. I ran into this garbage when trying a Steinberg demo. It had installed a "Generic ASIO" driver that I was not aware of.

So if you have been running one of those "unnecessary" ASIO clones, you had best wipe it clean before you attempt to use the real thing.

But If you run ASIO4ALL with just an on-board OEM audio chip, you shouldn't have any issues. But it might be unnecessary for that use, if you can run WASAPI under Win10. WASAPI was optimized for Win10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded my desktop, that is also used as my home studio DAW to Win 11 this morning.  Uneventful and went fairly fast.  Everything works as it did in Win 10.  I ran Resplendence Latency Mon and it too showed no problems.   However,  I was confident it would run OK as I have been using the Windows Insider Program Win 11 releases without problems on this PC as dual boot.

Edited by Jack Stoner
  • Thanks 4

Just read this morning that Windows 11 Home edition will require both an internet connection and a Microsoft account login.

https://www.engadget.com/windows-11-review-microsoft-mindful-os-200028040.html

You won't be able to set up a local user account, or use your computer at all, until you meet those requirements. Windows 11 Pro users won't have that limitation, which is good news for IT professionals and power users.

I'm using a laptop (4 years old) with an i7 7700 CPU and was a little surprised to fail the compatibility checker for that reason alone.

Win 10 is in support till 2025 so I see zero reason to upgrade to Win 11 so it can break my ageing audio interface and probably half my apps.

I'm not sure being an early adopter of new Windows versions is a good place to be - it's called the bleeding edge for a reason...

Good luck to those going over the top first

Andy

• Great Idea 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyB01 said:

Good luck to those going over the top first

I'm sticking with Windows 10 Pro until 2025, even though my hardware is compatible with 11. :)

Never been an early adopter. I much prefer stability over new bells and whistles...

• Like 2

Upgraded and can confirm that Cakewalk is functioning fine :)

Edit: May actually have spoken too soon, have had three project crashes over the last hour.

@Noel Borthwick- Cakewalk didn't capture a drump but if I go into the event viewer I see this each time:

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 27.9.0.145, time stamp: 0x615660bb
Faulting module name: Kontakt.vst3, version: 6.6.1.139, time stamp: 0x612f7036
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000068b620
Faulting process ID: 0x26e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7bbaf7b79d470
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Kontakt.vst3
Report ID: 1dc542e1-bd68-46b0-bba0-c9b9817ca41d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Shoudl I report that to Native Instruments directly?

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

Immediately after the following error appears:

Windows cannot access the file  for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Cakewalk Application because of this error.

Program: Cakewalk Application
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: C000000E
Disk type: 0

9 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

Upgraded and can confirm that Cakewalk is functioning fine :)

Edit: May actually have spoken too soon, have had three projeFgflct crashes over the last hour.

@Noel Borthwick- Cakewalk didn't capture a drump but if I go into the event viewer I see this each time:

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 27.9.0.145, time stamp: 0x615660bb
Faulting module name: Kontakt.vst3, version: 6.6.1.139, time stamp: 0x612f7036
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000068b620
Faulting process ID: 0x26e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7bbaf7b79d470
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Kontakt.vst3
Report ID: 1dc542e1-bd68-46b0-bba0-c9b9817ca41d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Shoudl I report that to Native Instruments directly?

Its apparently a virtual memory paging error. May be worth passing the info along to them in case they have received other reports of it.

• Thanks 1

THis is infuriating to me. My PC, a custom build by Jim Roseberry with a crapload of CPU, RAM and solid state hard drives, does not pass the Health Checker test, and I am NOT going to mess with my system BIOS or anything else that could inadvertently result in a bricking of my mission critical, dedicated PC in my studio.  Whatever improvements Windows 11 purports will have to wait or I'll just do without. I've not the time, expertise or energy to spend doing something completely unecessary just to update my OS. It's enough to finally get me to switch to a MAC, since I have Studio One (but still don't find it as easy to work with as Cakewalk, and have years of projects since 1995 using Cakwalk. I'm kind of upset about it, but in truth I'm guessing it may be quite a while before Win 10 goes obsolete or completely unsupported. Sometimes MS just gets in it's own way. Yuck.

I find Win 11 is "Win 10 2.0".  99% the same.  There are obvious internal functions that have changed since it requires minimum hardware but on the surface not much new.   

It can be manually installed on "incompatible" hardware.  There is no guarantee from Microsoft that these installs will get security update or program fixes.   Best option for "incompatible" hardware is to create a Dual boot system.  Join the Windows Insider program and dual boot Win 10 and the Insider's advanced Win 11 versions which are supported.