Windows 11 compatibility

I started my Windows 11 journey today.
The TPM 2.0 module came Thursday, I paid $35 and could not believe the scalping going on with these boards, insanity.

I like what I am seeing so far, as I did an updated installation, not before I heard the voice of @Craig Anderton, reminding me to backup ;^) I also created a restore point but things are running smoothly.

I am using a Focusrite 4I4 3rd Gen in ASIO mode and Cakewalk projects have been playing back without issue.

It will be interesting how things continue to develop during this rollout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

The TPM 2.0 module came Thursday, I paid $35 and could not believe the scalping going on with these boards, insanity.

I ordered my TPM 2.0 module for $15 the day the requirement was announced. By the very next next day they were nowhere to be found! Dang scalpers!

Please keep us posted on Windows 11 DAW performance. I will probably keep running Win10 for at least two more years. I usually wait at least a year from RTM for major upgrades, and let others volunteer to be unpaid beta testers in the interim. :)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Computer is fine, Windows 11 runs fine, Cakewalk doesn't.
After installation when I start the program the spinning wheel is continuously on and every action (open file, etc) takes a long time displaying a message about Cakewalk not responding. It does but very slowly. In the Task Manager usage seems really minimum and I see nothing justifying this behavior.
I have 
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 gaming elite (TPM 2.0, Secure boot etc. supported)
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
RAM    16,0 GB at 3200
GPU Nvidia GTX 980ti (6GB)
1 x SSD 500 GB NVMe
2 x SSD 500 GB SATA
1 x HDD 500 GB SATA

OS Windows 11 (fully updated to this day)

Any ideas?

ASIO4ALL is iffy.  Works for some and causes system problems for others.

I have the latest Insider version 22454 (issued 8/9) Windows 11 installed.   The Insider versions are not looking for TPM or hardware compatibility.

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard.  I don't use the Realtek for recording but I just tried it and Cakewalk started with no problems.

Windows updates have been known to corrupt Realtek sound drivers.  To eliminate Realtek as the problem, reinstall the Gigabyte Realtek sound driver for your specific model motherboard.

The Gigabyte EasyTune program has been known to cause problems.   I do not have that installed.

Finally if everything else has been eliminated, it looks like a bad Win 11 install.  The Insider versions are "Beta" versions and can be buggy.

• Like 1

If one really cares about DAW performance, it is always best to avoid internal sound chips and/or generic ASIO products. Stick to a pro audio interface with vendor supplied ASIO for best results!

Plus a reliable audio interface vendor should stay on top of Windows latest development, and supply users with the most compatible drivers and bug fixes for them. You get what you pay for in this case!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Athanasios Karalias said:

Any suggestions for a driver? Will ASIO for all work?

What audio device are you running currently? Post a screenshot of the drivers page if you don't know.
If its onboard audio your best bet is to use WASAPI shared or WASAPI exclusive mode which are designed specifically to work well with onboard audio devices in Cakewalk.

I have no worries at all about any of my aging computers being able to run Windows 11 or not. I ran Windows 7 on them up until Noel and Co. ended official support for Windows 7.

I'm rather looking forward to people dumping perfectly good systems because they don't have a TPS chip or whatever. All of my computer systems are ones that someone gave me because whoever owned them felt they "needed" an upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

13 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

ASIO4ALL works for some and not for others (and causes other PC system problems for those that it doesn't work for).

I was pretty clear about this when I stated: "It can be, if you don't know what you are doing with it."