Windows 11 compatibility

HI:)

If anyone has Win 11 installed and running feel free to send us any compatibility issues you might encounter.

Downloaded it but waiting for my weekly Backup on Friday. Testing Win 11 then over the weekend!

Uuups, it's installing immediately:( So good luck to me😁

Greetz;)

Bassman.

P.S. 

Installed! Windows works so far. Loaded CbB and started a few projects. No Problems to plkay them, but I have to make more tests over the weekend. No Time anymore for today.......

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris Marsh said:

2 year old hp Pavilion gaming laptop windows 10. Part of the Windows Insider group, laptop updated automatically to Windows 11,  no problems with Cakewalk, no problems with anything and a first for Windows, it actually loads and runs programs faster!

Thats great to hear. Although a new install typically performs better initially so some of that could be attributed to this.
If you can it would be good to see some comparisons running a session at low latency with the same audio hardware.

8 hours ago, Chris Marsh said:

You think obsoleting laptops that are 4-5 years old is OK? Why?  Lets make all electrical goods obsolete after 5 years, that will go a long way to helping the environment, NOT.

I said borderline :) While forced obsolescense is never a welcome thing, in my experience many laptops tend to start falling apart after 4 years of heavy use. Ive seen it with many laptops over the years. My most recent to fail is the Surface Pro 4. Since over a year ago the touch screen started malfunctioning and other weird hardware related things started happening. I had a HP some years ago that literally melted parts of the MOBO internally!  Heavy laptop users tend to upgrade every 4-5 years or so because of things like this on both on Mac and PC. Also laptop CPU’s tend to get obsolete faster. This is why I would be less surprised if Laptops are not upgradeable - in fact the manufacturers do not support the BIOS for upgrades after a few years.

• Like 1

Dell provides spare/replacement parts for 5 years.  After that, if you need one of their proprietary parts, good luck.  There is a company, in Austin Tx, that resells Dell left over parts that they excess after the 5 years.  Parts are sketchy as its the leftovers.

Hi:)

Ok, I tested a current project in Win 10 and Win 11! (Intel i7-9700/3 GHz, 32 GB Ram)

Made a complete fresh install  with Win 10 a half year ago which I now updated to "DEV" Win 11.

My Old Win 10 is on another Disc so I can start it independently!

I used Steinberg UR44C for both Windows, this is my HomePC,  in Studio I have RME HDSP 24/96 and Audiobox 1818VSL, but no Win11 installed yet and I don't want to at the moment after this test!

Let's look at the project first:

Drums: Superior Drummer 3

Bass(Synth): Avenger (Don't laugh:) I'm a Bassplayer, but for this song I need a Synth Bass)

Piano: Lounge Lizard 4

3 Instances of Session Horns Pro (Kontakt)

Swam Sopran Sax

TTS-1 

22 Instances of Schepps OmniChannel Stereo

8 Tracks Guitar(2 Verse, 2 Intro, 2 Prechorus, 2 Chorus)

22 Miditracks.

2 Reverbs and 1 Delay on Busses used, 2 other Reverbs and 2 Delays on busses not used in this project. (4 Reverbs and 3 Delays as a template)

Always playing the Section with the most Instruments playing!

My old Win10 (had a few problems with paths and plugins cause I did not use this Win10 for half a year)

1024 Samples Buffer (Percentages are up to, if "11" they vary from 6 to 11, I always mean the MAX Percentage)

App: 11 / Engine: 31

512 Samples Buffer

App: 12 / Engine: 34

256 Samples Buffer

App: 14 / Engine: 45

128 Samples Buffer

App: 17 / Engine: 54

64 Samples Buffer

App: 24 / Engine: 65

==========================

Windows 11: looks very nice and I want to switch with all of my PCs to it, but not in this Beta Stadium!

1024 Samples Buffer (Percentages are up to, if "30" they vary from 15 to 30, I always mean the MAX Percentage)

App: 30 / Engine: 50

512 Samples Buffer

App: 30 / Engine: 60

256 Samples Buffer

App: 33 / Engine: 82

128 Samples Buffer

App: 47 / Engine: >200 and I can hear Crackles, sometimes Dropouts appear! Can't work with 128 Samples!

64 Samples Buffer

Not possible to play the project!

The difference is blatant!

Doesn't look pretty good for Windows 11 in this Release stadium! I hope I can switch back to Win 10......

https://www.giga.de/artikel/windows-11-deinstallieren-zurueck-zu-windows-10/

Greetz;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HI:)

@Noel Borthwick

Sorry, in English I can see "Overall App Performance" and "Engine Load", when I have the mouse over the Performance Modul in the Control Bar.

At 1024 Samples Buffer it is in Win 10 11% App Performance and 31% Engine Load MAX, 

in Win 11 30% App Performance and 50% Engine Load MAX with the same Project.

But I have not changed anyhing in Win 11 yet, perhaps it will be better If I switch some knobs in Windows.....there are some post with improvements, I have to do a closer look at it, cause Win 11 is very nice, I like the new features!

Bassman.

P.S. I rapidly look into the Energyoptions in Win 11. The MIN and MAX Performance Values were on 5% and 70%. I changed both to 100% and now it's much better!

Engine Load better than in Win 10 now!

App Performance 24% and Engine Load at 25%, so I'm pretty sure, we can find some knobs for Improvements! I'm diving into it the next days......

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

FWIW a comment on Microsoft not supporting older hardware.  The less that is supported, the less code has to be written.  The less code that needs to be written the less programmers are needed, etc.   

(I was a PCM Telemetry Processor Programmer at NASA on the Apollo and several other Apollo era projects).

• Like 2

Hi:)

@Noel Borthwick

Changed the Energyoptions to High Performance (not visible on first start). (100% MIN and MAX) (You have to manually start "powercfg.cpl")

Changed USB Settings not to switch the Hubs off.(Device Manager)

Changed "No Sound" in the Win Sound Settings. (Settings/Sound)

Now I can Play the Project down to 64 Samples Buffer (2ms) with no crackles. At 48 Samples the first Crackles appear but no Drop Outs!

At 32 Samples Dropouts, but 64 Samples with this Project is fantastic, so I have to revise my first post for sure. I'm not mixing with such low buffers but for recording it is fantastic!

I can now work with it and I will stay with Win 11!

Next point is, that the Drawing of the smooth shape envelope with freehand is now very fast in 4K Resolution (3840x1920). Don't know if it were the bakers or it is Win 11:)

ProChannel Drawing of Gain is now faster too. That's very nice. Could be more faster, but much better than in my Win 10, sometimes I have to wait 2 seconds to see the result of using the Controller with ProChannel. Now it's within the second.

Testing more Win Settings to improve the audio performance, but for now it's very good.

Greetz;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Thanks 1

Weird thing that has been happening to me with a fresh install of Win11: Random VST installers put the 64 bit VST2 in Program Files (x86). Not sure why it happens.

Most installers show the path, so I can change it. But the Slate Digital Manager  just moves everything there, without an option to set the path.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, Jack Stoner said:

FWIW a comment on Microsoft not supporting older hardware.  The less that is supported, the less code has to be written.  The less code that needs to be written the less programmers are needed, etc.   

The less code that needs to be written, the less bugs are introduced!

Microsoft does push hardware changes. 

They were the first to go from 5-1/4" floppies to 3-1/2" hard shell disks.

They were the first to go from 3-1/2" hard shell disks to CD-ROMS.

They were the first to go from CD-ROMS to DVDs.

Like it or not, they do keep pushing the envelope.

• Like 1

On 2 juillet 2021 at 12:04 AM, Chris Marsh said:

2 year old hp Pavilion gaming laptop windows 10. Part of the Windows Insider group, laptop updated automatically to Windows 11,  no problems with Cakewalk, no problems with anything and a first for Windows, it actually loads and runs programs faster!

I'm curious,

How many processes are running int background after the boot?

How much CPU do they use?

How much is used without anuthing running?

What if it appears ro be fast before nothing is actually if you compare it to win10 and I'm not talking about defender and microsoft updates and other apps doing funny business in the background.

Many years ago you start win95 and started making coffee.

I could go forever...(-:

Mario

On 7/8/2021 at 10:23 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

The kicker from the article:

Final thoughts

So. Yeah. That. Another thing that goes without saying is that if you can get this to work with the current test build of Windows 11, it might not work when the actual release of Windows 11 is shipped. It might not even work when the next test build of Windows 11 is pushed out. But if you're impatient, and want to get Windows 11 running on an unsanctioned device, go for it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished installing it on my laptop. So far so good, though I haven't tried any ASIO devices yet since I'm using WASAPI (Shared). I guess it will all boil down to whether the other devices would work on Windows 11 or not, given that there may not be drivers specifically for this OS yet.image.thumb.png.d614136495b4b816137495920eff5918.png

• Thanks 1

I installed Windows 11 on my main workstation and here's where I got my first issue when I encountered was with one of the ASIO devices I use, M-Audio M-Track 2x2M, where Windows 11 recognizes the devices but no audio comes out. What I did was I reinstalled the driver and I restarted my PC. 

After which, everything started to work fine.

Installed Win 11 on my Insider installation yesterday.  Downloaded the Cakewalk update this morning.  Loaded a couple of previous projects (one dates back to Sonar Platinum) and no issues.

As a side note, the update would not download from the Bandlab Assistant, but downloaded without problems when I started Cakewalk and clicked on the update notification.

• Like 1