NI Discovery Series Updates

Magic Russ

Fxxxing updates! 99% of plugin updates are only a waste of time. That's why I hate if there is no detailed update description and that's why I hate those plugin manager programs, because they do a lot of sxxt and you don't know what it is for!

6 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

They are changing the name from Discovery Series to Spotlight Collection.  Perhaps the old name does not translate well into Chinese.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

They are changing the name from Discovery Series to Spotlight Collection.  Perhaps the old name does not translate well into Chinese.

I suspect it's a change in marketing approach.    "Discovery" is kind of like "Ethnic."  It assumes that there is one dominant group (us) and everything in the rest of the universe is "other."

So, for example, all the two billion or more Asian people in the world are categorized as  "ethnic" (as in Jade Ethnic Orchestra) and their culture needs to be "discovered."  By whom? 

Maybe somebody at NI figured out that the bland category "Spotlight" might be a better term to appeal to their international customers.  

Or maybe not.  I'm doing a video on why I prefer the term "World Music" to "Ethnic Music,"  so it's on my mind. 

• Like 6

I didn't express myself well.  This is not about political correctness.  This is not about "sinister" overtones.   I am only looking at this through an aesthetic perspective.

It's just a question of accuracy in my book.  Music has never been about borders.  It flows like a river. Pretty much all of American popular music is a blend.

For me, using the term "World Music" just makes more sense than "Ethnic Music."   AmpleSound sells a banjo, which they brand as Ample Ethno Banjo.  If there's a young woman in Nashville who learned to play banjo from her father, and he learned from his father--does she think she's making ethnic music with it?  She just thinks it's Country.    But to a Chinese company like AmpleSound it is only an Appalachian instrument.  Ethnic music.

To me, when you follow this line of thinking, it doesn't make any sense, that instruments should be categorized as exotic just because of where they are played.

We all live on the same world, right?  Let people in the political world concern themselves we people who are "ethnic."  For us, everybody who makes music is part of our family. 

And by the way, there is no better example of this than forums like this one.  I've made friends from all over the world.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 3

Perhaps "Ethnic" just means "primarily associated with a specific group or area". Guitar is not ethnic, but banjo is. Ukulele is, too. Yes, they can be found around the world but they are PRIMARILY associated with a single area (5-string banjo: an American invention, ukulele: Hawaii). I good with Amplesound's classification.

49 minutes ago, bdickens said:

So discovering things about cultures other than one's own is insensitive?

That's the thing though - NI have customers worldwide, so which culture is "one's own"?. From the perspective of some cultures, there's nothing to discover as those instruments are already mainstream. Imagine NI released a new line of electric guitar libraries sampling Strats, Teles, etc. and called the series Discover Six-Stringed Instruments.

Edited by antler

I'm waiting when my NI updates don't fail.  Windows Installer Cleanup goes hand in hand with NI updates.  I don't use their deleter because you get all of the backup registry files.  I swear NI stuff writes a zillion codes in the registry.