Electric Ballad

Sven-Arne Skarvik

Hi Forum!

Wanted to share this 80's-ish synthy piano'y pop ballad!

I added real acoustic drums to it for once. I kinda like the "papery" snare sound against the otherwise wet track! 

Appreciate any mixing input (particularly re: the drums, cause I'm kinda out of my depth here)!

Your Town (reduced).mp3

Edited by Sven-Arne Skarvik
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:22 PM, Wookiee said:

Mix seems reasonably balanced here on my Adam A7x's, for me the kit is a tad to wide, but that could well just be me.

Nice job, look forward to hearing some more from you.

Thank you! The drums do sound kinda wide don't they? Weird cause I used an X-Y stereo mic for the overheads and I haven't digitally widened them...

On 6/28/2021 at 10:28 AM, AndyB01 said:

Sven, I agree with Nigel, this is terrific work. I love the chord progressions in this, everything about it in fact. Mix sounds just fine here through decent studio cans. Thanks for sharing.

Andy

Thank you, I'm particularly proud of the chords in the bridge going back to the verse!

On 6/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, KurtS said:

Very nice song, very catchy. I like the sound of the drums, what are you using? 

Very cheaply recorded drums. Just straight into my Zoom H6. I used the iZotope Alloy plug-in on all the drum tracks.  It's a legacy plug that I just can't live without. 

On 6/28/2021 at 6:49 PM, bjornpdx said:

Sven
Welcome to the forum. I'm listening through headphones. Sounds good overall but I think the low end could be boosted.
-Bjorn

Thanks! I guess I'm a bit bitten twice shy after having submitted bass-heavy mixes on previous occasions...

Those chords with that rhythm guitar(s) out wide, and the tonality of the drums - what an awesome and effective combo! You really have some great drum sounds here! But the chords are so inventive and the melody invents upon the top of that. Really original and cool.

The lyrics are a mystery but who really cares! there are a couple of Level 42 songs I could think of with a similar feel, but other than that, nothing really suggests "80's" to me about this. I dunno, it doesn't matter. Great song.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1