When trying to save a project I get GENERAL ERROR which stops me from saving, no detail

Hi Guys,

I posted this over at the early access thread thinking it might be related to recent updates BUT it seems not the case as others there mentioned they have same issue occasionally for a long time. SO my post really was in the wrong place and I decoded to give it its own thread here in a more appropriate place

I have build 041 but this VERY HELPFUL ERROR has intermittently happened in previous version of CW also:

CW saving error.jpg

This happens when I simply save the file, I get this error and cannot save the file, have to close project w/o saving. There doesnt seem to be any special circumstance. In this case I was adding drum part tracks. I started with the snare track above ( pre adding it too a track folder ) and saved to see, it saved fine. Then i added all the other drum part tracks, popped them in a drum track folder, went to save and TAA DAA .. this error.

Its not the track folder thing because as I said it has happened a few times last few weeks randomly. Sometimes if i close the file and reopen / add tracks it saves fine then. Not in this case though. I am at a loss 

So anyone else experience this I wonder? 

EDIT: Now this is odd. I decided to try turn off audio engine. Then SAVE .. guess what, it saved. Go figure

Edited by aidan o driscoll

4 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you have a project where this is reproducible contact me and I can try and troubleshoot it with you using a beta build.

Thats the thing @Noel Borthwick ... its very random and not consistent. So hard to reproduce. The only sure way of sorting it is to turn off the audio engine when saving IF that general error pops up

26 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Right but how often does it happen? Once a day, once a week…

Maybe once or twice a week .. BUT what I will do is keep a record from here. Twice yesterday BUT I took a punt on turning off the Audio Engine after the error occurred and the save then works

The track where it is currently happening is mainly AUDIO/WAVs being sent back and forth to me from band members via cloud. As someone else mentioned it seems to happen in track heavy projects. This project currently has 28 AUDIO Tracks, some frozen as they had efx like guitarrig. Outside of that, generally the izotope stuff like Ozone, Neutron ..

Edited by aidan o driscoll

are any of the tracks on OneDrive or Google Drive folders (or other sync services - CarbonCopy, Box, etc)? i've found that if i try to do audio edits or even just mix on one of the sync drives, it will fail, and sometimes it's the "general error" and most times "permission" errors because the OneDrive and Google Drive are aggressively trying to "sync" files while i'm in the middle of using them, so now i make sure i always pause those services for the duration of a session.

7 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Maybe once or twice a week .. BUT what I will do is keep a record from here. Twice yesterday BUT I took a punt on turning off the Audio Engine after the error occurred and the save then works

The track where it is currently happening is mainly AUDIO/WAVs being sent back and forth to me from band members via cloud. As someone else mentioned it seems to happen in track heavy projects. This project currently has 28 AUDIO Tracks, some frozen as they had efx like guitarrig. Outside of that, generally the izotope stuff like Ozone, Neutron ..

Are you using any Steinberg plugins that utilize syncrosoft copy protection? 
Do you have autosave enabled?

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Are you using any Steinberg plugins that utilize syncrosoft copy protection? 
Do you have autosave enabled?

I have steinberg plugs installed BUT not using them in this track. Dont think they use syncrosoft copy protection. I have the Library assistant and download assistant installed is all. 

No autosave not being used. In advanced prefs set to 0

I actually had this same thing happen this week.  I had been working on a project for many days and had no issues saving.  I found that the one thing I did different before I unexpectedly couldn't save the file getting the "General Error" was that I inserted an audio effect to an audio loop clip.  It was Big Fish Audio loop and the effect was Izotope Trash 2.  After deleting Trash 2 from the loop I was able to save the project.  I tried to repeat the problem just now and loaded up the same project and inserted the same effect into an audio clip and there was no problem saving the file.  Seems to be a transient issue.  

14 hours ago, mfanning said:

I actually had this same thing happen this week.  I had been working on a project for many days and had no issues saving.  I found that the one thing I did different before I unexpectedly couldn't save the file getting the "General Error" was that I inserted an audio effect to an audio loop clip.  It was Big Fish Audio loop and the effect was Izotope Trash 2.  After deleting Trash 2 from the loop I was able to save the project.  I tried to repeat the problem just now and loaded up the same project and inserted the same effect into an audio clip and there was no problem saving the file.  Seems to be a transient issue.  

Interesting you should mention IZOTOPE on clips. I originally had IZOTOPE vst on a few of the tracks efx slot. This gave me an odd issue when i was rendering the track out to wav ( export ) .. resultant wav was all whistles at different pitches ( like a dodgy hearing aid ).

So I instead added IZOTOPE EFX to the clips instead of in the track slot and that solved that problem. Export worked fine and Izotope effect worked also in the clip.

As you said the issue in this thread is transient and hard to repeat .. but one wonders is it certain EFX causing this

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem for over many many years :). For me it works when I play the project for a short while and then save.

I guess that for me the cause is that my hard disk where the project resides is in sleep modus.

I have had this problem once in a while, maybe one out of a few hundred saves. When it happens, I click OK in the message box and again try to save. It usually succeeds the second time without changing any settings after the first failure. It has always done a successful save by the third try. I wonder if some of the suggested actions for making it work were just coincidental, since it always saves successfully by trying two or three times without changing anything.

I have yet to lose any work from it, but it sure causes a brief moment of panic.

FWIW, I have Auto-Save enabled, set to two-minute intervals. I have not noticed any combinations of activities or settings that make it happen more often.

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

EDIT: Now this is odd. I decided to try turn off audio engine. Then SAVE .. guess what, it saved. Go figure

Well, That worked for whatever oddball reason. 😀 I only have one project that ever did that and for a year I've been forced to leave it on the drive it was on because it would not save to a new location without the GENERAL ERROR message. Thank You for figuring it out.

• Like 1