Can't install Cakewalk [VstPlugins folder wants to go to inexistant disk...]

Arjen Fortuin

Question

Hi!

I changed my drive letter in the midst of installing software. (Not DURING installation, just in between installing all sorts of plugins and such. AFTER installing Cakewalk in any case)
Therefore some programs had problems starting... I referred their settings and shortcuts etc. to the right folder/drive again and they were fine.
Cakewalk was fine too, until I wanted to update it. The update installer said it could not find it on the Drive it was somehow/somewhere noted to be installed on. That'd be the old drive letter....... I have never regretted something this much. :P

So I reinstall the whole thing. Scanned for leftover files and registry entries, even. Deleted it all, rebooted, ran Bandlab Assistant and ran the installer.

When configuring the vstplugins folder... the 'Browse...' button is greyed out, and so is the path text entry field.

1729782584_Screenshot2021-06-27150859.png.0e4acaa38d813f3d70c038eab78292ca.png

Pressing next results in a dialog that tells me to choose another folder. And I still can not after pressing OK.

What now?

I will try reinstalling Bandlab too. Perhaps Bandlab is asked where it thinks standard folders are... and I haven't completely reinstalled Bandlab yet.
If there are any other ideas. Like where to find a file or a registry key containing these standard folders.. please let me know!
Reinstalling Bandlab did not work. Same problem persists.... I am now without the DAW I need to complete my work, and without a way to install it, short of changing the Drive Letter.
Should not have tried to fix, nor update, while I had acute work to do. Lessen learned there, too....

Sincerely,

Arjen

Edited by Arjen Fortuin

5 answers to this question

A small work-around to temporarily at least get Cakewalk installed is simply renaming the Drive G again...
It's kind of crazy I can not adjust this in Bandlab/Cakewalk and I'm simply stuck with a drive name when I install this software, though.

Edit: It installs. But please give me the option to point to different folders and tell Bandlab/Cakewalk where things are in the future. Perhaps even a 'Move install folder' // 'Move VST plugin folder' (the latter is tricky as a lot of people share VST plugins between hosts) // 'Move Picture Cache' etc.

Perhaps even consolidating the jungle of folders that Cakewalk comes with would be a great idea.

Edited by Arjen Fortuin

перейдите в regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Cakewalk Music Software
Software \ VSTPlugins
и измените диск

2021-06-28_12-36-31.png

Edited by imstre
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, imstre said:

перейдите в regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Cakewalk Music Software
Software \ VSTPlugins
и измените диск

2021-06-28_12-36-31.png

I ended up finding it, indeed. I edited it, but it reverted back somehow, and the installer again pointed to the 'ghost drive'. :(
I just renamed the drive to G instead of my preferred letter, had to fix some other programs that allow for being pointed to a changed install folder, and it now works again. What a hassle! :P

Thanks for your input, though. I hope it may help others in the same/similar position. For me it didn't work, but perhaps for a next reader!

On 6/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, Arjen Fortuin said:

So I reinstall the whole thing. Scanned for leftover files and registry entries, even. Deleted it all, rebooted, ran Bandlab Assistant and ran the installer.
When configuring the vstplugins folder... the 'Browse...' button is greyed out, and so is the path text entry field.

No need to use third party tools to perform a clean re-install.

Follow the directions provided on this support page https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab

Be aware, step 8 will delete all 3rd party plug-ins under the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" folder. If there are any 3rd party plug-ins installed there (usually they would be in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins") consider saving the folder to somewhere else before  proceeding with step 8 and restore the folder(s) after running the CbB installer.

A clean should enable all prompts in the installers.