Staying cool Kenny?

craigb

16 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

it all boils down to money and those in charge with power.

What the world's leaders should do is all fly into the UK in their individual their private jets just to have a bbq and discuss how to reduce "carbon footprints" while conveniently ignoring all the quarantine rules they made......

Oh wait........

On the subject of power, I've yet to see anyone answer the question of where all the electricity to charge the "green" cars that they want us all to drive is going to come from. There was talk of potential "brownouts" here last year just because people were home more and using more electric. What are they going to do when every home has multiple cars plugged in too? Not to mention all the charging that will be required en route if you actually want to go anywhere.

Edited by paulo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I've yet to see anyone answer the question of where all the electricity to charge the "green" cars that they want us all to drive is going to come from.

Solar Panels on your roof...

Oh wait, that has to be painted white.

Put the panels on your lawn...

Sorry, that is not very "GREEN" 😀

11 hours ago, CoveCamper said:

Put the panels on your lawn...

Sorry, that is not very "GREEN"

Most of it is in the shade all day, so they wouldn't be much use without first making squirrels homeless and that's not allowed.

53 minutes ago, paulo said:

Most of it is in the shade all day, so they wouldn't be much use without first making squirrels homeless and that's not allowed.

Only if it's red squirrels. Grey squirrels can f*ck off.

• Great Idea 1

48 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

The UK government cronyocacy has just added the British Antarctic Territories to the list of places we're allowed to travel to, which is nice ... in the middle of the antarctic winter.

I remember when Idiocracy was just a film.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

Just wondering - if you paint your roof white, doesn't that reflect the heat back into the atmosphere, which increases global air temp, increasing sea level rise?

And what of the energy and oil? resources to make the white paint, and to make more of when you need to repaint because it wore off from sun and wind and rain? And what if the environmental impact of the washed-off paint residue?

These are the questions!

According to the scientists who know about these things, the white paint reflects the heat out of the atmosphere. It's the radiant heat from the ground and buildings that is the problem. A major concern of losing the ice caps is that their white color reflects a lot of the heat out of the atmosphere, and the loss of that white lets the sea and land absorb and then re-radiate the heat.

And I have to paint my roof every 8 years or so to keep the UV from deteriorating the substrate, so it's no burden to make that paint white.

When I grew up in South Florida, before Air Conditioning was a home thing, almost everybody had a white roof. The white roof cooled the house by reflecting the heat instead of absorbing it.

And yes, humans are on the road to extinction of the species. It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but there will probably be hard times for my grandchildren. I just want to do my part.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

According to the scientists who know about these things, the white paint reflects the heat out of the atmosphere. It's the radiant heat from the ground and buildings that is the problem.

That's the point I was making about our highways being asphalt. Just having an initiative where all new roads must be concrete would significantly improve things. 

I'm always astonished how my propane tank is actually cool to the touch. It's painted white. I think it was glossy at one point but it's old and looks semi to flat now. I've gone out and touched it when the actual temp was 105 F and it was cool. It sits in my back yard wide open. Direct sunlight hits it from sunrise to sunset. 

Btw ... It's been in the mid 80s here and raining almost nonstop this year since the cold snap broke. 

16 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

That's the point I was making about our highways being asphalt. Just having an initiative where all new roads must be concrete would significantly improve things. 

<...snip...>

In the 1950s a lot of concrete roads were being built, but the oil lobby took control, and they concrete roads slowly were phased out.

Too bad, because not only are they a better reflective color, but they don't need resurfacing and repair as much as asphalt does, at least here in Florida.

I just can't believe how many dark roofs are around now, When I was growing up (before central AC) everyone had a white roof.

Even if you use AC, the dark roof can add hundreds of dollars to your cooling bill. But you would be much kinder to the environment to whiten your roof and turn the AC off.

Personally, I think the earth is in big trouble. It's getting close to the point of no-return, and people are acting like there is nothing wrong. The fires, the heat waves, the coral reefs, the expanding deserts, and so on.

Our summers in the town I grew up in are 8-10 degrees warmer than they were when I was a child. The ocean is claiming more and more of the beachfront. The dry season is lasting longer and the rainy season not as wet.

I might not see the extinction of humanity, but my grandchildren probably will. On the other hand, I might see the hardships like food shortages due to climate change and overpopulation, though.

Perhaps I'm erring on the side of caution, but I'd rather do that than ignore the changes I've seen happening in my lifetime so far.

I don't use AC. I keep my roof bright white. I don't keep a lawn but planted over 30 trees and native vegetation, so the only 'grass' that I mow is the road right-of-way; 6' around my house and under the clothesline. Yes, we hang all buy our delicate laundry, so we don't have to use the energy-sucking dryer. The native plants in my yard need no fertilizer or supplemental watering. The native trees make oxygen and cool the area. I drive my car in a gas saving manner. It's the smallest minivan I could buy that fits my work gear (PA set and instruments). I got sterilized after siring two children (I'm just a toy now). Plus quite a few other things.

If we all choose to do a little, the sum total is a lot.

9 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Hold on about the concrete. The manufacture of cement is one of the largest carbon producing sources in the world.

The future is basically vacuum cleaners and filters, making carbon bricks, and building houses out of those.

But who would want a house made out of vacuum cleaners??? 🤔

😜

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Personally, I think the earth is in big trouble. It's getting close to the point of no-return, and people are acting like there is nothing wrong. The fires, the heat waves, the coral reefs, the expanding deserts, and so on.

I would not fall for all that crisis crap "Notes", the earth is fine. As a matter of fact it is green and lush and thriving. Vegetation loves CO2.

Here is a Nasa scientist in an interview  that is eye opening to me. And he believes that humans are making an impact on the climate, but he put's it in perspective.

CoveCamper, I've seen it with my own eyes, and well over 95% of the peer reviewed, published climatologists from all over the world agree. There will always be a minority who disagree, and who knows, sometimes they are correct. In this instance I doubt it.

I am going to go with the majority.

I said I've seen it with my own eyes.

When I was a child, if the temperature got above 85 degrees, the headline on the Pompano Beach Town News screamed in giant headlines "IT'S A SCORCHER". And it rarely got over 85. Now 90s are common. That's global warming.

I grew up in Pompano and Las Olas Blvd and streets in Miami Beach never-ever flooded, even during King Tides. Now they flood on regular high tides. That's ocean rising.

And yes, trees love CO2, but there are fewer and fewer and fewer trees to make use of that CO2 as mankind bulldozes them over to make room for the demands of human overpopulation.

The ice caps are melting. The droughts are worse. The fires are worse. The reefs I used to skin-dive on as a child are dying, the naysayers are saying nothing is wrong, but to me the evidence speaks otherwise.

So I will do my best to take care of what we have left. I think it's the civilized thing to do. YMMV

• Thanks 1