Win11 configuration to “Disable Driver Signature” for Roland/Edirol PCR Midi Keyboards??

Cecelius2

BACKGROUND:   Back in 2015 there was a thread on the old Cakewalk site that showed us “How to get Roland/Edirol devices to work with Windows 10”. http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-ultimate-guide-to-get-your-RolandEdirol-devices-to-work-with-Windows-10-Updated-m3267234.aspx There we learned to use an edited Roland driver file that changed an “inf” file to work with Windows 10. There were different methods, but it required us to “Disable Driver Signature” and then to install the changed driver for the Roland device. It worked!

For me, I used this method: 1) hold the “Shift” key while restarting Windows, then 2) select “Troubleshoot”, then 3) select “Advanced Options”, then 4) select  “Startup Settings”, then 5) select “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement”, then 6) boot the computer with drivers signature enforcement disabled, then 7) install the edited Roland driver and then, 8) plug in the Roland device. It WORKED GREAT! 

Our beloved old Roland midi keyboards worked even though Roland had stopped updating their drivers for these products.

Now that Windows 11 is announced and soon to be released, it will require enhanced security features including TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot enabled.

QUESTION:    Does anybody know if Windows11 will allow configuration to “Disable Driver Signature” and install an edited driver for our Roland midi controllers?

I realize that it is very early and Windows 11 has only been announced, but some of you already have beta or leaked versions of Windows 11 installed.  I also understand that we may have to edit the "inf" file again to have the “11” information .  But Does Win11 even allow a configuration to Disable Driver Signature configuration so we can install such a driver?

It would be ashamed to loose use of beloved Roland midi keyboards because of upgrading Windows 10 to Windows 11.

So, while it is early in the Window11 rollout, I thought I would start this thread so we can learn if our older Roland midi devices can work on Windows 11

Thanks for any help with this.

Edited by Cecelius2

10 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I'll try tonight (CET time). I've got Win11 set up for testing , and  I believe I still have the fixed drivers for 10.

I will share the results later.

Thanks so very much!  This will be helpful information.  I am interested in knowing if there is still the option to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".  I know that we may have to edit the driver's "inf" file  to change the  windows 10 references to 11, but that this would not work if Windows 11 does not allow us to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".

Thanks for looking into this!

Edited by Cecelius2

1 hour ago, Sander Verstraten said:

So the basic Advanced Startup -> Disable Driver Signing is still there

But: still trying to figure out how to modify the *.inf record.

Just logging in with Driver Signing disabled and installing the windows 10 edited  *.inf file doesn't work. 

Thanks.  At least the Advance Startup still has the option to Disable Driver Signature.   That means there is hope.

I figured I (or someone who did the "hack" of the inf file back in 2015) would need to edit the "inf" file so the necessary lines had the "11".    I realize it may not work, but it would be nice to be able to keep our PCR800's since they have worked and are working still (with some editing).

Please keep us posted of your progress.

Again, thanks so much for this information.

C2

12 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I did change the file to update the references from Win10 to Win11.

And it did ask if I wanted to install the unsigned drivers. But after that it still would not recognize the PCR500.

First, let me say thank you again.  I (we) really appreciate your efforts.

Second, this is disappointing.  While this is disappointing news, this is not unexpected.

Third, I plan to wait until Roland releases updated midi controller drivers for their current products.  Then I will download one of those drivers and take a look at that working win11 Roland driver's "inf" file.  Perhaps seeing a working Roland Win 11 driver will help to see if there is something that can be edited on the PCR drivers.  I know this is a long shot, but it is my plan now.

Finally, while the PCR drivers may not work in Win11, I plan on keeping my PCR800 to use on one of my DAW computers that does not meet Win11 requirements.  I plan on keeping this older DAW computer working as long as it is possible.  I just don't want to throw the PCR in the trash since it still works on Win 10. 

[[EDIT:  I also hope that we will be able to run Cakewalk and Cubase and Studio One offline on Win 10 even after the Oct 2025 end of Windows 10.  BTW, I have always run my DAWS online, but this debacle with Windows 11 CPU requirements may mean that at least on my current WIN10 DAW computer, I will try to run it offline--if that is an option after Oct 2025 . I will  eventually purchase a new  Desktop computer for my main DAW eventually to run Win11, but I plan on waiting since my current Desktop Intel DAWs work fine .]]  

Again, thanks very, very much for your efforts with the PCR and Windows 11.

C2

Edited by Cecelius2

8 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Weird thing: I removed the PCR500 completely and installed the INF again. And now the keyboard is working under Win11.

Not sure what got stuck the first time I tried...

This is Great news!  Thanks. 

Two questions

First--  to be clear, you got it working?

Second,  did you use the edited inf file for the driver with Win 11 information or did you use the  win 10 driver?

Again thanks for doing this.

Edited by Cecelius2

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I know more thait is possible to install on win 11. just open inf file and copy  the string under  [roland.ntamd64.6.2] 

%RDID0027DeviceDesc%=RDID0027Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0033 ; PCR     <--- this one

just below the next one [ roland.NTamd64.7 ]. 

u  should have now something like this 

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0027DeviceDesc%=RDID0027Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0033 ; PCR

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; Windows11
%RDID0027DeviceDesc%=RDID0027Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0033 ; PCR

I replaced the not supported words with windows 11. then install after disabling driver signature and it's done, ez pz. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this info.  I just got a new PC with Win11 Pro and I was prepared to edit the inf file to show Win11 info as you descirbed; however, I decided first to try the Win10 (hacked) driver (the one that was hacked back in 2015 to allow us to use it with Win10).  Good news, I was able to install the PCR800 by using the Win10 hacked driver from 2015. 

So, I can confirm that Windows 11 can load the edited/hacked version of the  Roland/Edirol PCR800 driver.

Still, I thank you for this info.

C2