How to copy and paste multiple MIDI tracks into one MIDI track

Al Robbins

Question

I used Drum Replacer to create MIDI tracks from audio of our drummer.  Each drum has its own audio track. So, I would duplicate the audio track(kick drum first), use Drum Replacer on the duplicate track. Then converted the Drum Replacer track to a MIDI track. Then I did the same thing with the snare. But when I try to combine the snare MIDI track with the kick MIDI track I only see one track - but hear both when I send them to Addicte Drums 2.  What am I missing here so that I can see both MIDI parts in the one MIDI track? Is there some setting I am forgetting to change?

Thanks,

Al

11 answers to this question

Unlike other instruments, which are distinguished from one another by playing on a different MIDI channel, the different drums voices are denoted by their MIDI note number, which is why you can hear them both although they are playing on the same MIDI channel/track. If you look at the note numbers or pitch, each drum is playing on a different one. 

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

Unlike other instruments, which are distinguished from one another by playing on a different MIDI channel, the different drums voices are denoted by their MIDI note number, which is why you can hear them both although they are playing on the same MIDI channel/track. If you look at the note numbers or pitch, each drum is playing on a different one. 

How can I make it so that all the MIDI notes show up on one MIDI track? 

I’m trying to set up like the Addictive Drums 2 beats look in the AD2 interface. 

Edited by Al Robbins

There are a couple of ways to do it, but since you have them on "different" tracks...

You KNOW in Cakewalk by Bandlab, you can "see" all the midi tracks at the same time?

Go to PRV and click on your first track (they are on the right side IIR).  Then control click on the other track you want to "see"...

Now you can click back and forth on between the two to edit...

4 minutes ago, arlen2133 said:

Here's what I'm talking about.  Reference guide page 788...

image.png.ccbd992c31325d63a7dab26127c3a048.png

image.png

Mother Trucker!! It’s all right there. 

Thanks Arlen - I will try this tonight when I am at my PC.  Does that mean there is no way to combine two or more MIDI tracks?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Robbins said:

Mother Trucker!! It’s all right there. 

Thanks Arlen - I will try this tonight when I am at my PC.  Does that mean there is no way to combine two or more MIDI tracks?

there is... I was just giving you one (that I could find quickly while at my work desk.  I know that if you take one of the clips and control drag it to the other midi track, you can bounce them together as one midi clip (I do it all the time). 

image.png.852bd8d9e706e9c73786c9429b7e6a73.png

Edited by arlen2133

3 minutes ago, arlen2133 said:

there is... I was just giving you one (that I could find quickly while at my work desk.  I know that if you take one of the clips and control drag it to the other midi track, you can bounce them together as one midi clip (I do it all the time). 

image.png.852bd8d9e706e9c73786c9429b7e6a73.png

Definitely will try this method first because that’s what I was already doing minus the bounce to clips.  Thanks! 

27 years of analog audio engineering  and only 3 years of digital audio engineering and I am still learning new things. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Just now, Al Robbins said:

Definitely will try this method first because that’s what I was already doing minus the bounce to clips.  Thanks! 

27 years of analog audio engineering  and only 3 years of digital audio engineering and I am still learning new things. Much appreciated. 

You're welcome man!  glad I could help.  👍

Control shift while dragging will copy the track and maintain it's location on the time line. If you just hold the shift key while dragging it will preserve the timing but will move the events  ( merge ) without copying. Open the clips pane  select - bounce to clips-  and everything will be merged and visible.