ASSINGING MULTIPLE MIDI TRACKS TO A BUS VIA THE INSPECTOR NOT POSSIBLE

Arka Banerjee

IN CAKEWALK MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS CAN BE ASSIGNED AT ONSE VIA THE INSPECTOR BY SELECTING ALL THE REQUIRED TRACKS THEN GOING  TO THE 

INSPECTOR AND WHILE HOLDING CNTRL AND SELECTING A THE DESIRED BUSS.

BUT THIS CAN'T BE DONE FOR SYNTH TRACKS.

IN ORDER TO ADD MULTIPLE SYNTH TRACKS YOU HAVE TO ASSIGN THEM ONE BY ONE.

THIS IS REALLY PAINFUL IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF SYNTHS TO ASSIGN TO A BUSS.

EVERY TIME I TRY TO SELECT ALL THE REQUIRED SYNTH TRACKS AND ASSIGN THEM, THE WAY I DO WITH AUDIO. IT ASSIGNS ONLY ONE TRACKD

IF IT IS A BUG THEN DO FIX IT.

AND IF IT'S A FEATURE CAKEWALK DOESN'T HAVE THEN CONSIDER ADDING IT IN THE NEXT UPDATE 😄😄 

I just tried it with a mix of synth and simple instrument tracks and it worked a treat. I hadn't realized that Quick Groups worked from the Inspector as well. Neat.

Maybe you're selecting a MIDI track along with your synth/instrument tracks? MIDI tracks can't be routed to audio buses. Only things that put out audio can be routed to audio buses.

Conceptual thing you might not know: there are two kinds of instrument tracks you can have in Cakewalk. One is the "Instrument" or "Simple Instrument" track, which contains both MIDI and audio data. The output of these can be routed to buses. The other type is the Split Instrument, which is a set of separate MIDI and Synth tracks where the MIDI track is already routed to the Synth. Only the output of the Synth track from these can be routed to audio buses.

BTW, someone else may have mentioned it, but posting in all caps is forum convention for YELLING. Use it sparingly, if at all. 😊

There are two basic track types in CbB, audio and MIDI.

An Instrument track is a hybrid presentation of a MIDI track input and audio track output controls with the data portion of the track displaying either audio or MIDI data depending on the state of the track. Frozen instrument tracks display audio otherwise they display MIDI data.

There is only one type of instrument track.

Buses only handle audio. The audio may be from other buses, audio or instrument tracks.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I just tried it with a mix of synth and simple instrument tracks and it worked a treat. I hadn't realized that Quick Groups worked from the Inspector as well. Neat.

Maybe you're selecting a MIDI track along with your synth/instrument tracks? MIDI tracks can't be routed to audio buses. Only things that put out audio can be routed to audio buses.

Conceptual thing you might not know: there are two kinds of instrument tracks you can have in Cakewalk. One is the "Instrument" or "Simple Instrument" track, which contains both MIDI and audio data. The output of these can be routed to buses. The other type is the Split Instrument, which is a set of separate MIDI and Synth tracks where the MIDI track is already routed to the Synth. Only the output of the Synth track from these can be routed to audio buses.

BTW, someone else may have mentioned it, but posting in all caps is forum convention for YELLING. Use it sparingly, if at all. 😊

I'm sorry for the caps bro thanks for mentioning it 😊

And thanks for the info abt the busses too it's kinda cool learning new stuff from this forum 

I fixed the problem BTW. Now I do It from the mixer channel and it works.

I select all my synths and go to the out channel and while pressing cntrl click on the desired buss. 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:25 PM, scook said:

There are two basic track types in CbB, audio and MIDI.

<snip>

There is only one type of instrument track

Trippy. CbB offers me something called "Split Instrument Track" when I click on the "+" sign above the track headers. I've always assumed that it was a proper noun, since it's capitalized, but then the dialog also capitalizes other things, and they are not the names of things so who knows.

image.png.e25064b146e67f586a33f46d574ce01d.png

When I choose that it creates both a MIDI and a Synth track with the MIDI track already routed to the Synth track. Very handy.

So if there's only one kind of Instrument track, then this command instructs Cakewalk to "Create an Instrument track, then split it before it's displayed."

I prefer my Instrument tracks split, be it noun or verb. And I use Synth tracks all the time, even if they're not "basic."

Edited by Starship Krupa

Yeah, the split instrument track is basically the audio & MIDI tracks separated.

I almost never use split instrument tracks nowadays, as I hate the fact I've got twice as many tracks, and also it makes it less clear what is a real audio track and what is actually just a source for instrument audio.

Nowadays you should be able to just about everything you could with split instrument instrument tracks with Per Output Instrument tracks.  I think we've sorted out all the loose ends such as the Replace Synth scenarios, automation etc.

If anyone can think of anything you can't do, please let me know...

26 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Glad you ask this . . . There's no way when inserting a sample to choose Mono or Stereo output for it. 

The same with the add track menu - shown in a previous reply above OR by shortcuts CTRL+T and the INSERT button (One I use a lot during recording) and they dont follow up previous settings. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

19 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Nowadays you should be able to just about everything you could with split instrument instrument tracks with Per Output Instrument tracks.  I think we've sorted out all the loose ends such as the Replace Synth scenarios, automation etc.

OK, I'll play, here are a couple Soft synth audio recording and the related Waveform preview for synth tracks

3 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Glad you ask this . . . There's no way when inserting a sample to choose Mono or Stereo output for it. 

The same with the add track menu - shown in a previous reply above OR by shortcuts CTRL+T and the INSERT button (One I use a lot during recording) and they dont follow up previous settings. 

image.png.9226ba689f9660e4035808694fdeef7a.png

7 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

fair enough - although personally I just freeze the track, or if I need to keep it copy the frozen audio to another audio track 

While I have not personally experienced the problem, over the years there have been reports of MIDI data vanishing when unfreezing a track. 

Also, in order to freeze a track there must be MIDI data in the track and it is impossible to manipulate the plug-in UI while freezing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

image.png.9226ba689f9660e4035808694fdeef7a.png

I'm not talking about instrument tracks. I'm talking about regular Audio Tracks - NOT INSTRUMENT INSERTS.

When inserting a SAMPLE,  I want to choose MONO or STEREO from the dialog box. Same for the PC insert button shortcut.

The SAME goes for recording VOCALS /GUITARS.  

And every time I press the INSERT key it should keep the memory.

A2082851423_Screenshot2021-07-02001856.png.c20b3bff441f84bc40b1dd547e5a3156.png1461483327_Screenshot2021-07-02001935.png.7ef90a8c9a64262157f970037c137789.png

Edited by Will_Kaydo