PA Mega Sale

cclarry

On 6/28/2021 at 3:04 AM, ZokZTM said:

TE-100 is special!

Yes it is.

The Lindell TE-100 eq is really a good eq once you get use to the UI. That Acme onto comp is another gem. 

The Lindell 254E is nice too.

Townsend comp is also another great comp. Excellent.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Lindell TE-100 has the magic pixie dust, eh?

Yep. Demo it, they have a 14 day trial. But read the manual, then try it out and I think you will agree. It's just got something.

• Like 3

The UI looks a bit intimidating, kind of like the telephone switchboard in an old hotel.

The other ones I'm considering are the Maag EQ4 and Millenia NSEQ-2. The Millenia assures me that it has a 300V tube and discrete J-FET signal path, which is pretty impressive for something that is, in actuality, a computer program.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

The UI looks a bit intimidating, kind of like the telephone switchboard in an old hotel.

The other ones I'm considering are the Maag EQ4 and Millenia NSEQ-2. The Millenia assures me that it has a 300V tube and discrete J-FET signal path, which is pretty impressive for something that is, in actuality, a computer program.

I'd demo them.

Air band on the Maag EQ4 to me is unique you don't find on other EQs, especially the 40K setting.

Millenia NSEQ-2 is quite good, but is clean enough that it can sound pretty generic, like you would get with a digital EQ.  the M/S is a nice feature, so have to look at the rest of your collection.  It was an analog EQ designed to be clean instead of the typical tube hardware EQ.  

Agree the TE-100 is basically something you have to actually learn from a UI perspective, then others are pretty obvious how they work.

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The UI looks a bit intimidating,

Yeah I thought the same thing. That's why I suggested to read the manual. Won't take long for you to get a handle on it. It just looks weird, but it's really a simple design.

The TE-100 Followed by Waves MV2 is an inspiring combo on bass. I usually duplicate the bass track, HPF one and LPF the other, both at around 300 Hz. A bit of compression on each to level them some and then send both to an AUX track along with the DI (if there is one). This way I've got control over the low end and the high end and can blend them into the AUX track. The bass AUX has the TE and MV2. Doesn't matter the style, it makes the bass sound amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 6/29/2021 at 2:54 AM, filo said:

I just introduced Mr. Friedman BE-100 to his DS-40 brother in my VST warehouse, thank you PA ;)

Just did the same.  So glad I did - it's superb.  Really hoping for another reset.  Got the ADA Delay but wish I'd opted for the flanger.  First World Problems.

Edited by Marc Cormier
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sarine said:

It's supposed to be an equalizer.

Indeed, that's why I asked. It's supposed to be a "character" EQ, and oftimes those have certain sweetening tricks they are known for, like the Pultec's "bass trick," or an "air band." I figured with this thing that maybe back in the day some coked-to-the-gills hairy guy might have worked out that if you set the Low Boost on 12dB/oct. then turn the 60Hz cut to -9 it resonates with the kundalini or something.

I seek opinions, because this is an area where my own knowledge and experience are lacking and there's much accumulated knowledge here. I don't know character EQ's very well. From what I read they can be kinda specialized. It could be great on bass and saxophone and weak on guitar or whatever.

I ran some pink noise through it and with LOW BOOST it's putting on a slightly rounded low shelf. The bump in the shelf might be part of why it sounds so good on bass. There's something other than just EQ going on with it (which is audible). They're trying to model the response of the tubes, the transformers, etc. It has a setting for if you want to just use the pure EQ curves and bypass the analog emulation.

Speaking of air bands, when playing around with the TE-100, I do kinda like what it's doing to a vocal when I hit the 4K button, switch to 12dB per octave and give it about +7.

I liked what it did on bass when I set the filter to 12dB/oct. 170Hz and gave it about +3 or so. It gave it a nice presence and girth.

Seems like it would also be good for "what the heck is that thing? That's my secret weapon." exchanges with people looking over the shoulder.

• Like 1