Windows 11

cclarry

14 hours ago, antler said:

They might relax some CPU requirements, but I don't think they will relax the security aspect. As much as some people dislike 'forced' Windows updates, it's probably been a good thing for computing in general. Yes, things can go wrong after an update, but it also means that millions of computers around the world are relatively up to date; not everyone is as computer literate as people here, and leaving their OS unpatched would just potentially result in a mass bot-net army that could potentially affect everyone else (e.g. spam-bots, DDoS bots).

If 'forced' Windows updates would only impact the operating system, then I could probably agree with you! But this stupid company called MS is merging everything: OS, security, desktop, browser, file explorer, drivers, user tools, shop, social media components, ...  Does it make sense to force updates on all these items? Some of them even not requested by the user! NO! SURELY NOT!

For me it is the same thing with the newer CbB updates. There are so many add-ons that I don't need/like. I really would prefer that CbB was more modular, i.e. that the user could choose which components he wants. If it was like this, then I would still update, but as it is now I prefer not! I hope that I still can reactivate 2020.08 in the next years, otherwise I have to go back to Splat, probably!

37 minutes ago, sarine said:

Some handy apps to make Windows more tolerable:

Free:

Everything: https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#what_is_everything

PowerToys Run: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run

+1000 for Power Toys Run and Everything. Everything's file search is incredible. So so much better and efficient than Window's search tool.

4 hours ago, sarine said:

In my experience every Windows version has improved on the previous - yes, even Vista.

Hold on... when Vista came out it was almost, and I mean almost, as bad as ME!!! : ) They did fix Vista and it really ended up being a decent OS, just barley. But I only ran Vista on my home PC. I still was running XP on my music PC!! : )

2 hours ago, sarine said:

Directory Opus: https://www.gpsoft.com.au

Excellent tool!! I demo'd it and then found out how much it would cost to get a full version and I cringed. (I am a cheap sukka!!). However, I found that as I went back to regular Explorer, I missed Directory Opus. A lot!!!  So I saved the money and got it. Have not regretted it at all. This was one of my more useful software purchases. Highly recommend it.

49 minutes ago, Grem said:

Excellent tool!! I demo'd it and then found out how much it would cost to get a full version and I cringed. (I am a cheap sukka!!). However, I found that as I went back to regular Explorer, I missed Directory Opus. A lot!!!  So I saved the money and got it. Have not regretted it at all. This was one of my more useful software purchases. Highly recommend it.

I ended up getting the 5 pack for all my computers. I can't live without it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Grem said:

Hold on... when Vista came out it was almost, and I mean almost, as bad as ME!!! : ) They did fix Vista and it really ended up being a decent OS, just barley. But I only ran Vista on my home PC. I still was running XP on my music PC!! : )

Initially I found myself switching between XP and Vista a lot, but ultimately I found that Vista improved on multitasking and multithreading. Also, 64-bit XP must have been the worst Windows I'd ever tried. I had loads of problems with unstable drivers and random crashing and BSOD's. At that point, I had already been transitioning to 8GB RAM so Vista was the only viable choice.

In retrospect I think many people were dismayed by the way Vista utilized RAM. It seemed to chug all of their glorious 4GB of RAM, and some of it was questionably allocated to preloading executables for faster start-up times. Vista would free this RAM on demand, but if you only looked at the resource monitor with no apps running, you'd think something was seriously wrong. I mostly had no problems performance-wise after moving to 64-bit and 8GB RAM, after the first Service Pack. By SP2 Vista easily trumped XP.

44 minutes ago, Grem said:

Indeed it is. I absolutely love it and its customizability. Not a bad price having spent some time in the audio software realm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sarine said:

Some handy apps to make Windows more tolerable:

Paid:

Directory Opus: https://www.gpsoft.com.au

Process Lasso: https://bitsum.com

I am an even cheapa sucka than Grem. I am not sure I can bring myself to spend $89  AUD on a "file manager" (yes, I know it can do a whole lot more). It does look like a geek's dream tool and would be right up my alley if not for the price. I also have multiple machines I would want to use this on, and I really can't see myself spending $249 on this for 5 licenses. 

Process Lasso looks really interesting too, but I just don't do subscriptions. Give me the option to buy at a reasonable price and I would be all over this puppy.

28 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I just don't do subscriptions. Give me the option to buy at a reasonable price and I would be all over this puppy.

You can buy it outright too - £18 annual or £27 purchase (other currencies are available :-)).

• Thanks 1