Windows 11

cclarry

3 hours ago, abacab said:

I got a similar notice as your AMD fTPM when I went exploring the BIOS for my Intel based Asus board. Intel TPP is the firmware alternatively to the physical TPM chip.

But since I found my TPM part in stock, I went ahead and ordered one.

After reading this article (TPM-2.0-A-Brief-Introduction.pdf), I would also go with the chip rather than fTPM if I had to choose one over the other.

53 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

If you can find one. After the Windows 11 announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a run on TPM modules.

Probably so. My previous sources are now showing "out of stock". I ordered the day the TPM news went out, and thankfully my part has already been shipped! For $15, I couldn't resist hedging my bets! :)

Edited by abacab

20 minutes ago, abacab said:

Probably so. My previous sources are now showing "out of stock". I ordered the day the TPM news went out, and thankfully my part has already been shipped! For $15, I couldn't resist hedging my bets! :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237446-REG/asus_tpm_m_r2_0_14_1_pin_tpm_module.html

Expected availability: 2-4 weeks

$11.99

Asus TPM 2.0.jpg

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Currently out of stock though. But Windows 11 won't be released in the next 2 to 4 weeks will it?

The B&H site will let you sign up for notifications when it's back in stock.

As far as Windows 11, no worries. You have until October 2025 to get ready... :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Apparently you can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement by replacing Windows 11's appraiserres.dll with the one from Windows 10.... 

see: https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-without-tpm-2-0/  ... and scroll down to the "Modify the ISO image without using UltraISO" section

I'm not sure if this will be enough though... apparently if you're using an Intel chip you also need a 8th gen or greater.

• Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

Before spending money on a TPM module, a word of advice.
Pretty much any PC since intel 8th gen should have a TPM module.

As for laptops, my current laptop is a cheap acer with intel i5 7th gen and has TPM.
So I'd guess most laptops from 2016 onward are probably compatible.
Likely even some earlier models.

image.png.05d0d658c6088289214fa6f5ae74f727.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

So does this mean it doesn't have one or it has one that's not being used ?

Most likely it's disabled in the bios.
When the time to upgrade comes, look for "AMD CPU fTPM" (or something similar) in the BIOS.
Your CPU and board should have TPM support.

Edited by Cristian
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cristian said:

Before spending money on a TPM module, a word of advice.
Pretty much any PC since intel 8th gen should have a TPM module.

As for laptops, my current laptop is a cheap acer with intel i5 7th gen and has TPM.
So I'd guess most laptops from 2016 onward are probably compatible.
Likely even some earlier models.

image.png.05d0d658c6088289214fa6f5ae74f727.png

The Intel CPU must also be at least 8th gen. The i5-7200U won't pass the test. MS has announced that 6th and 7th gen is not supported for Win 11.