Windows 11

cclarry

16 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

My motherboard has a header for TPM, but no chip. It is purchased separately, and of course it is not in stock anywhere. And now that we all know TPM is a requirement for W11 it will be impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Which TPM model do you need for your Asus? I found the Asus 14-1 pin v2.0 module that I need at Amazon and Newegg.

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Prepare for the Onslaught of TPM equipped PC's, Motherboards, etc...

I just hope (1) there are deep discounts for turning in pre-TPM PCs that cannot be upgraded and (2) Microsoft and their partners pay for this planned-obsolescence unless the local municipalities make money from recycling PCs.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olong Johnson said:

I have no intention of updating to W11 but I was curious if my brand new state-of-the-art computer (ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus with AMD Ryzen 5600X) would pass muster. Since we're dealing with Microsoft here, I guessed not, and I was correct. My motherboard has a header for TPM, but no chip. It is purchased separately, and of course it is not in stock anywhere. And now that we all know TPM is a requirement for W11 it will be impossible to find at a reasonable price. Thanks Windows 11, and buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 👉

I also have an ASUS TUF X570-Plus. My processor is an 3700x. I just needed to turn on fTPM (firmware TPM as opposed to discrete TPM) in the bios to get TPM 2.0 support. I believe all Ryzen CPUs have TPM built in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I also have an ASUS TUF X570-Plus. My processor is an 3700x. I just needed to turn on fTPM (firmware TPM as opposed to discrete TPM) in the bios to get TPM 2.0 support. I believe all Ryzen CPUs have TPM built in. 

You are correct!  My X570A has a BIOS setting under "Security" to enable fTPM.  After doing so, (and booting into Win 10), I hit WindowsKey-R and ran "tpm.msc" and got the confirmation below.

2021-06-25_9-27-01.thumb.png.16ce6881f5a9e1dbc85e5b995b86f4e8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Interesting. I didn't even bother going into the BIOS after I read in the ASUS manual that the motherboard only had a TPM header.  I checked the BIOS afterwards and saw the setting you mentioned, but after reading the attached notification I'm leaving it disabled.

TPM message.jpg

12 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

Interesting. I didn't even bother going into the BIOS after I read in the ASUS manual that the motherboard only had a TPM header.  I checked the BIOS afterwards and saw the setting you mentioned, but after reading the attached notification I'm leaving it disabled.

I don't use Bitlocker, but any user of whole disk encryption had better have a "belt and suspenders" recovery plan.  Audio nerds will HAVE to upgrade.  Because now it "Goes to ELEVEN!"

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Which TPM model do you need for your Asus? I found the Asus 14-1 pin v2.0 module that I need at Amazon and Newegg.

My header is 14 pin. My search results said the amazon module was "currently unavailable" and newegg was out of stock. At the time of my post I didn't realize the AMD CPU has a firmware version of TPM built-in.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

My header is 14 pin. My search results said the amazon module was "currently unavailable" and newegg was out of stock. At the time of my post I didn't realize the AMD CPU has a firmware version of TPM built-in.

I got a similar notice as your AMD fTPM when I went exploring the BIOS for my Intel based Asus board. Intel TPP is the firmware alternatively to the physical TPM chip.

But since I found my TPM part in stock, I went ahead and ordered one.

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Prepare for the Onslaught of TPM equipped PC's, Motherboards, etc...
According to their "Compatible CPU's", my FX-8300 8 Core Processor "is not compatible" LOL

They haven't got far enough got legacy hardware.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway.  Most people aren't going to "uppgrade" because the developers graduated from Idiotic Graphics 101.

The DAW world recognizes people still use desktops. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olong Johnson said:

TPM message.jpg

Correct. So if you use the firmware TPM, and upgrade your processor, make sure you unencrypt any encrypted drives before replacing it.

Also note that when you encrypt a drive using bitlocker you should store the recovery key in a location other than your computer for example, on a USB drive, or a physical printout. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

The DAW world recognizes people still use desktops. 

I hope you are correct!  I fear that some DAW developers (like Steinberg/Cubase) will demand Windows 11 for their upgrades, or that some vst developers will require the latest Windows (11) for their updates/upgrades.

I have a 7th gen intel chip that works just fine, but some sites are saying that Microsoft in addition to the TPM are also requiring at least an 8th gen processor. 

This is really a sad development from Microsoft. As I said elsewhere, a lot of DAW computers will fail to meet the WIN11 requirements.  Really Sad!

FYI--I do try to upgrade my DAW Computer every three or four years, but I think I will wait for motherboards to come out that are stable, tested and have TPM already onboard and are certified as Window 11 compliant.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cecelius2 said:

I hope you are correct!  I fear that some DAW developers (like Steinberg/Cubase) will demand Windows 11 for their upgrades, or that some vst developers will require the latest Windows (11) for their updates/upgrades.

I have a 7th gen intel chip that works just fine, but some sites are saying that Microsoft in addition to the TPM are also requiring at least an 8th gen processor. 

This is really a sad development from Microsoft. As I said elsewhere, a lot of DAW computers will fail to meet the WIN11 requirements.  Really Sad!

FYI--I do try to upgrade my DAW Computer every three or four years, but I think I will wait for motherboards to come out that are stable, tested and have TPM already onboard and are certified as Window 11 compliant.

That's how progress works though. Things change and developers want to take advantage of new technologies coming out. That will take time though and especially when you are putting out a product to make money on, you don't want to limit your options of how many people will buy it right away. With the microprocessor shortage and the hardware shortages overall, companies will be more careful about putting out products with such limitations because it's going to be very difficult getting the iron to run them. I still don't have a 5950X to replace my 3950X because I'm competing with gamers and cryptominers alike for those processors and now AMD is getting ready to show off the next generation of Zen so by the time I get a chance to purchase a 5950X, it will be old news. 

Plus, anyone who adopts a new OS for a work machine or a machine they require for stable daily use is a fool. They get it and then wonder why nothing works for it or why it's crashing all the time. I'll wait a bit to load 11 on my personal machine and at least a year before I put it in the studio. Meanwhile, so many Mac users be like "OMG IS IT BIG SUR COMPATIBLE YET?!?!?!?!?! WHY CAN'T I USE IT!??!?!?!??!"