Windows 11

cclarry

A Windows major version update. How thrilling. I wonder what fancy new features metrosexual GUI bling and widgety-fidgety teetertotters they have added to enrich my experience torment me with.

The way I live; a new Windows version lands, I install. When the chore is done, hopefully I can get back to the things I was doing.

Usually the latter part involves re-living the "What, they *****ed up the control panel again?!" moment or some variation of it about 157 times.

But I always live to tell the tale.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sarine said:

A Windows major version update. How thrilling. I wonder what fancy new features metrosexual GUI bling and widgety-fidgety teetertotters they have added to enrich my experience torment me with.

The way I live; a new Windows version lands, I install. When the chore is done, hopefully I can get back to the things I was doing.

Usually the latter part involves re-living the "What, they *****ed up the control panel again?!" moment or some variation of it about 157 times.

But I always live to tell the tale.

^^^What he said!^^^

• Like 1

I ran the PC Health check and found that none of my three computers will run Win11.  I was going to build a new PC this year, but I will now definitely WAIT until it is clear that new motherboards will definitely run Windows 11 before I start looking for components.  

I suspect that a lot of home and project studio DAW owners are going to be disappointed to find out that their computers will not run Window 11.  And what if the new DAW programs and vsts require WIN11????

I am not happy, but at least Win 10 will be around until 2025.

• Great Idea 1

I'm really looking forward to it. The new GUI is sleek.

Snap Layouts and Groups are going to be a massive help to productivity, multiple desktops will be great for my personal computer. I may use them to separate different things I'm doing on the studio.

Teams integration I'm cautiously happy about. I like the idea but I'm not getting excited until I know it works well. It should make working remote with people a bit easier.

Widgets I like the idea of on my personal computer but will turn it off on the studio. The update we got the other day with the new widget panel on 10 I'm not very impressed with. It needs a lot of work yet. 

The gaming stuff I don't really care about.

I would like to see more integration between multiple devices. I'm wondering if they will make any changes to networking computers together.

Also, some of you guys are getting an error saying you can't run Windows 11 because you need to turn on TPM 2.0. https://www.howtogeek.com/737171/how-to-fix-this-pc-cant-run-windows-11/

For the rest, stop living up to the stereotype that Sonar users are a bunch of outdated old heads who spend thousands a year on plugins to run on a 12 year old computer. lol

• Haha 2

Usually the reason most PCs will not run Windows 11 (it it's current form) is lack of Trusted Platform Module version 2.0.  (it's also been stated that by the time the public release comes around TPM 1.2 will be the minimum requirement)

• Like 1

TPM (found via System Information app): Device Encryption Support    Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

i suppose i'll have a quick rummage in the bios to see if it's just not enabled

I have no intention of updating to W11 but I was curious if my brand new state-of-the-art computer (ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus with AMD Ryzen 5600X) would pass muster. Since we're dealing with Microsoft here, I guessed not, and I was correct. My motherboard has a header for TPM, but no chip. It is purchased separately, and of course it is not in stock anywhere. And now that we all know TPM is a requirement for W11 it will be impossible to find at a reasonable price. Thanks Windows 11, and buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 👉

• Like 3