Humble Bundle Paint & Draw

cclarry

Rebelle is supposedly good. Its focus is real media emulation and its closest comparative would probably be ArtRage.

A real plus over Corel Painter (which has been included in a HB before) is that it lacks the "Corel", which means it lacks the malware/trollware/doucheware that is forcefully installed with Corel products.

Everything else in the bundle is meh personally.

Would still buy it for Rebelle if I had a desktop drawing tablet.

Edited by sarine
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

A plus for Corel is that it lacks the "Adobe", which means it lacks the subscription only doucheware that is forcefully installed with Adobe products.

I've actually been having half-an-eye on Photoshop CS6 because I hate subscriptions so much, but even the second-hand prices are un-sane.

Affinity Photo does everything I currently need anyway.

Edited by sarine
  • Like 1

I have been a Corel Graphics Suite user for over 25 years, since Windows 3.1. Also had a full Adobe Photoshop license a long time before they quit selling that software.

But as an amateur photographer who started with 35mm film, and never earned a penny with the camera, I'll put my money on the last perpetual version of Adobe Lightroom (which I purchased before it went end of life). I think that the digital darkroom metaphor is a much more efficient workflow for today's digital photographer, than pixel editing software.

But digital art and painting is a different animal. Of course, just like with music and a DAW, you need to find the best program for the way you work. And hopefully, there is no subscription required!

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I have been a Corel Graphics Suite user for over 25 years, since Windows 3.1. Also had a full Adobe Photoshop license a long time before they quit selling that software.

But as an amateur photographer who started with 35mm film, and never earned a penny with the camera, I'll put my money on the last perpetual version of Adobe Lightroom (which I purchased before it went end of life). I think that the digital darkroom metaphor is a much more efficient workflow for today's digital photographer, than pixel editing software.

But digital art and painting is a different animal. Of course, just like with music and a DAW, you need to find the best program for the way you work. And hopefully, there is no subscription required!

If you shoot Nikon, Sony or Fuji then seriously look at Capture One Express (which is free for those camera systems)

Capture One Pro (the full featured version is certainly better than Lightroom and the free version just doesn't have some of the advanced tools, but has the same best in the world RAW processing engine for the basic adjustments).

9 hours ago, abacab said:

@abacab You should really give AFFINITY PHOTO a try which has an inbuilt RAW editor ( Develop ) in a tab ( Check the Full RAW Development section at link below ). I am in same boat as you - amateur and dont make cash from my photos, though a keen photographer for a long long time I am. Using FUJI Mirrorless cams for ages, love them, the retro look and form. At mo still using a FUJI X-E1

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/#buy

At the moment its half price @ €27.99  .. absolute no brainer. 

RAW DEVELOP vid - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/331997643/

Edited by aidan o driscoll

11 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

If you shoot Nikon, Sony or Fuji then seriously look at Capture One Express (which is free for those camera systems)

Capture One Pro (the full featured version is certainly better than Lightroom and the free version just doesn't have some of the advanced tools, but has the same best in the world RAW processing engine for the basic adjustments).

Thanks for the tip! Capture One looks interesting.

I shoot with an ancient Sony a-700 DSLR, and last time that I tried the bundled apps for that was about 5 years ago, when I was taking a macro photography class. One of the app (forgot the name) allowed me to tether to my Windows PC while shooting on a tripod (with a lightbox). That allowed me to transfer and process RAW images over a USB cable to my PC. But generally have the workflow of camera to Lightroom (lifetime license), followed by Photoshop Elements for any pixel editing.

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

Thanks for the tip! Capture One looks interesting.

I shoot with an ancient Sony a-700 DSLR, and last time that I tried the bundled apps for that was about 5 years ago, when I was taking a macro photography class. One of the app (forgot the name) allowed me to tether to my Windows PC while shooting on a tripod (with a lightbox). That allowed me to transfer and process RAW images over a USB cable to my PC. But generally have the workflow of camera to Lightroom (lifetime license), followed by Photoshop Elements for any pixel editing.

Capture One has the best teatheirng on the market.  But your Sony it too old for that feature with this software.  It will however handle the RAW processing just fine.

4 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@abacab You should really give AFFINITY PHOTO a try which has an inbuilt RAW editor ( Develop ) in a tab ( Check the Full RAW Development section at link below ). I am in same boat as you - amateur and dont make cash from my photos, though a keen photographer for a long long time I am. Using FUJI Mirrorless cams for ages, love them, the retro look and form. At mo still using a FUJI X-E1

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/#buy

At the moment its half price @ €27.99  .. absolute no brainer. 

RAW DEVELOP vid - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/331997643/

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not really in the market for, or looking for anything new in the graphics arena. I just like to follow new product developments, and have gotten a few no-brainer deals from Humble.

I'm already paid up with lifetime licenses for more apps than I could ever need. My last updates via Humble was to the latest Painter, and a few video editors. Video editing is something way out of my comfort zone, but I thought it might be handy to have. It is fun, but also very demanding on time and hard drive space. At least compared to still photography. :)

23 hours ago, abacab said:

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not really in the market for, or looking for anything new in the graphics arena. I just like to follow new product developments, and have gotten a few no-brainer deals from Humble.

I'm already paid up with lifetime licenses for more apps than I could ever need. My last updates via Humble was to the latest Painter, and a few video editors. Video editing is something way out of my comfort zone, but I thought it might be handy to have. It is fun, but also very demanding on time and hard drive space. At least compared to still photography. :)

K .. all I am saying is older versions of PS or likes of PS elements, in my view, is trumped by AFFINITY PHOTO. The ONE OFF price also being a no brainer - €27.99 at the mo. This is not a sub, this is all it costs one off. They regularly update it and I reckon you wont need any other photo software program.  As for usage .. you have used PS elements etc before, not a huge learning curve tbh + AFFINITY have some fab vid tutorials. Its also compatible with PS file formats etc.

So at this price of €27.99 at the mo being in the market or not is an aside :D .. its a case of snap it up, well worth it :D

On 6/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, abacab said:

Thanks for the advice!I'm not really in the market for, or looking for anything new in the graphics arena.

I have to agree with aidan here, it's something worth taking a better look at. At the very least you should sign up for the free 90-day trial.

We've been supporting the creative community by offering a 50% discount and extended 90-day free trials of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher. It's time now for those offers to end, and they'll finish for good on 30 June, so please take advantage before time runs out.

I don't know what they mean by "for good," but this software suite is worth a try just for the slick UI and light weight alone. 🙂  YouTube & the rest of the webs has a lot of hype on these products. Take with a grain of salt as people generally just enjoy getting hyped up in its own right. I've also heard complaints about instability, though most of them were not very recent.

That said, I got them all and really like working with these tools. No crashes on Windows yet, on i[Pad]OS yes.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/serif-affinity-photo

3.0 Good

The Bottom Line

Affinity Photo includes many of the editing tools we associate with Photoshop, at a more attractive price. But it lacks the polish and advanced capabilities found in Adobe’s software.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/adobe-photoshop-elements

4.5 Excellent

The Bottom Line

Adobe Photoshop Elements is an excellent option for photo hobbyists who don't want to pay a subscription or learn complex Photoshop techniques.

Edited by abacab

Confirmation bias. 😋

I'm not sure if PCmag is the only source of information you'll ever need.

Inferior photo adjustment tools

That is of course relevant to discussion. I don't do photo post-processing so unopinionated about this.

24 minutes ago, sarine said:

Confirmation bias. 😋

I'm not sure if PCmag is the only source of information you'll ever need.

That is of course relevant to discussion. I don't do photo post-processing so unopinionated about this.

Photo editing is like "fix it in the mix" is with audio. If your first take is good, then there's often no need for extensive "fixing" later. And with today's DSLR's it is easy to get the shot right with some practice.

However, if you are creating digital art, then maybe a photo editor is your best first choice.

But for photos, I prefer the non-destructive workflow of a photo management tool like Lightroom or Capture One, where your adjustments are stored separately from the original image. That Capture One does look intriguing!

54 minutes ago, abacab said:

Affinity Photo is better than "good" in the right hands for the pixel editing side (ala photoshop).  I'd agree it is only "good" on the RAW side which it isn't really designed for, that is just an added bonus.

It is true it lacks some of the newer Photoshop niceties like AI based one click selection, sky replacement, etc.  But for basic editing tasks it is quite full featured compared to Elements.

The photos provided in the examples don't exactly paint the picture of a professional with enough taste to create professional level images.  I'd look elsewhere for reviews on this type of software - and a test drive is certainly worth it.  At the current price of $25, honestly Affinity is a no-brainer.

6 minutes ago, sarine said:

There's also Luminar.

https://skylum.com/luminar-ai-b

Just throwing things in the air in case it helps somebody. You know what's best for you. 🙂

Make sure to run the demo first on this one.  

On older machines it is painfully slow, which I was shocked by given many of the selling points of ditching Luminar 4 model was to make the app run faster and be more streamlined.  If your machine isn't up to it, it can be very frustrating.

I would recommend it for Landscape photographers as the sky replacement is impressive.  Other "AI" tech in the box such as the portrait pieces don't give the user enough control for my taste.  

Another plus for Affinity Photo, with a caveat - you MUST disable OpenCL on laptops with nvidia optimus graphics, otherwise it runs VERY slow.
€27.99 may not be free but the feature set is so much more than GIMP, that it's worth the price.