Behringer X-Touch One

LittleStudios

I'm in the market for a DAW Control Surface and was very interested in the X-Touch One.  Does anyone here have any experience with this product and CbB?  One question I have is when cycling through tracks, how do you get to the bus section of the console view?  Do you just keep cycling until the bus tracks become active?

Thanks.

Edited by LittleStudios

Don't think X-T One has a function for Track/Bus/Mains selection. The bigger X-Touches have what's called a "Control group" that houses those buttons which you speak of.

Looks like its back to clicking a few times here and there.

I do personally like the X-T One. Great little controller for the value too. But for another 50 - 100 bucks you could land yourself a Mackie Control MCU (original version) with all those features plus 8 more (don't forget the master fader) motorized tracks. I see them used for 150 - 200 bucks all the time on guitar center.

Good advice Chuck. Mine is the original Mackie Control and it has never failed.  It works with everything too.  I paid $1200 for mine when it first came out. Actually I didn't. What happened is I paid that for a Logic Control and about a month later Apple happened. I mentioned to a fellow I knew at GC and he offered to replace it with a just out MC.  I brought LC back and I got a new MC and haven't regretted it. 

I used to be the MC guru on the old forum until Fast Biker Boy came along.  He helped a ton of people and made my time far easier. I thank him for his helping out.  BTW no DAW uses all the abilities that an MC has.  

14 hours ago, John said:

I used to be the MC guru on the old forum

You still are the MC guru.

Who did I message when I was buying my Mackie Control ? you.

Who did I message when I had a problem with scroll lock ?  you

Honestly if I had a problem with my MC unit right now I would probably be messaging... You :)

Your not only a good guy but also a good resource when it comes to these units. Thanks for all your help.

Best thing I ever did was buy an MC unit. I don't know how I would survive without it.

Since that is a new forum, I re-post what I have written on the old one:

There is user created preset for AZ Controller: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=458.0
I can not say what it can since I do not have the device.

Buses are in a separate section and require explicit switching, as in Cakewalk GUI. I do not know if that is already implemented in mentioned preset, but it is definitively possible to add if not yet there (you can ask the preset creator, do this yourself or ask me... but please use the last option only after you have the device and ready to test the result).

@LittleStudios In the interest of offering up other options, have you considered a Presonus Faderport 8?  There are a lot of things that this unit does using the Mackie control protocol within Cakewalk.  I like the device a lot.  I'm sure there are others that are better, but since I also use Studio One, this was a good fit for me that happens to also work in Cakewalk.

Check out my blog post for a quick overview of how it works, if you like: https://www.blades.technology/music/daws-sonar-and-studio-one/presonus-faderport-8-with-cakewalk-by-bandlab

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is of any help, I invested in the X touch control surface as my old FW1082 was causing problems. At the time Cakewalk was in the throws of imploding so I invested in Cubase 9.5 and purchased C10 when it came out. The many controllers out today, in the main, are dedicated to a certain DAW although they will work with other DAW's after a fashion. Regarding MACKIE control protocol, this refers to a set of instructions that a DAW manufacturer may or may not follow, the result being that the buttons on the controller will not always adhere to the function of the chosen DAW. 

My post is to advise that you should be aware of these shortcomings as it can cause frustration after the purchase. The good news is that there are 'overlays' that have printed functions for different DAW'S that you can place on the controller, thereby changing the instruction on the buttons, but not all ... at the time of post the Behringer Universal X touch does not have an overlay for either Sonar or Cubase.

This post is by my experience only and does not reflect on the Mackie hardware desk as  mentioned above.

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

A modified version of the AZ Control preset for X-Touch One can be found here: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=493 . It comes with 3 different mappings: one from the original creator as referred above by @azslow3, one to meet MC layout as printed on the X-Touch One, and one to meet the layout of the Cubase overlay sheet that is shipped with the X-Touch One. PDFs are included to show how the controls are mapped.

To make this work properly, be sure to put your X-Touch One in MC operating mode.

Edited by Jan Deeben
  • Like 1

Hi Jan,

Thanks for this, I'd been remapping functions with the MC User mode and gotten great results, but this is another level. I've modified and changed it to suit my workflow, but I wasn't able to figure out the things you mention in your azslow post either (first time installing AZ Control). If anyone has any ideas for how to switch the focus to the buses so we could control them with the X-Touch One that would also be amazing

I'll keep trying in the meantime

• 10 months later...

Although this is an old topic, for the benefit of anyone wanting to know if there is a way of switching to Busses on the X-Touch One - there is!

(This applies to "MC Std" mode on the X-Touch One and using the "Mackie Control" driver in Cakewalk).

In CbB, go to the Utilities menu and select the bottom entry for your Control Surface (e,g. Mackie Control - 1). In the dialog near the bottom right there is a checkbox for "Use Scrub+Bank Down/Up to select Tracks/Buses" - check this.

By default, the X-Touch One will display "tr" on the Assignment LED display. Press and hold the "Scrub" button and press "Fader Bank >" - this will select Busses and display "bu" on the Assignment LED display. To revert to Tracks, press and hold "Scrub" and press the "Fader Bank <" button.

Now if only I could get the "MC User" mode to behave properly on Channel selection - anyone?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 4:36 AM, azslow3 said:

Since that is a new forum, I re-post what I have written on the old one:

There is user created preset for AZ Controller: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=458.0
I can not say what it can since I do not have the device.

Buses are in a separate section and require explicit switching, as in Cakewalk GUI. I do not know if that is already implemented in mentioned preset, but it is definitively possible to add if not yet there (you can ask the preset creator, do this yourself or ask me... but please use the last option only after you have the device and ready to test the result).

Hi Azslow,

I've been using Jan's preset for a while and got it doing pretty much everything I'd like it to except the bus pane thing, which is kinda working, but not really (as in attached image). I'm focusing the pane, but the WAI doesn't change as I'd expect, do you have any tips / ideas on where to go?

Many thanks in advance

xTouch.png.5e8f2915eab02371a0366328380abc7e.png

Edited by James Cartwright