Allow adding audio effects on track folder

Arka Banerjee

Please add the feature of adding audio effects as it will make workflow faster. Using busses can be often a really confusing and tedious task.

Adding effects to folders will help applying an effect on multiple tracks without having to use it on every track which will also save some CPU.

Yaa I understand that but as a user who just moved on from Ableton Live. I miss this feature. In live you can easily put tracks in groups(folders)  and apply effects on them.

Yaa I agree that busses are good too. But I never had a hardware mixer so it kinda looks hard for me for mixing edm tracks (As is involves a lot of layering of software synths).

Anyways I will still try to fit in. But I wish this feature existed parallel to busses 😃😃

you can arrange your console so you have more access to busses.  some some things like "drums" (or equiv synth bits) and "bass" (or equiv synth bits) etc as busses which are fed from multiple tracks allows you to easily concentrate on fewer controls, and nothing wrong with multiple "drums" busses with different mixes of the same drum parts (using sends for example) and effects to create wholly different song sections by swapping, cross-fades, blends... and also spend some time on aux tracks and patch points are various intermediate options for applying effects - one challenge for folks is there can be too many routing options 🙂 

14 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

you can arrange your console so you have more access to busses.  some some things like "drums" (or equiv synth bits) and "bass" (or equiv synth bits) etc as busses which are fed from multiple tracks allows you to easily concentrate on fewer controls, and nothing wrong with multiple "drums" busses with different mixes of the same drum parts (using sends for example) and effects to create wholly different song sections by swapping, cross-fades, blends... and also spend some time on aux tracks and patch points are various intermediate options for applying effects - one challenge for folks is there can be too many routing options 🙂 

Yeahhh the complex routing is hard sometimes when projects go bigger😂😂

23 hours ago, Arka Banerjee said:

Please add the feature of adding audio effects as it will make workflow faster. Using busses can be often a really confusing and tedious task.

Adding effects to folders will help applying an effect on multiple tracks without having to use it on every track which will also save some CPU.

I haven't used Live but based on your description the conventional DAW (i.e. Cakewalk/Protools)  equivalent of a Live folder is a bus. So there's no need to add anything to Cakewalk.

Live folders and Cakewalk busses are metaphorically the same thing. Though IMHO, the bus routing mirrors the routing used in physical consoles and mixers, and therefore makes more sense. 

Edited by Bill Phillips
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

I haven't used Live but based on your description the conventional DAW (i.e. Cakewalk/Protools)  equivalent of a Live folder is a bus. They're metaphorically the same thing, though IMHO, the bus routing mirrors the routing used in physical consoles and mixers, and therefore makes more sense. 

haha I've never used a physical console or a mixer. I'm just a kid. So I have difficulties sometimes 😅😅

2 hours ago, Arka Banerjee said:

haha I've never used a physical console or a mixer. I'm just a kid. So I have difficulties sometimes 😅😅

Your brain should have more plasticity for learning new stuff than us oldies then !  It's relatively straightforward...A buss is just another mixer channel that you can send other channels to and it combines them and then routes them to the next bus  ( usually the Master...but not necessarily ) 

If you're already using Folders then you can select the entire Folder and route it to a bus : Click the square space to the left of the Folder icon to select all the tracks inside and then go to the Tracks menu above - Selected Track Outputs ( bottom menu option ) then you should get a popup box  - Select Audio Outputs and then the bus of your choice from the dropdown box.

image.thumb.png.c336ff28be5dcadadcbad51a3b4d2ad4.png

Once all the audio in the folder is routed to a bus you can apply any plugins to the whole lot in one go. 

Here is a screenshot of a Trailer cue I'm just finishing up, there's 45 tracks and they go to 15 buses and most ( but not all ) of the FX are applied at bus level. Some refer to this as 'topdown' mixing where you do most of the heavy lifting of the mix on groups rather than individual tracks.

image.thumb.png.19a24572d0cba89ebdcce2ff05501a3e.png

If you need a more thorough explanation I can recommend this YT channel

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

9 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Your brain should have more plasticity for learning new stuff than us oldies then !  It's relatively straightforward...A buss is just another mixer channel that you can send other channels to and it combines them and then routes them to the next bus  ( usually the Master...but not necessarily ) 

If you're already using Folders then you can select the entire Folder and route it to a bus : Click the square space to the left of the Folder icon to select all the tracks inside and then go to the Tracks menu above - Selected Track Outputs ( bottom menu option ) then you should get a popup box  - Select Audio Outputs and then the bus of your choice from the dropdown box.

image.thumb.png.c336ff28be5dcadadcbad51a3b4d2ad4.png

Once all the audio in the folder is routed to a bus you can apply any plugins to the whole lot in one go. 

Here is a screenshot of a Trailer cue I'm just finishing up, there's 45 tracks and they go to 15 buses and most ( but not all ) of the FX are applied at bus level. Some refer to this as 'topdown' mixing where you do most of the heavy lifting of the mix on groups rather than individual tracks.

image.thumb.png.19a24572d0cba89ebdcce2ff05501a3e.png

If you need a more thorough explanation I can recommend this YT channel

Thank you very much sir. This what I was looking for. I solved the routing issue but I had problems routing all the tracks to a particular buss. 

Thank you very much!😄❤️

• Like 1

In Mixcraft, my previous main DAW, folder=submix bus, and they are infinitely nestable.

What this means is that in the Track View, they appear as folders, and in the Mixer View, all of those folder/buses appear as mixer strips.

It's great for people like the OP who are used to mixing in the Track View.

Although it might seem limiting in some ways, they also have conventional send buses that aren't folders if you want to do it that way. For things like reverb.

A note to the OP regarding Cakewalk, if you still want to mix in the Track View, it is possible to show buses in Track View by clicking on the arrow at the lower right of the Track Headers pane.

I'd suggest, however, getting used to switching around to the different Views in Cakewalk, especially if you can work with two monitors. The Console View and Piano View can both sit in the Multidock, which can then be floated to a second screen, and the individual Views can be dragged out of the Multidock to have individual windows for every View. It's the slickest and most flexible multi-monitor interface I've seen.

Edited by Starship Krupa

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

In Mixcraft, my previous main DAW, folder=submix bus, and they are infinitely nestable. What this means is that in the Track View, they appear as folders, and in the Mixer View, all of those folder/buses appear as mixer strips.

So what happens when you want a track in a certain folder but don't want it routed to the same bus FX ?

i.e.  Drums are all in one folder but you don't want the same heavy drum bus compression on the cymbals as the kick-snare-toms  ?

Or do you just add a sub-folder and put them in there and they get routed separately ?   Folks have been asking for nested folders in CBB for years.

On 6/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, Starship Krupa said:

In Mixcraft, my previous main DAW, folder=submix bus, and they are infinitely nestable.

What this means is that in the Track View, they appear as folders, and in the Mixer View, all of those folder/buses appear as mixer strips.

It's great for people like the OP who are used to mixing in the Track View.

Although it might seem limiting in some ways, they also have conventional send buses that aren't folders if you want to do it that way. For things like reverb.

A note to the OP regarding Cakewalk, if you still want to mix in the Track View, it is possible to show buses in Track View by clicking on the arrow at the lower right of the Track Headers pane.

I'd suggest, however, getting used to switching around to the different Views in Cakewalk, especially if you can work with two monitors. The Console View and Piano View can both sit in the Multidock, which can then be floated to a second screen, and the individual Views can be dragged out of the Multidock to have individual windows for every View. It's the slickest and most flexible multi-monitor interface I've seen.

Yeah I just figured out the arrow at the lower right it is really helpful while quick mixing like applying a sidechain on a group of synths and automating certain knobs if required. Thanks mate

On 6/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

So what happens when you want a track in a certain folder but don't want it routed to the same bus FX ?

i.e.  Drums are all in one folder but you don't want the same heavy drum bus compression on the cymbals as the kick-snare-toms  ?

Or do you just add a sub-folder and put them in there and they get routed separately ?   Folks have been asking for nested folders in CBB for years.

Yaa nested folders are kinda useful for organization purposes. At least for folks like me who organize projects a lot.

Really need them in CBB