Sound Forge 13 released

cclarry

By custom on this forum update notices for 3rd party software have typically gone here under Deals and usage questions or issues posted under Instruments & Effects.
While no rule as to such has been posted if you look at the number of posts probably 10x the posts follow this.
But really does it matter much? no.  
Just posting this because my OCD demands it not because I'm emotionally vested in trying to enforce a nonexistent standard.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 2

By the way, my gripe here isn't with the regular guys that post news of latest software updates/deals/news. My grip is with the BandLab peeps that have ignored requests to create a few more sections where we can discuss something without topics becoming derailed by talks of you know what.

So, @Meng, @Jesse Jost, please, create some more appropriate sections. Please.

9 hours ago, Mike Docy said:

$199.00 for the upgrade. I'll wait until it drops to $129 or so.

I don't know if it's ever gotten that low.   Unless one is really hard up to have their SF in 64bit, I don't really find the need to upgrade.  Most of the plugins I have have their 32 bit counterpart.

23 minutes ago, Mike Docy said:

When Sony was in charge the update price would go to $129 once a year.
It may or may not happen with Magix (?)
Yeah, I just want to get rid of the 32 bit plugs.  SF11 is the only program I have that still needs them.

They use to have $99 upgrades. 

I waited for a while on a lower than $199 upgrade price but gave up in Feb and bought the upgrade (from Sound Forge 9).  Then in March they announced 13 with free upgrades for purchases.  I asked the sales team this morning and was told there was no grace period and the upgrade service you might see mentioned on the Sound Forge Pro pages, doesn't apply to Sound Forge Pro.  They seem to be following a no discount but they might bundle/include some other thing as a sweeter sales approach (at least with Acid, so I'm guessing they may follow the same with SF).  Sound Forge Pro 12 was release in April 2018.  So this is pretty much exactly one year.  Which means they aren't trying to make a product release with great new features and improvements that convinces people to buy it, but rather they are hitting subscription driven milestones.

I suspect their discounting/pricing is so bad because they want to sell the subscription version.  Releasing a new version every year with a full priced upgrade means they don't have to fix any bugs in previous versions/support them at all.  So if you are using it seriously, you are out $200/year.  Which not surprisingly is more than their subscription plan but not as much more as you'd think, that $9.99 price is a "special" the normal sub price is $14.99/$19.99 depending on length of commitment.

I wanted 64bit and I got it with 12, but I don't see any more paid upgrades in my future.  I don't have a problem with products that are sold on a subscription basis, but trying to also sell the exact same thing as an outright purchase can be difficult.  I don't think Magix have found a viable approach yet.

• Thanks 1