Changing OS and older Cakewalk/Sonar re-install

kevin6string

Question

I have a "I'm in Limbo" situation. I have both Cakewalk by BandLab and Sonar 8.5 Producer installed. However I need to finally make the transition to Windows 10. I am currently on Windows 7 Pro. My problem is this.  I plan on "cloning" my current hard drive to another internal Hard drive for the sole purpose of "just in case"... I have projects i still work on in Sonar 8.5 because some of the plugins do not transfer to Cakewalk by BandLab ( which really stinks by the way )My problem is if i update to Windows 10 ( i still have an anytime 10 upgrade ) it may not recognize Sonar 8.5 if i have to do a re-install. ACtually it maybe registration codes and license etc that maybe the issue ion reality! If  i do have to do a fresh install of a Sonar product that I (Paid 400 US dollars ) for by the way...I intend by gosh to still use it as needed! This is why I am cloning my disc so i have a Windows 7 Pro backup in case my license codes are "rendered useless." ...I will still have the "fix patch exe. files" however but will I be able to re-install Sonar 8.5 before installing Cakewalk by BandLab?  ... I have read many articles that when jumping to BandLab version which is essentially "Sonar Platinum" you should first have former Cakewalk versions installed prior to recognize the .cwp project files. Last thing i wish to do is to have to render all my upteen hundred projects as an AIFF file and have to buy a new DAW to learn all over again! Any and all help is Greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!  currently on Windows 7 Pro .... 64 bit Intel i5 3.2 ghz quad core 32gb DDR4 

5 answers to this question

Cakewalk by Bandlab recognises any products locked to SONAR and allows you to use them (32 bit DX plugins notwithstanding, but you say you're on Win7x64 so that's not an issue). You don't need to re-register or download anything again, it's all automatic.

If you're not seeing them, there's a good chance that your VST paths aren't all copied over into preferences, and you may need to do a rescan. Check out this page for info about that: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B07  And ensure you have the same paths in CbB as you do in 8.5.

It would be crazy to not purchase a new SSD drive to use for your upgrade C drive. Simply pull the old drive and put it aside. What I did was purchased a USB to SATA cable so my original C drive becomes an external drive. I have also used this more than once on laptops where I needed my old OS to use an older Printer. Takes a few minutes to swap them back over. 

Windows 10 uses a Machine ID system now to authorize. Just don't check "I have a serial number" during install. I upgraded a W7 laptop this way last summer totally free. 

And I have Sonar 8.5 / 64 installed on my DAW. I just install the bare bones and grab the goodies I wanted. Everything that ever worked with Sonar runs just fine in CbB. 

71L-zQ1Q6QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

that's all good info. Unfortunately a lot of my Sonar 8.5 projects were done in 32 bit mode due to some of the plugins I liked "tape simulator" being one a quite a few, thus the reason about original registration licenses and codes etc. ...I was also on XP at the time of original install. Luckily they were still the original cakewalk when I switched to Windows 7 ... When I open CbB many of the plugins are missing even in 64 bit version some of those aren't there either. That's why I am hoping to clone my drive and do my 10 upgrade on that. I will always have my Windows 7 (offline) to rely on. I just actually prefer the older interface and work flow of 8.5 Producer to be honest, both 64 and 32 bit versions... only issue with 32 is you are  limited to 8 gigs of ram and i have 32 gigs installed. Stayed with 8.5 when i decided that yearly liscense fees were for the birds! 

I'm not sure what your problem is because you most certainly can use 32 bit plug ins with Cakewalk. And my version of 8.5 came with both 32 and 64 bit option when installing. You can install the 64 bit version and still use 32 bit plug ins. They just have to run under the Bit Bridge ( or J Bridge ) wrapper. The only exception was some DX plug ins. 

Most all of us slowly got rid of our 32 bit plug ins years ago and most all have easily been replaced by something new and better. There are literally 100's of great free VST plug ins. And CbB comes with a lot too. It even comes with a Tape Emulator in the pro channel.  I just looked and I now only have 2 32 bit VST's, Drop Zone and Mr Tramp. I use Mr Tramp  a lot and it works just fine. 

You simply  install your full version of 8.5 64 bit and all your plug in will be put in the VST folder. 

Then install CbB and it will find them and use them when it scans. 32 bit plug ins will be colour coded. Cakewalk will automatically use a 64 bit version if available. All your 8.5 project will open in CbB and should load up with the correct plug ins. I do this all the time. I even have Sonar 6 projects. If a plug in is missing Cakewalk will warn you and you can they will be in Brackets in the Synth rack or effects bins. it's usually a old 32 bit 3rd party plug in that I can easily replace. I've only had one that was so old the web site was gone. 

As I said don't bother cloning, you'll just bring  old messes and a zillion issue with you to a new system. 

Your performance will suck. 

A nice new clean install to a SSD drive is a huge improvement to older machines. I'm always amazed each time I do this at how fast that computer becomes. You hook the old C drive up with that cable I showed you and once your new system is up and running you just copy stuff to the new drive as you need it. 

Screenshot (176).png

Edited by John Vere

The best solution for handling projects with 32bit plug-ins that were never migrated to 64bit is keep a copy of the most recent 32bit DAW installed.

This provides a way to play projects that are stuck at 32bit and replace the obsolete plug-ins with new ones that 64bit versions. 

IIRC, jBridge will allow loading 64bit plug-ins into 32bit hosts. This opens up the projects currently locked into 32bit to experiment with modern plug-ins that have no 32bit versions.

Once the all projects have all their plug-ins migrated or audio rendered where migration is not possible, the 32bit DAW is no longer needed.