The Online BandLab DAW

Jim Fogle

The online Bandlab DAW is getting to be a heck of a tool.   One huge improvement is Bandlab can be accessed on the Firefox browser in addition to Chrome.   There are also quick access buttons to invite collaborators to a session, private chat with collaborators, online mastering, Bandlab loops, import & export capability, an extensive suite of MIDI instruments and more.

The 24 minute  +++ Bandlab Bootcamp for Beginners +++ video is a professional grade overview of the app capabilities.

I was prepared to say ho-hum but I'm really impressed.  I'd love to read comments from other forum members.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Jim Fogle said:

The online Bandlab DAW is getting to be a heck of a tool.   One huge improvement is Bandlab can be accessed on the Firefox browser in addition to Chrome.   There are also quick access buttons to invite collaborators to a session, private chat with collaborators, online mastering, Bandlab loops, import & export capability, an extensive suite of MIDI instruments and more.

The 24 minute  +++ Bandlab Bootcamp for Beginners +++ video is a professional grade overview of the app capabilities.

I was prepared to say ho-hum but I'm really impressed.  I'd love to read comments from other forum members.

I'm trying to get myself to like this. i like the idea more than actual practice so far

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, Jim Fogle said:

It has come a long way since it's debut under the BandLab brand and is basically like using GarageBand on iOS except its powered by servers and the BL cloud.  The virtual Instrument souunds are not quite yet the quality that one would prefer to use coming from a background of using pro VI's, you will be dissatisfied,  

However, the mixeditor WORKS and you can import and export MIDI and edit tracks.   The FX modules are useful too but again, they are not going to get you excited if you come from the production world already experienced.  They work as they should and I have gotten some good results in their use but limited within the Mixeditor ecosystem applied to the built in sounds is where they perform the best.  

But what no one seems to really grasp about BandLab is that its a free unlimited SONG STORAGE CLOUD with each song allowed UNLIMITED amount of revisions to its sound and FREE AI MASTERING.....I have to have at least 250 GB worth of my songs stored on BandLab and I can listen to them just like I would SoundCloud but better than soundcloud, I can open them up and make changes to them and the quality of them.  FREE UNILiMITED SONG CLOUD is what I call it 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, clovis said:

... But what no one seems to really grasp about BandLab is that its a free unlimited SONG STORAGE CLOUD with each song allowed UNLIMITED amount of revisions to its sound and FREE AI MASTERING.....I have to have at least 250 GB worth of my songs stored on BandLab and I can listen to them just like I would SoundCloud but better than soundcloud, I can open them up and make changes to them and the quality of them.  FREE UNILiMITED SONG CLOUD is what I call it 

And even though the storage and playback is free there are NO commercial interruptions;  Hallelujah!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, dubdisciple said:

I'm trying to get myself to like this. i like the idea more than actual practice so far

I like the idea more now than I did when I first saw it three years ago.  The advantages are distinct and easy for me to see at this point It offers a place to store music files, accessible to desktops, tablets and smart phones, collaboration opportunities and idea generators (loop content).

As Cakewalk continues to integrate the Bandlab eco system it's only going to become easier to share resources between both systems and enjoy the strengths both offer.

Like you, the idea excites me more than the real thing.  But, I'm excited and I didn't think I would be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

And even though the storage and playback is free there are NO commercial interruptions;  Hallelujah!

Yes and this is why i've made BandLab my ride or die when it comes to mobile and web based audio production, utilizing the song streaming, management, distribution, and promotion.  They put up and maintain a service that cannot be rivaled in it's features, ease of use, and never not once have I been asked for a single penny for using these services for my own benefit and supplemental stream of income.   

Usually what happens in these types of relationships between developer and user when the service is totally free is that they are allowed total access to ones digital data for ad revenue and target marketing, however, if this were the case then it has been concealed which is illegal in many countries and yet no one has filed a complaint against them with any of the accusations of privacy intrusion.  I've never seen an ad nor have I seen a single product being sold and never have I been asked to click anything that takes me outside of the platform.   

It's so honest and liberating that it makes me WANT to pay them just out of gratitude for providing what they do and then allowing oneself peace of mind.   There are some issues I have personally that come down to technical applications of certain features within their methods of processing audio files.  I have a feeling that dithering is applied and double applied in mastering, and many songs in the past of mine have had encoding aliasing and glitches, but there is improvement as we go along this journey.

• Like 1