Does anyone use a Roland Octa-capture and Roland Studio-capture simultaneously?

I'm using a Roland UA 1010 Octa-capture with CbB which allows me to record up to eight tracks simultaneously. I wish to expand and record at least 16 tracks. To this end I can purchase another UA 1010 and link them with the provided SPDIF connection, or, I can purchase the Roland UA 1610 Studio capture which has 16 tracks already available.

My question is. Can the UA 1010 and UA 1610 be connected via the SPDIF connection available on each?   Does anyone already do this?

Edited by Optimus

I don't know if the Octo and the Studio are compatible but I have used 2 Studio-Captures synced together since their arrival on the scene and have had absolutely zero problems. They replaced a MOTU 24io which now gathers dust on a shelf.

I would think that there would be no problems as the sync system in the Octo is the same.

I go directly to the interface. I have 2 mixers gathering dust with the MOTU. LOL!

I have been completely in the box for going on about 9 or 10 years now. I use an old M-audio Keystation 88 Pro for a controller sometimes but I have been in the box so long that I am as fast using controller lanes with a mouse as riding sliders on the controller.

It is pretty daunting at first, getting used to not having a mixer in front of you but life becomes a lot simpler. Of course, if I had an SSL, a Neve, or Trident sitting there, I would probably feel otherwise. LOL!

Btw, I do music for a living so this equipment is in use most every day. It has to be reliable. I have to say that I have not had many of the problems others have had on this forum and the old forum. My problems mainly was waiting for the technology to be stable enough over the years. Thankfully, the last several years have been able to deliver the power that we all need for reliability and stability.

Now, go make some music!!

• Like 1

I use several of the standard DAW products.  For some reason Notion always crashes the Studio-Captures drivers when set for ASIO! A RESTART always brings them back versus a REBOOT.  Reboot refuses to recognize the Studio-Captures. This is a common problem that Notion has always suffered from. Otherwise, they all play well together.

My original intention was to purchase an Studio-Capture and try and couple it with my Octa-Capture, but of course the dollars got in the way.

I have now ordered the much more affordable Octa-Capture and pair it with the one I already have, which will give me 16 inputs. Enough to do a live band.

Have to say that my original Octa has performed flawlessly, so I don't anticipate any problems syncing two of them.

17 minutes ago, Optimus said:

Have to say that my original Octa has performed flawlessly, so I don't anticipate any problems syncing two of them.

I purchased a second OCTA-CAPTURE at the start of the year.

All is well and the only real issue is one of latency when recording audio from synths which are driven by MIDI and also synchronising external hardware synths and then, on top of that, using certain VST effects known for inducing latency. Apparently, according to more experienced people here, it's a know fact that Roland are not the best when it comes to round trip latency.

That said, I am working with it and around it.

I would imagine that if you are just tracking conventional instruments that you wouldn't experience any latency issues.

A doddle to set up :)

I am using nothing but in the box instruments and fx. Latency can be an issue but I have not run into any show stopping situations yet.

That being said, the projects I work on that are live band or choir have been upwards around 24 to 32 live miced inputs have come off without a hitch. Latency bouncing around 128 and 256 in ASIO. Even my MOTU 24io would choke sometimes but the Studio-Captures have been pretty reliable.

My preferred method of recording is input to mixing desk, then out to Octa, and monitoring in realtime via sends on the board. So I don't have any latency issues.

I have never used synths or plugins while tracking, so again, latency is not a problem. Most of my projects are small groups and solo artists so I am looking forward to adding a new Octa to enable larger projects.

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I don't know if the Octo and the Studio are compatible but I have used 2 Studio-Captures synced together since their arrival on the scene and have had absolutely zero problems. They replaced a MOTU 24io which now gathers dust on a shelf.

I would think that there would be no problems as the sync system in the Octo is the same.

Hi Sidney, Synkrotron & Waldemar. I plan to buy a second Octa-capture with the intent to sync up the two devices, I have found instructions on how to do this and see that you all have sync'd two up and had success sync'ing your units.

My question is does the 'OCTA-CAPTURE Control Panel' (which is almost identical to the 'Studio-Capture Control Panel') adapt when you have a second unit sync'd and can I control all 16 inputs and outputs from the software? i.e. will new channels appear in the software when a second unit is sync'd?

Obviously that's the only option for setting up low-latency monitor mixes pre DAW and saves me fiddling around with the LCD menu on the box on the second unit. However I can't find any info on that online.

Many thanks in advance,

Rory

I know the Octa connects to a VS-700 via SPDIF out RCA cable on Digital 1 output Out of VS-700, in to the OCtA.  VS-700 becomes the timing master, Octa catches signal from that.  From the Manual, two Octas work together the same way - one is timing master. I would think the Studio Capture would work the same, but, yeah..I'd ask Roland.

thanks Sidney for answering my question regarding the software. So you don't have an expanded input/output section in the control panel. When you say "yes, you can control every channeling and monitoring aspect of both boxs from the software" do you mean from the control panel software, I want to use the control panel to setup monitor mixes (as opposed to Pro Tools) as to avoid latency. Thanks again.

Edited by Rory Attwell

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:28 PM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Hi Sidney, I know you posted this a while ago but am interested in the Studio Capture chaining.   I have one SC and am thinking of expanding to a second. What happens  to the  Roland console app  ?  Does it expand  to show the extra channels or do you have two instances?

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I have two Studio and two Octa Captures (don't ask).

If I connect a mix of Studio and Octa Captures, both appear in the preferences but only one or the other can be used.

What happens is, by default, all in/outs of one interface only are checked, the other is all unselected and grey - cannot be selected.

If you uncheck all in/outputs, then both interfaces are available again.

If you check just one in/output on one interface, the other one goes all grey.

In both cases, one is VS Expand = On, the other Off, and the coax cables are connected Out from the On interface to In on the Off interface.

Two Studios together or two Octas together work no problem.

studio and octa capture selected.PNG

studio and octa capture unselected.PNG