THERE IS NO WAY TO INSERT SYNTH WITH MIDI FOR REUSE ON A PROJECT

murat k.

Track Template files are good to keep your tracks with the softsynth information to use in the future.
But when you want to save some MIDI information with them, it is not possible for now.
There should be an option to save a Track Template with the MIDI Data.

Today I created a bassline. I thought that it would be cool to use it on a project, and I decided to save it then I thought:
Saving a MIDI file means you can't keep the sound.
Saving a WAV file means you can't keep the note.
Saving a CWP file means you can't insert it on a different project with the softsynth information.
Saving a CWT file means you can't insert it on a different project with the softsynth information.
Saving a CWX file means you can't keep the note but you can keep the softsynth information.
Saving MIDI & CWX files separately seems the only workaround for now. But it's not a good solution.

When you add an option to save MIDI Data into the Track Template files, we can use these files as library files and drag&drop them to the project easily when we need to use. 
Also, on some tracks, we need the MIDI information for loading some MIDI CC at the beginning of the track to use them properly.

So we need an option to keep MIDI Data in the Track Template Files by any means.

This is the demonstration of what we need, we don't have this feature right now:

Where we will be using this feature?
When you want to transfer your tracks to another project.
When you want to keep your MIDI CC modifications with the Track Template file.
When you want to keep your ideas (melodies, chord progressions, basslines, rhythms) with a specific sound (Synth Information) as a library file for future use.

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Why would you want to use the exact same exact midi bass line and the same exact synth patch / sound in different tracks ?  That would be super boring.  

I liked that sound and want to keep it for the future use. I'm not going to use same bass sound for every project 😄

10 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Surely Sound/Patch + Midi Performance =  A Project.....not a Template ?

Project Files don't keep the Softsynth information in the import or copy/paste action. But Track Templates have that. So I suggested that file format. Also, just because it's a template doesn't mean it should be empty. Templates are for to allow for the repetition of information.

Edited by murat k.

Alternate possibility -

* Save as a standard file in it's own directory

* Write Protect the file so you don't accidentally overwrite it

* Go to folder locations in preferences and make one of the Project Folders that you don't use the folder where your "Templates" are.

(Like maybe - Templates)

Now when you open a file from the templates folder it will be your write protected "template" (Actually a standard project file).

*** Actually - It would be nice if we could define a few of our own locations here.

15 hours ago, murat k. said:

Track Template files are good to keep your tracks with the softsynth information to use in the future.
But when you want to save some MIDI information with them, it is not possible for now.
There should be an option to save a Track Template with the MIDI Data.

Today I created a bassline. I thought that it would be cool to use it on a project, and I decided to save it then I thought:
Saving a MIDI file means you can't keep the sound.
Saving a WAV file means you can't keep the note.
Saving a CWP file means you can't use it on a different project with the softsynth information.
Saving a CWX file means you can't keep the note but you can keep the softsynth information.
Saving MIDI & CWX files separately seems the only workaround for now. But it's not a good solution.

When you add an option to save MIDI Data into the Track Template files, we can use these files as library files and drag&drop them to the project easily when we need to use. 
Also, on some tracks, we need the MIDI information for loading some MIDI CC at the beginning of the track to use them properly.

So we need an option to keep MIDI Data in the Track Template Files by any means.

Just save it as a project template.....

You can't copy&paste tracks to another project or drag&drop Project Template file from the Browser with the Softsynth information.

Think that you have some instruments in your Project Template file. And there are some MIDI CC Data at the first measure. Then you need to use some of them on a different project. 

When this feature will exist, you will be able to save your Synth and MIDI information into the file. And loading them will be easy with drag & drop from the Browser or from the Track Template menu which way you like.

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Just save it as a project template.....

2 hours ago, rfssongs said:

Alternate possibility -

* Save as a standard file in it's own directory

* Write Protect the file so you don't accidentally overwrite it

* Go to folder locations in preferences and make one of the Project Folders that you don't use the folder where your "Templates" are.

(Like maybe - Templates)

Now when you open a file from the templates folder it will be your write protected "template" (Actually a standard project file).

*** Actually - It would be nice if we could define a few of our own locations here.

And please read the topic carefully before the reply.

If something you don't get it you can ask me.

I guess Track Template File thing made a confusion.
When I requested that I thought it would be simple to develop. 
Because Track Template files already comes with the synth information
And now we have Standard MIDI File Export.
And adding a MIDI data to an existing file is not a big deal.
All we need is to combine them.

In general, copying and pasting Instrument Tracks have problems as you know.
We need a proper copy and paste Instrument Tracks with MIDIs between projects.
Also we need a proper drag&drop without loss of synth information for all Cakewalk files.

Edited by murat k.

26 minutes ago, Jaime Ramírez said:

I use the "Track Templates" and the "Midi Groove folder".. I have differents midi patterns to import anywhere".. 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, murat k. said:

Please read the topic carefully.

Where we will be using this feature?

When you want to transfer your tracks to another project.

When you want to keep your MIDI CC modifications with the Track Template file.

When you want to keep your ideas (melodies, chord progressions, basslines, rhythms) with a specific sound (Synth Information) as a library file for future use.

After all these explanations and video clips, I hope you get it for this time. If you don't get it, you'll get it when you need.

Edited by murat k.

49 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I doubt it , a new project is a new project for me  - I would never recycle anything 

I'm still sure that you'll want it after the implementation. You doubt it because it's not implemented still. 

As far as I know Cubase, Logic Pro and MOTU Digital Performer has this feature. And there may be many other DAWs comes with it.

And I heard that using of this feature from the best composers like Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer.

And I'm happy to see that developers like Mark is not happy with the import feature in the Cakewalk as you see in this topic: