Jump to content
Davydh

Chernobyl Studios Cakewalk Mixing Tutorial Cancelled Due to Bugs

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that's too bad.  I had watched most of Chernobyl Studios' old videos and was happy to find that newer videos were being produced.  I  can dig into reference manuals with the best of them, but sometimes it's nice to have some decently put together Cakewalk by Bandlab oriented material.

What's more disturbing is the possibility of encountering these problems myself.  I have yet to work on a substantial project with Cakewalk.  Prior to having a go with Cakewalk by Bandlab, I had been using a combination of Cubase, Reaper, Logic, and Tracktion.  I was really enjoying Cakewalk's interface and workflow and even though  picking it up has been relatively easy, it does take a little work getting used to the ins and outs and the small feature details.  Now I'm wondering how much time I should devote to Cakewalk until or even if these issues get ironed out.  I can understand how frustrating this can be.  Though Reaper is typically solid, about 5 years ago I was having some issues with a few projects in Reaper that resulted in quite a bit of lost time and alot of frustration.   I am also not a big fan of the UI, despite the insane customization options.

Ahh well.  I guess all we can do is stay tuned I guess...

 

Edited by Grigorios

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That sucks.

When I was looking for a new daw like SONAR, which I've found on Steam and it's price was a deal, I saw your videos about mixing in it. It was like a real user experience. 

Edited by Eve Ripper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, puddy said:

That guy should just go away...

I think that him should stay considering that he has the biggest Cakewalk oriented Youtube channel... In fact, I think that Bandlab should contact him for keep making content and also try to fix these bugs as soon as possible (Fabfilter is not a underground plugin company and all of reported bugs on the video are severe).

Edited by Feral State Sound
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

I think that him should stay considering that he has the biggest Cakewalk oriented Youtube channel... In fact, I think that Bandlab should contact him for keep making content and also try to fix these bugs as soon as possible (Fabfilter is not a underground plugin company and all of these bugs are severe).

I'm still standing by my view

  • Like 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, puddy said:

I'm still standing by my view

Could you develop your opinion more? I think that this guy is making a real effort on creating free content for the people interested on Cakewalk but he cannot continue due to those bugs. Nevertheless, he is a reasonable person and he mantains his commitment of creating tutorials for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, Grigorios said:

What's more disturbing is the possibility of encountering these problems myself.

If you're worried about the lost plug-in settings issue, one bit of insurance is to save the plug-in settings for the project as Cakewalk presets, which I understand may be tedious or not even be practical.

One data point here: I've been using Cakewalk for a year and have never had it fail to save my plug-in settings. This issue is apparently obscure enough that they're having a hell of a time being able to reproduce it just so they can see it in action and come up with a fix for it.

15 minutes ago, puddy said:

That guy should just go away...

I disagree. He's seeing issues with the software that are preventing him from making good use of it. He's not a whiner, his critiques are well thought-out even if there is some anger visible in his delivery. I think he's a helpful critical voice.

If there aren't critical voices around, a product runs the risk of becoming moonieware, where there's never anything wrong with the product, only with the way someone's using it, or their unreasonable expectations of it. And I really, really don't want to see that happen around here. I witnessed some of that attitude at the old forum. It doesn't seem to have been transplanted, thank heaven.

Workarounds are fine to a point, but are not a substitute for bug fixes.

Cakewalk has bugs. Ones that have been in it for some time, ones that affect common operations that people do with the software. Fortunately, the people in charge of such things seem interested in correcting them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

Could you develop your opinion more? I think that this guy is making a real effort on creating free content for the people interested on Cakewalk but he cannot continue due to those bugs. Nevertheless, he is a reasonable person and he mantains his commitment of creating tutorials for it.

While I was looking around the net for a Cakewalk video I came across his YT video where I felt he  was actually bashing the software, to an extent where I left a comment saying "You seem like a very bitter man"... because that video was just uncalled for.

The videos are malicious, including the one on the OP... he also puts a category of people for whom it would be worth it downloading Cakewalk, "those getting used to digital audio etc", really?

Quite a lot I could say but it's really not necessary.

  • Like 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for developing your opinion more and giving some background.

I suspect you are correct, Scott is probably bitter.

It looks like with his videos and even a demo song included with the early versions of CbB, he figuratively and literally had invested a lot in Sonar only to be faced with the Gibson announcement in November 2017.

I encouraged him to give CbB another try after he ran down a list of what he considered "killer" bugs, some of which I knew to be long gone. I don't know if this fiasco happened after that, if these were new ones he found or what. If so, I suppose I'm partially responsible for this.

Whatever, if Cakewalk were to work satisfactorily for him, he would probably endorse its use, no hard feelings. People who let their anger out tend not to keep it seething inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you're worried about the lost plug-in settings issue, one bit of insurance is to save the plug-in settings for the project as Cakewalk presets, which I understand may be tedious or not even be practical.

One data point here: I've been using Cakewalk for a year and have never had it fail to save my plug-in settings. This issue is apparently obscure enough that they're having a hell of a time being able to reproduce it just so they can see it in action and come up with a fix for it.

I disagree. He's seeing issues with the software that are preventing him from making good use of it. He's not a whiner, his critiques are well thought-out even if there is some anger visible in his delivery. I think he's a helpful critical voice.

If there aren't critical voices around, a product runs the risk of becoming moonieware, where there's never anything wrong with the product, only with the way someone's using it, or their unreasonable expectations of it. And I really, really don't want to see that happen around here. I witnessed some of that attitude at the old forum. It doesn't seem to have been transplanted, thank heaven.

Workarounds are fine to a point, but are not a substitute for bug fixes.

Cakewalk has bugs. Ones that have been in it for some time, ones that affect common operations that people do with the software. Fortunately, the people in charge of such things seem interested in correcting them.

It would be interesting to know if he did actually report the bugs he is complaining about specifically...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey All! Your friendly neighborhood support staff checking in. If you experience any issues, the best route is always to contact us at support@cakewalk.com! I'm bummed to see Scott didn't contact us directly when this issue came up, though I know he's been in touch with Cakewalk in the past. We have a great new support staff, and a blend of new and previous Cakewalk team members working on making Cakewalk by BandLab the best iteration of Cakewalk yet. You can check out what the team has been up to here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit 

While I certainly don't post to the forum often, myself and my team are always happy to work on any issues via email, and we have some additional resources for help coming soon! As seen in the doc above, the developers have been doing quite a bit behind the scenes, and with your (and Scott's) help, we should be able to continue making Cakewalk by BandLab even better. You may see a little more of my name around the forum soon, so feel free to say hi and drop us a line if you have any questions!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced the same bug where the stop button greys out and you can't stop the transport either with the mouse or by pressing the space bar..it just keeps on playing regardless. Like he said in the video you have to save the file and then quit and re-open to get it back to normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bandlab let it run as long as they could. At some point it would have to be locked or removed. I saw it at first as a rant about a bug. But even so it was for a time useful to Bandlab by alerting them to the problem.  The only problem I had with it is there are ways to accomplish the same thing without bashing anything or anyone. 

This reminds me of the falling out of Ted Pearlman with Twelve Tone and that was epic.  However, that was in a newsgroup where this fellow is on you tube. A far greater audience. 

No one is to blame for that video other the one that made it. 

I would love to see this reconciled  between Scott and Bandlab. But what ever happens is beyond our control. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I have experienced the same bug where the stop button greys out and you can't stop the transport either with the mouse or by pressing the space bar..it just keeps on playing regardless. Like he said in the video you have to save the file and then quit and re-open to get it back to normal.

I have the "non-stopping playback" problem as well, with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (1st Gen).

The only trick to stop playback (which usually is no longer really playing anything back at that point) is to click on the "Input Echo All Tracks" button, which restores playback, and enables stopping it as well. If course it also turns all input echoes on, and clicking it again leaves playback on and everything is well again (except maybe for patch points, he inputs of which, I guess will have been turned of at this stage).

Clicking the input echo button is much better a solution than killing the Cakewalk app, which I used to have to do prior to knowing the input echo button trick.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest issue is Scott now has a baby, so his time for making videos is less.

So if he's going to use a daw, he needs one which is quick and unproblematic so he can quickly make a video.

If Bandlab fixed the bugs and offered to give him some financial support, I bet he'd be more than happy to make awesome Cakewalk tutorials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @CosmicDolphin and @petemus- you guys both mentioned having a problem with stopping playback. 

Cosmic- are you using an audio interface? If so, which model?

Pete- I see you're using a gen1 2i2. Your input echo trick sounds like  quite the workaround! Glad you have something while we figure this out. 

Let's try to connect the dots here. If we can point to an OS, device, even a certain number of tracks or certain plugins used when this starts happening we can start making progress. One of my test machines is a relatively low spec Win10 i7 ThinkPad. I've typically only run up to around 40 tracks at a time and up to 50 plugins per project, but I've never had this particular issue. Of course, it exists because we have your cases to tell us it does, but let's dig in and find out where you all are on the same page, other than the problem itself. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davydh said:

The biggest issue is Scott now has a baby, so his time for making videos is less.

So if he's going to use a daw, he needs one which is quick and unproblematic so he can quickly make a video.

If Bandlab fixed the bugs and offered to give him some financial support, I bet he'd be more than happy to make awesome Cakewalk tutorials.

Hi Davydh,

I hope you'll forgive/correct me if I'm not getting this right.

Shouldn't fixing bugs be about issues reported by users with no relation to specific priority individuals... sure, everything prioritized according to severity of course.

Also, one would be forgiven to think that making of an illustration/tutorial video by an individual will almost always be out of a good heart... (unless of course under employ, where you'd have to get paid for services rendered).

Maybe I'll never get it.

Thanks and regards

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John said:

I think Bandlab let it run as long as they could. At some point it would have to be locked or removed. I saw it at first as a rant about a bug. But even so it was for a time useful to Bandlab by alerting them to the problem.  The only problem I had with it is there are ways to accomplish the same thing without bashing anything or anyone. 

This reminds me of the falling out of Ted Pearlman with Twelve Tone and that was epic.  However, that was in a newsgroup where this fellow is on you tube. A far greater audience. 

No one is to blame for that video other the one that made it. 

I would love to see this reconciled  between Scott and Bandlab. But what ever happens is beyond our control. 

A rant would be a person screaming in angry passion about arguments that are not fueled by facts. What I presented in my video were clearly facts, and I expressed my disappointment and displeasure.  Nobody cares about the problem you had with it. It's not about you. It's about Cakewalk not working. 

I'm also not to blame for anything and it's moronic that you'd even think I should be at all. Absurd.

8 hours ago, Davydh said:

The biggest issue is Scott now has a baby, so his time for making videos is less.

So if he's going to use a daw, he needs one which is quick and unproblematic so he can quickly make a video.

If Bandlab fixed the bugs and offered to give him some financial support, I bet he'd be more than happy to make awesome Cakewalk tutorials.

I don't foresee this happening. Cakewalk is a free product and it's not immediately clear what their money-strategy is going to be. 

4 hours ago, puddy said:

Hi Davydh,

I hope you'll forgive/correct me if I'm not getting this right.

Shouldn't fixing bugs be about issues reported by users with no relation to specific priority individuals... sure, everything prioritized according to severity of course.

Also, one would be forgiven to think that making of an illustration/tutorial video by an individual will almost always be out of a good heart... (unless of course under employ, where you'd have to get paid for services rendered).

Maybe I'll never get it.

Thanks and regards

Bugs should be fixed by priority, especially by severity. However, I have a lot more experience than you and a better understanding of critical problems with the DAW.  I would never listen to somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about with Electricity, but I would very seriously consider the opinion of a professional Electrician with experience.

You forget also that I have many years of making Cakewalk videos. I have solved dozens of problems myself with users who have contacted me directly with the feedback being very often that I was faster, more helpful, and solved their problem faster than official Cakewalk support. At this point, my name and my channel are synonymous with Cakewalk. If I'm to be an ambassador of this program and take part in deep bug crushing and such, I think it's quite logical that I deserve compensation.

That said, when major Cakewalk updates have surfaced that deal with the problems that have plagued the program for years (and now these new issues), I will be the first one to try Cakewalk because it's my first love. My passion for this DAW is such that my criticisms are just as strong as my praise. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...