Project played fine, now will not... ?

Hi, New here and hoping someone can help me out.  I just installed Cakewalk today, imported tracks i recorded on my Tascam DP24SD.  Created new project and then mixed and tweaked stuff for hours with no issues in Cakewalk.  Had it sounding great.  Wanted to burn a CD to hear it in the car.  I'm now going to describe everything that happened in case any of it is important to my current issue:

- In Cakewalk, did export to .wav

- Tried playing with Win media player, it says something else is using audio

- Closed Cakewalk

- Played the .wav file in media player.  It had like 3 times more bass than it did when i had last listened in Cakewalk.

- Re-opened Cakewalk - when i try to play the project now i get message saying the audio engine unexpectedly stopped

- None of the help files I've looked at seems to apply (i don't think it's most of the common causes as it worked beautifully until now)

- Created a new test project and it seems to work

Anyone know what's going on here?  Rebooting didn't help.

Edited by thisismyusername

Are you using an audio interface and ASIO driver? Sounds like a audio driver conflict between Cakewalk and your media player. If I don't have an Audio interface I use WASAPI shared. 

And are you exporting correctly using the Export audio dialog box?  It's one of the Control Bar Modules and might not show so look in the list of optional modules by right clicking the control bar- modules. 

Make sure you have the correct settings. Mine are 

Project- Presets-Master Mix- this is set to 44.1/ 16 for me so I can burn a CD. 

Windows Media player or your on board sound card might have sound enhancements enabled. 

Edited by Cactus Music

Not exactly sure if audio interface means external hardware.  If so, I'm not using any.  Just trying to mix pre-recorded wav tracks.  Yes to ASIO.  I'll look into WASAPI shared, not sure without researching it what that is.  I haven't done any of this for over a decade so a little rusty on terms.

I don't think Windows Media Player is the problem for either of my issues (inability to play project or the extra bass in export).  After rebooting and creating a new project it too will no longer play once i saved it, closed CW and re-opened it.  WMP wasn't used at all that time.   And after getting frustrated with this last night I downloaded trial version of Reaper and re-mixed it all there.  Reaper's export did not sound any bassier than expected.

The bass thing though isn't as big of a deal as the not playing project.  Hopefully the WASAPI thing will help.  If not, let me know of any other ideas.

Thanks for the help.