Orange Tree Samples 2021 Group Buy

kevin H

So I just spent the morning going through some Jarreau and it is just the best.
The problem (if you can call it that) is I am listening at the Rhodes and cannot unhear it know 😂😂😂😂

I wonder if it was used on “Save Me”? I think Omartian was on that and the incredible riffed on that. Not Like This is pure butter. It is so heartbreaking to have lost such a vocalist and one of a kind artist in Al Jarreau and it is projects like The Famous E Piano that help preserve not only that musical legacy but allows all of us to experience it through the library.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

So I just spent the morning going through some Jarreau and it is just the best.
The problem (if you can call it that) is I am listening at the Rhodes and cannot unhear it know 😂😂😂😂

I wonder if it was used on “Save Me”? I think Omartian was on that and the incredible riffed on that. Not Like This is pure butter. It is so heartbreaking to have lost such a vocalist and one of a kind artist in Al Jarreau and it is projects like The Famous E Piano that help preserve not only that musical legacy but allows all of us to experience it through the library.

So, I found the answer on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarreau_(album)

David Foster played on Save Me, Omartian was on Step by Step and Boogie Down (another favorite of mine). So the Famous “E” is just dripping all over this iconic release.

it just takes me back to when I first heard the all I’m when it was released and I am still captured by the amazing arrangements and musicianship, Laboriel, Porcaro,Gadd, it just goes on and on,

• Like 4

For those of you that bought the Famous E Electric Piano, how does it compare to other high quality Rhodes libraries like Scarbee’s Classic EP-88S or Soniccouture’s Canterbury Suitcase? I own both of these which are great in different ways. The Classic-EP-88s samples are super clean and refined (although you can dirty the sound up nicely). The Canterbury Suitcase has a rawness and realism that is also very compelling.  Orange Tree’s Famous E presets sound like they perhaps have more emphasized  bell tones. I wish there was a video of all the presets like other Orange Tree products. I have to say, I’m feeling itchy to also own the Famous E.

1 hour ago, Scott H said:

I have to say, I’m feeling itchy to also own the Famous E.

Well if Mr Rhodes himself said that the actual Famous E was the best one he had ever heard, then it must be a very special electric piano... 😁

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Olong Johnson said:

I'm curious how it compares against the Keyscape model:

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/keyscape/models/ep_la_custom_e.php

As stated by Spectrasonics themselves:

”The story of the “E” name comes from one of these instruments Eddy modified that was often rented from Leeds Musical Instrument Rentals during the heyday of record production in the 1980s. The top producers knew which one to rent because it was marked with a big “E” on the case. This is not the instrument we sampled for Keyscape, but ours was made at the same time and has the identical circuitry and voicing modifications that Eddy did to that specific Leeds instrument. As the “E” legend has grown on the Internet over the years, what’s not widely known is that Eddy made several of these identically modified instruments after various L.A. session players requested the same modifications. Our instrument was a 1974 Suitcase that Eddy extensively modified … “

And the OrangeTreeSamples Famous E is THE original one. 

Here’s another interesting tidbit by the engineer (Jay Graydon):

http://jaygraydon.com/The_Famous_E_Electric_Piano.htm

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

As stated by Spectrasonics themselves:

”The story of the “E” name comes from one of these instruments Eddy modified that was often rented from Leeds Musical Instrument Rentals during the heyday of record production in the 1980s. The top producers knew which one to rent because it was marked with a big “E” on the case. This is not the instrument we sampled for Keyscape, but ours was made at the same time and has the identical circuitry and voicing modifications that Eddy did to that specific Leeds instrument. As the “E” legend has grown on the Internet over the years, what’s not widely known is that Eddy made several of these identically modified instruments after various L.A. session players requested the same modifications. Our instrument was a 1974 Suitcase that Eddy extensively modified … “

And the OrangeTreeSamples Famous E is THE original one. 

Here’s another interesting tidbit by the engineer (Jay Graydon):

http://jaygraydon.com/The_Famous_E_Electric_Piano.htm

When you refer to Jay Graydon as an engineer, I'm wondering if you're aware of how legendary Jay is as a studio musician. For example, that's Jay Graydon's guitar solo on Steely Dan's "Peg." He's also played on (and this is a cut and paste from Wikipedia) songs by Gino Vannelli, Barbra Streisand, Dolly Parton, Diana Ross, The Jackson Five, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Al Jarreau, Christopher Cross, Ray Charles, Cher, Joe Cocker, Marvin Gaye, Hall & Oates, Wayne Shorter, Olivia Newton-John and Albert King. Greg/Orange Tree Samples works with Jay. 

I don't know if I'm allowed to tell this story, so I'll withhold the artist's name -- but when I first heard the library, I was chatting with Greg and started telling him how much hearing the library reminded me of a certain artist's music from years ago (because a lot of it used this Rhodes; which Jay happened to play guitar on some of those songs too) and Greg told me how he was just helping that artist get set up with the library the day before. So yeah, the Famous E library is a pretty big deal and a bunch of the artists who I connect with that iconic Famous E sound that already own the library. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Alright.

I finally caved in on the Famous E when I realized I could get it for $56 with the group buy 60% off, plus some Orange Slices from my previous purchase.

That one is pretty amazing indeed. Perfect for my ongoing Bach counterpoint project. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

That one is pretty amazing indeed. Perfect for my ongoing Bach counterpoint project. 

It's got that real 70's E Piano sound that I fondly recall from many 70's songs. Yes, amazing indeed!!! :)

None of that DX7 FM cheese that took over pop music in the 80's... 🙉

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, abacab said:

Alright.

I finally caved in on the Famous E when I realized I could get it for $56 with the group buy 60% off, plus some Orange Slices from my previous purchase.

Just checking - these work with the Kontakt Player, yes?  i.e. No FULL Kontakt required?

5 minutes ago, mibby said:

Just checking - these work with the Kontakt Player, yes?  i.e. No FULL Kontakt required?

The Famous E is Kontakt Player compatible. As well as a couple of Evolution guitars that I picked up.

Check the OT website for details and full disclosure. I haven't seen any yet from Orange Tree that require FULL Kontakt.

• Thanks 1

From the webpage:

The Famous E Electric Piano licenses Native Instruments' Kontakt Player sampler software. Consequently, owning the full version of Kontakt is not necessary, and The Famous E Electric Piano operates without limitations within the free Kontakt Player application/plugin. This also allows the sample library to be listed in the libraries tab in Kontakt for convenient access.

Well, this E Piano thing would be my first OTS purchase.  Everyone seems to rave about it, even Jeff Lorber!  

So if you buy this E Piano, it enables you to play like the demos too, right?  🤪

Edited by mibby
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Some do indeed, like Angelic Keys for instance, or the Jaco bass. But it is clearly marked. 

It looks like all of the "Evolution" products priced at retail $179 (and the Famous E) are Player and NKS ready.

The other OTS libraries priced for less seem to all require FULL Kontakt.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

See.. you're out of control 

Nah, that's absolutely the last one. For now, anyways... 😎

But I did get 3 libraries for the price of one!!! $537.00 > $174.71.

First timer here. Did the group buy with two orders:

1. First filled out a few OTS surveys for Orange Slices. Then bought 2 Evolution guitars for 60% off, plus the slices from the surveys.

2. Got some more slices added from purchase #1. Bought a 3rd library for another 60% off, plus more slices. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

12 minutes ago, abacab said:

Nah, that's absolutely the last one. For now, anyways... 😎

But I did get 3 libraries for the price of one!!! $537.00 > $174.71.

First timer here. Did the group buy with two orders:

1. First filled out a few OTS surveys for Orange Slices. Then bought 2 Evolution guitars for 60% off, plus the slices from the surveys.

2. Got some more slices added from purchase #1. Bought a 3rd library for another 60% off, plus more slices. :)

Yeah that's how I got slide acoustic that cheap. After orange slices and surveys I had an extra 29% off. Too bad I didn't want anything else when I got the slide. I thought maybe the banjo but not right now. I do want it but how many times am I gonna cover Warrant's Uncle Tom's Cabin anyway.