Orange Tree Samples 2021 Group Buy

kevin H

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

You can configure an articulation so that the keyswitches aren't transposed but a range of keys are.  But that would mean you would have a special transpose articulation map.  It's not a generic thing.

Yeah I should have added 'natively', in all that's what we want - our DAWs doing the dull staff for us, right? :) I'm only starting exploring the whole articulations thing, at this point I wouldn't know yet where to start if going to configure the articulation to not touch the keyswitches already being there nor the ones added in future.

Edited by chris.r

There are a couple tuning options besides the normal tuning. You can tune it in 5ths, tune the low E string down to a D, or tune the low E string down to a C for the extra low range.

If you want to tune the entire instrument down a half step, one trick is to change the "tune" knob in Kontakt's header area to -1 semitone, and then compensate for this coarse tuning change by transposing your bass part up a semitone (some DAWs provide a realtime transposition option, though Kontakt has a "MIDI transpose" setting in the instrument options as well).

42 minutes ago, Greg Schlaepfer said:

There are a couple tuning options besides the normal tuning. You can tune it in 5ths, tune the low E string down to a D, or tune the low E string down to a C for the extra low range.

If you want to tune the entire instrument down a half step, one trick is to change the "tune" knob in Kontakt's header area to -1 semitone, and then compensate for this coarse tuning change by transposing your bass part up a semitone (some DAWs provide a realtime transposition option, though Kontakt has a "MIDI transpose" setting in the instrument options as well).

Thanks Greg, I'm confused though; if I wanted to tune the whole instrument to Eb (which I do) by tuning Kontakt's tune knob down a semitone, why would I then want to transpose my bass part up a semitone? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Can't the whole mapping of notes just be slid down a half-step so the Eb flat appears on the Eb key of a midi keyboard and so on for the rest of the notes? Basically I just want to tune the whole instrument down a half-step to Eb and then be able to play those notes on the appropriate corresponding keys on a midi keyboard. 

Sorry but one other thing; how about the Lap Steel.. can that be tuned flat as well? I know you sampled it in open E tuning .. Thanks a bunch 

Edited by Christian Jones

I just sent you an email about it, but I found out that Kontakt's MIDI transpose setting that's in the "Instruments Option" isn't working correctly. It must not be transposing the MIDI note before it reaches the script, since there's some interaction that isn't quite right. The tuning part works, though, so it just means that you would have to use a transposition option in your DAW, or in a multiscript in Kontakt--basically anything that will transpose the notes before they reach CoreBass Pear.

There aren't any tuning options built into SLIDE Lap Steel, unfortunately. The detune/transpose approach should work, although I would assume that as with CoreBass Pear you would need to use a transposition option other than the one in Kontakt's instrument options area.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Thanks Greg, I'm confused though; if I wanted to tune the whole instrument to Eb (which I do) by tuning Kontakt's tune knob down a semitone, why would I then want to transpose my bass part up a semitone? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Can't the whole mapping of notes just be slid down a half-step so the Eb flat appears on the Eb key of a midi keyboard and so on for the rest of the notes? Basically I just want to tune the whole instrument down a half-step to Eb and then be able to play those notes on the appropriate corresponding keys on a midi keyboard. 

Sorry but one other thing; how about the Lap Steel.. can that be tuned flat as well? I know you sampled it in open E tuning .. Thanks a bunch 

Hey man, let me tell you what I did, to see if this is what you're looking for. 

I have a bass library that I wanted to use for metal. The lowest note of the library is C, but I wanted it to reach down to B, because that's how my guitar is tuned. So I used Kontakt's tune knob to tune the bass down half step (it's just a pitch-shifter that tunes down the audio, IMO). The problem is that now every note on the piano roll and my keyboard doesn't match what I'm hearing, right? So in my DAW, I transpose the MIDI one half-step up, so that everything lines up. I press E on the keyboard, my DAW sends E sharp to Kontakt and Kontakt detunes the output down to E.

2 hours ago, Monomox said:

Hey man, let me tell you what I did, to see if this is what you're looking for. 

I have a bass library that I wanted to use for metal. The lowest note of the library is C, but I wanted it to reach down to B, because that's how my guitar is tuned. So I used Kontakt's tune knob to tune the bass down half step (it's just a pitch-shifter that tunes down the audio, IMO). The problem is that now every note on the piano roll and my keyboard doesn't match what I'm hearing, right? So in my DAW, I transpose the MIDI one half-step up, so that everything lines up. I press E on the keyboard, my DAW sends E sharp to Kontakt and Kontakt detunes the output down to E.

Hey bud, yeah I'm trying to make sense of this voodoo. So in your example, you wanted to tune down from C to B, and you accomplished this by using Kontakt's tune function to tune *all* of the instrument's notes down a semitone. That worked, but now you hear a B note when you press C on your midi keyboard (and relative same for the rest of the notes), and that's the problem. No one wants to play e.g. an E note on their midi keyboard and have it play an Eb, or a C and have it play a B note. So your saying, to correct that, you transpose the midi in your daw up one semitone and that's what's not making sense to me. I must be misunderstanding, but it seems to me either your hardware midi keyboard, or the piano roll is going to be showing you a different note than what you're hearing - unless the midi transpose function in your daw--Cakewalk in my case--is taking care of that behind the scenes so that both the hardware midi keyboard *and* piano roll... train of thought just derailed 🤯

Edited by Christian Jones
  • Haha 1

I think I *maybe* get it. Can this be done in Cakewalk in real-time so it happens without you even noticing? Because if so, then perhaps that midi transpose in the daw thing could work for the OTS Lap Steel too, because that Lap Steel is in open E, and I'd like to take that down to.. Anybody know? Yep, Eb 🤣

In case some of you are like me and not sure what libraries to get between this OT sale and AmpleSound products (the two best guitar VIs in my opinion), then you may find this chart useful. I have attempted to find where the two libraries have sampled the same (or similar) guitar. If you can't afford both, then choose whichever ecosystem works best with your workflow and fill in the gaps with the other. Similar products occupy the same row. 

image.png.fa31828defda375537aaff96fac2a023.png

Please note that:

1. I tried to use the same metrics for uncompressed sample size but this was not always easy to find. So I may be off. The general assumption was that a larger sample size gave you better emulation, but that may not always be true. So maybe this is meaningless. Still, there are some rather large differences here so you'd think there's got to be something special included in the very large libraries.
  2. I tried to find the original introduction date to get a feel for how old some of these samples are. Again, the general assumption was that newer products were better than older products. However, I couldn't always find the original release dates. Plus, most (all?) of these have been subsequently updated - some several times. The updates may be engine/GUI updates. Some may include sample updates. So I'm not sure how important these dates are.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

I think I *maybe* get it. Can this be done in Cakewalk in real-time so it happens without you even noticing? Because if so, then perhaps that midi transpose in the daw thing could work for the OTS Lap Steel too, because that Lap Steel is in open E, and I'd like to take that down to.. Anybody know? Yep, Eb 🤣

The Acoustic Slide is tuned in open D in case that helps.

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Maybe don't try to understand it and just try it?

I use Studio One, so I don't know if it's helpful to you, but this is what I do:

Step 1: one semitone down in Kontakt

image.png.493b56d0fcd6635c6788a4a7de4429e4.png

Step 2: one semitone up in your DAW

image.png.9b98961059680bc602e0ce22504486ed.png

The only thing this does, in the end, is to give you one extra note in the lower range of the instrument.

Tuning in virtual guitars doesn't really matter, particularly with the OTS system. Those libs are designed for keyboard players, so you can even play two notes on the same string if you want to. 

EDIT: I guess the timbre of open strings changes, too, so just follow the instructions and you'll be OK

Edited by Monomox

Sorry,  I already have both sets of acoustic instrument bundles so I didn't do those. But there's a great deal of overlap:

OrangeTree -> Ample Sound

Modern Nylon -> Ample Guitar L

Flatpick 6 -> Ample Guitar T

Steel Strings -> Ample Guitar M

Songwriter -> Ample Guitar SJ

Jumbo 12 -> Ample Guitar 12

Bluegrass Banjo -> Ample Ethno Banjo

Mandolin -> 

-> Ample Ethno Ukulele

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Sorry,  I already have both sets of acoustic instrument bundles so I didn't do those. But there's a great deal of overlap:

OrangeTree -> Ample Sound

Modern Nylon -> Ample Guitar L

Flatpick 6 -> Ample Guitar T

Steel Strings -> Ample Guitar M

Songwriter -> Ample Guitar SJ

Jumbo 12 -> Ample Guitar 12

Bluegrass Banjo -> Ample Ethno Banjo

Mandolin -> 

-> Ample Ethno Ukulele

In your opinion, do you think it's worth getting the OTS acoustics (and/or the electrics for that matter) if you have the Ample Sound ones? e.g. do they sound slightly different, or have anything that stands out in terms of playability, etc?