Orange Tree Samples 2021 Group Buy

kevin H

15 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

How do you like bass pear by itself? 

Now? Gotta be better ones available. But for a VI that's at least 10 years old? Really good! CoreBass Pear was a go-to AUB VI for a long time.

Nice review here.

EDIT: Just checked. All of the CoreBass Pear files I have are dated 5/26/2011.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

How do you like bass pear by itself? 

It's a bit like Spitfire Audio stuff, in the sense that it does one thing really really well. The slap-on upright bass is excellent and the body hits and string slaps are great in a mix, but it's not so great on subtlety. If you need a percussive upright bass, this one gives trllian a run for its money (which I also have), this one is well worth the money.

Edited by Philip G Hunt

33 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

It's a bit like Spitfire Audio stuff, in the sense that it does one thing really really well. The slap on upright bass is excellent and the body hits and string slaps are great in a mix, but it's not so great on subtlety. If you need a percussive upright bass, this one gives trllian a run for its money (which I also have), this one is well worth the money.

Hmm. Can it be tuned to other keys? 

45 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

It's a sample library - wouldn't you just transpose the MIDI notes? 

Simple, right? Not so w/ Straight Ahead Upright Bass from Straight Ahead Samples. With that library, when I transposed the key down a half-step to Eb so that the Eb tuning would be mapped beginning from the Eb key on a keyboard, the script got all wonky; notes would actually change their own mapping so that when you played a note that note would then jump from its current mapping to a sharp or flat adjacent keyboard key, like a practical joke. Nightmare of a library for my use, which was to simply tune the instrument flat a half-step. 

If you're taking about playing the instrument in its natural key (E) and then transposing the notes after the fact.. no way. The instrument needs to play the way I intend it to initially and workarounds won't do for me in that case. Probably I'll just put my money towards Ample Bass and be happy. I went through this about a year ago, researching the best *Upright* bass vsts out there. There was this real sought-after one, I believe made by a Japanese guy, who took it off the market for a moment but promised that it was being improved and would be released again soon and people were almost begging him for it. Don't remember what it was called now, but quick research could probably dig it up. 

In any case OTS Bass Pear will be like $23 if it gets to 60%, and here in Seattle it's easy to spend $23+ on dinner for *one*! So, 

Edited by Christian Jones
Actually, that was merely lunch for one, as my fish n chips lunch from this place the other day was a bit over $25!

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

There was this real sought-after one, I believe made by a Japanese guy, who took it off the market for a moment but promised that it was being improved and would be released again soon and people were almost begging him for it. Don't remember what it was called now, but quick research could probably dig it up. 

https://premiersoundfactory.com/acoustic-bass-premier-g/

That's what I was talking about, I guess it's back now. People were crazy about it, I'll have to research it again

The *upright* one that is, for $75

4 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Simple, right? Not so w/ Straight Ahead Upright Bass from Straight Ahead Samples. With that library, when I transposed the key down a half-step to Eb so that the Eb tuning would be mapped beginning from the Eb key on a keyboard, the script got all wonky; notes would actually change their own mapping so that when you played a note that note would then jump from its current mapping to a sharp or flat adjacent keyboard key, like a practical joke. Nightmare of a library for my use, which was to simply tune the instrument flat a half-step.

Sounds like you might have transposed the key switching notes and not just the playable sample range or lower notes into the key switch range (Eb looks like it would become a key switch if transposed a 1/2 step down) - that would cause all kinds of wonky behavior.
image.png.2b725acf8762df9a8b36bfbdca3873ad.png

I ran into similar madness in the (now distant) past when having to transpose MIDI parts because the arranger wrote the song in the wrong key for the singer.

Edited by TheSteven

20 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Sounds like you might have transposed the key switching notes and not just the playable sample range or lower notes into the key switch range (Eb looks like it would become a key switch if transposed a 1/2 step down) - that would cause all kinds of wonky behavior.
image.png.2b725acf8762df9a8b36bfbdca3873ad.png

Yeah I believe that was it as I dug up an old post where I asked about it here some time ago and I now recall that the key switches were in the way of what I wanted to do, so when I tried to transpose it just messed everything up. That library otherwise had a great raw sound that I wanted to be mine but no. IIRC, I think there was naturally an Eb note present in that library, but I wanted the sampled E note to be the Eb, so I used Kontakt's transpose function to make it happen and then I attempted to "slide" the whole mapping down a half step to accommodate and the key switches went haywire and so did some of the notes. 

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Yeah I believe that was it as I dug up an old post where I asked about it here some time ago and I now recall that the key switches were in the way of what I wanted to do, so when I tried to transpose it just messed everything up. That library otherwise had a great raw sound that I wanted to be mine but no. IIRC, I think there was naturally an Eb note present in that library, but I wanted the sampled E note to be the Eb, so I used Kontakt's transpose function to make it happen and then I attempted to "slide" the whole mapping down a half step to accommodate and the key switches went haywire and so did some of the notes. 

I always used Cakewalk's Process/Transpose functions (and sometimes CAL) to actually reassign the MIDI notes to new values or just manually dragging selections around in the Piano Roll view, never messed with Kontakt's transpose functions (actually never even thought about actually transposing the pitches in Kontakt).
After awhile I started putting MIDI data like key switching, program changes, Automation (volume, panning, etc.) on a separate track so I could mute it if needed or to aid in trouble shooting WSH (weird shit happening) or unplanned instrument changes (artist: I don't really like that flute can you make that a trumpet/sax/synth?) wrecking carefully crafted automation. 

Edited by TheSteven

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Just heard from a cousin in Vancouver 😎

I live just outside of Vancouver in Abbotsford. We don't have the luxury of living near the ocean. It was 43 C or 109.4 F to those of you who live south of the border. Tomorrow it is supposed to be a balmy 33 C or 91 F. I can hardly wait.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I always used Cakewalk's Process/Transpose functions (and sometimes CAL) to actually reassign the MIDI notes to new values or just manually dragging selections around in the Piano Roll view, never messed with Kontakt's transpose functions (actually never even thought about actually transposing the pitches in Kontakt).
After awhile I started putting MIDI data like key switching, program changes, Automation (volume, panning, etc.) on a separate track so I could mute it if needed or to aid in trouble shooting WSH (weird shit happening) or unplanned instrument changes (artist: I don't really like that flute can you make that a trumpet/sax/synth?) wrecking carefully crafted automation. 

Yeah, but that's all done in post. I need the instrument to play a certain way right out the gate in real time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheSteven said:
19 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

That discussion led me to an idea that the Cakewalk's articulations transpose function (MIDI transform) should avoid transposing to any note that has already an articulation assigned. Or do we have it already implemented?

Edited by chris.r

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

That discussion led me to an idea that the Cakewalk's articulations transpose function (MIDI transform) should avoid transposing to any note that has already an articulation assigned. Or do we have it already implemented?

You can configure an articulation so that the keyswitches aren't transposed but a range of keys are.  But that would mean you would have a special transpose articulation map.  It's not a generic thing.  And it doesn't stack with other MIDI processing plugins (including one's bundled with Cakewalk).  Everyone sees only MIDI notes.

• Thanks 1