Orange Tree Samples 2021 Group Buy

kevin H

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Yeah I'll have a look. As a guitar player though I refuse to go anywhere near a guitar library, though I also play keys and I've got plenty of keys libraries but that's not the same imo.. keys, whether you play a real synthesizer or samples on a midi keyboard, it's still keys. But a guitar is not keys and so triggering a guitar from a midi keyboard is just a big turn-off to me and I can't get my mind around it. Though, as I do mess with a little southern goth dark blue grass maybe I'll pick up the banjo... and trigger that from a midi keyboard *sigh*.. I know

I don't have a good tracking room for recording acoustic instruments. And going DI doesn't sound like the an acoustic instrument (except for my Schertler-equiped mandolin). So I use guitar VSTis a lot and, being a guitarist, I can get the fingering and articulations to mimic what I play pretty well. It sounds pretty darn real with AmpleSound instruments. Still need to learn more about OrangeTree. I was pretty disappointed with their mandolin, but it's usually good enough if you stay away from legato, slides, and tremolo. This may be a good opportunity to give them a shot without spending as much as i otherwise would.

29 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

What are the chances anyway that this group buy gets up to the 1500 needed to get the full 60% off? There's still 13 days and currently up to 515..

In 2019 they reached goal of 1500 for 60%. Last year they reached 1000 for 50% target.  So far in the last couple years that I participated they have hit their goals.  So I think chances are pretty good. I’ll let others comment as well. 

12 hours ago, Fleer said:

Meanwhile, anxiously looking out for that Rosewood upgrade :)

How's the playability compared to some of the better sampled instruments (e.g., Modern U) and Pianoteq? I in no way 'need' this, but a C7 is a piano I don't actually have covered well with other libraries (though I have 3 versions of the CFX 🙂 ).

I was sort of expecting to upgrade one of my VSL pianos from standard to full this month, but the discounts aren't good enough to make me pull the trigger which means I'm looking at OTS instead. 

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

What are the chances anyway that this group buy gets up to the 1500 needed to get the full 60% off? There's still 13 days and currently up to 515..

Over 1/3 of the way in less than a day...
I'd be surprised if they don't hit the mark with time to spare.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Well OTS has a lap steel IIRC, I don't do country but check this guy out.. this is what I'd do with it, send it through octaves and wobbly chorus pedals and an HM2 lol 

I got the OTS lap steel a few years back and, though I've only used it on a few tracks, it's really nice. I did find that the presets were not 'mix ready' but if you tweak the sound, you can get what you want. It's well worth picking up.

1 hour ago, Craig Fowler said:

How's the playability compared to some of the better sampled instruments (e.g., Modern U) and Pianoteq? I in no way 'need' this, but a C7 is a piano I don't actually have covered well with other libraries (though I have 3 versions of the CFX 🙂 ).

I was sort of expecting to upgrade one of my VSL pianos from standard to full this month, but the discounts aren't good enough to make me pull the trigger which means I'm looking at OTS instead. 

I wouldn’t say playability is its strongest point (as that would definitely be Pianoteq’s) but it has a wonderful mellow sound. I’m sure the promised update will even make it better than ever. 

• Thanks 1

I took the survey to add to my current orange slices. So now I have 25% of orange slice. My acoustic bundle upgrade price, for the banjo, is now $73.45 which is pre-orange slices discount.

If it hits 60% I may well add The Famous E Electric Piano which would be the last lib I don't own.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I took the survey to add to my current orange slices. So now I have 25% of orange slice. My acoustic bundle upgrade price, for the banjo, is now $73.45 which is pre-orange slices discount.

If it hits 60% I may well add The Famous E Electric Piano which would be the last lib I don't own.

That’s the one I’m going for too. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I did find that the presets were not 'mix ready' but if you tweak the sound, you can get what you want. It's well worth picking up.

Hmm well that's ok I guess, I mean my electric guitar is not mix ready all on its own either so if I just look at it along them lines.. besides I don't know that I would want this thing to be mix ready anyway as I want to put it through all kinds of weird effects and amp sims so it would be good to start with the natural sound. But thanks yeah I'll be picking up this lap steel. 

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

By "last lib I don't own" do you mean the last library you don't own from Orange Tree Samples or the last library you don't own out of all the world's sample libraries? 🤣

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Hmm well that's ok I guess, I mean my electric guitar is not mix ready all on its own either so if I just look at it along them lines.. besides I don't know that I would want this thing to be mix ready anyway as I want to put it through all kinds of weird effects and amp sims so it would be good to start with the natural sound. But thanks yeah I'll be picking up this lap steel. 

Keep in mind. To get the best out of it, you'll need a keyboard with mod wheels, knobs and sliders to get that real lap steel sound. I suggest watching the walkthrough video to really get an understanding of the instrument first.

What I mean by not mix ready is that it's not like the ujam stuff which could be dropped into a mix with very little tweaking. 

3 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

What I mean by not mix ready is that it's not like the ujam stuff which could be dropped into a mix with very little tweaking.

Yeah I getcha. I'm typically not a fan of mix ready sounds anyway except for in the case of some electronic drums. 

5 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

To get the best out of it, you'll need a keyboard with mod wheels, knobs and sliders to get that real lap steel sound.

I'm all set then, I've got a Novation SL61 MKIII

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

That's my biggest gripe with UJAM. Wet as hell. So far unable to locate either a "dry" or "DI" switch.

Sometimes it's OK to not be "mix ready". Or at least have that option...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

By "last lib I don't own" do you mean the last library you don't own from Orange Tree Samples or the last library you don't own out of all the world's sample libraries? 🤣

last OTS lib

HTH

4 hours ago, Bapu said:

If it hits 60% I may well add The Famous E Electric Piano

Ditto on that (and the 'may') - it would be the last OTS lib (currently offered) that I would think of acquiring.
I don't have Angelic Keys and frankly have no interest in it, not my cup of tea...

3 hours ago, abacab said:

That's my biggest gripe with UJAM. Wet as hell. So far unable to locate either a "dry" or "DI" switch.

Sometimes it's OK to not be "mix ready". Or at least have that option...

Just to clarify. I'm not a fan of ujam. In fact, I uninstalled all their stuff because I found I never used it. It sounds great in isolation (mix ready) but stands out like a shitty sore thumb in the mix.

• Like 1