Orange Tree Samples 2021 Group Buy

kevin H

Summer 2021 Group Buy

We're excited to announce the Orange Tree Samples Summer 2021 Group Buy sale, your opportunity to get up to 60% OFF all our sample libraries and bundles!

In a group buy, the more people that join the sale, the greater the discount becomes, up to 60% OFF at the highest discount tier.

Starting today, all you have to do to join the sale is to add a library to your group buy order.

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/group-buy

The sign-up period only lasts until July 5th, so be sure to join the sale before then so you can take advantage of the discount.

You can change your group buy order at any point, even after the group buy has ended, so even if you aren't sure which exact library or libraries you want, be sure to add something to your group buy order to reserve your spot in the sale.

Edited by kevin H
Updated link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

I kind of forgotten about these guys for a minute.. any recommended libraries from them? 

I've consulted to Orange Tree Samples and I'm friends with the boss, so you can certainly say that I have some bias -- Greg is sincerely one of the nicest people I know. But I am still an honest to goodness superfan. My favorite electric guitar is the Evolution Rock Standard, the Les Paul. But I love the others as well, especially the Rick 12 string. For the acoustic guitars, Evolution Songwriter and Steel Strings are my go tos. For the basses, Flatwound and Roundwound. The Famous E Rhodes electric piano is killer. It's actually at the point where it's so good I feel guilty having it, as my playing is pretty lousy and in the right hands, this is fantastic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Summer 2021 Group Buy

We're excited to announce the Orange Tree Samples Summer 2021 Group Buy sale, your opportunity to get up to 60% OFF all our sample libraries and bundles!

In a group buy, the more people that join the sale, the greater the discount becomes, up to 60% OFF at the highest discount tier.

Starting today, all you have to do to join the sale is to add a library to your group buy order.

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/account/group-buy

The sign-up period only lasts until July 5th, so be sure to join the sale before then so you can take advantage of the discount.

You can change your group buy order at any point, even after the group buy has ended, so even if you aren't sure which exact library or libraries you want, be sure to add something to your group buy order to reserve your spot in the sale.

You might want to change the link to https://www.orangetreesamples.com/group-buy. You link requires a person to be logged in to OTS.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, antler said:

How do the OTS guitars compare against ISW's Shreddage 3 series?

It's been a while, but ISW's founder once personally compared his (Shreddage) guitar libraries to OTS's to me stating that Orange Tree Samples'  Evolution libraries are incredibly more detailed.  I'm pretty sure that's still the case.  On one level, you can start with an Evolution library and just use the presets to get started with some great sounds without delving in, but when you go deeper, it's really amazing what you can do with Orange Tree Samples. Check out Orange Tree Samples' YouTube videos.  Virtually anything you can think of -- and many things you likely never even thought of -- can be done with those libraries. It's truly a next level guitar library when you understand what it can do. But my personal opinion is, start off with the presets -- or DI with amp sims -- and you'll be amazed at what you can do without going deeper. 

I do own some non-guitar ISW libraries -- I really like ISW's Rhapsody Colors and I rarely see anyone talking about that.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Yeah I'll have a look. As a guitar player though I refuse to go anywhere near a guitar library, though I also play keys and I've got plenty of keys libraries but that's not the same imo.. keys, whether you play a real synthesizer or samples on a midi keyboard, it's still keys. But a guitar is not keys and so triggering a guitar from a midi keyboard is just a big turn-off to me and I can't get my mind around it. Though, as I do mess with a little southern goth dark blue grass maybe I'll pick up the banjo... and trigger that from a midi keyboard *sigh*.. I know

4 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Well OTS has a lap steel IIRC, I don't do country but check this guy out.. this is what I'd do with it, send it through octaves and wobbly chorus pedals and an HM2 lol 

Different animals. A lap steel is much simpler than a pedal steel. The lap steel. 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:10 AM, Christian Jones said:

Yeah I'll have a look. As a guitar player though I refuse to go anywhere near a guitar library, though I also play keys and I've got plenty of keys libraries but that's not the same imo.. keys, whether you play a real synthesizer or samples on a midi keyboard, it's still keys. But a guitar is not keys and so triggering a guitar from a midi keyboard is just a big turn-off to me and I can't get my mind around it. Though, as I do mess with a little southern goth dark blue grass maybe I'll pick up the banjo... and trigger that from a midi keyboard *sigh*.. I know

My experience has been that the use of guitar libraries depends on what you want to do. If you have an original song that you wrote with a guitar rhythm, then trying to get a midi driven equivalent on a library will probably be a waste of time, you may as well record your guitar. Acoustic strumming can also still sound artificial. 

But if you want to supplement a project with electric guitar bits like some finger picking, some heavy single notes or a strummed chord here and there or you are prepared to mould the project to suit the rhythm patterns of the VST then they can be very useful and very convincing. Or you might get lucky and find a strum pattern that suits your song. You can program lead bits and so forth 

A keyboard and a guitar are different instruments, a keyboard has one note per key but a guitar can produce 4 different timbre notes using the same note in the same octave. You can play that same note on different strings, creating a different timbre or sound although it is the same note. 

This is not much of a concern for keyboard players looking to emulate guitar but it can be annoying for example, jazz players looking to emulate the sound of chords up and down the fretboard. Different VSTi's address this in different ways and some don't bother at all. They usually have a fretboard indicator that you can fix with a key modifier so it forces the VST to play only the notes within the range of about 3 frets anywhere on the fretboard, I've found this works well in most cases.

Of course it will only work if the VSTi has sampled the entire fretboard and not just mapped one note per key. I forget how the Orange Tree VST's address this.

I've used them to also transcribe pieces of what I play on acoustic and that taught me straight away that my playing was more amazing than I thought. I never realized how many different things my fingers and hand were doing to produce the sound and these are not really possible to transcribe in a convincing way but you can get a convincing enough performance transcribed, just not the same.

The big benefit for me is having control over finger squeak, which I can eliminate using a VST, however be warned that some libraries come with finger squeak embedded in the sample and there have been complaints about that.

Edited by Tezza
  • Thanks 3