"[Solved] Connection Error" when running "Check for Update"

Syphus

Did a search - could not find anything.

I noticed that I did not get a message telling me that there was a "Early Access" available.   So I ran the "Check for Update" in the Help drop down and I got a dialog box telling me that there was a "Connection Error"  Check back later".  I am using the latest version of cakewalk.

Tried rebooting and that did not help.

Just update the Bandlab Assistant  and tried it again - no luck.  Internet seems fine . . .    Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Thanks,

Syphus

Edited by Syphus
Solved

@Noel Borthwick  Sorry for the late reply . . .   Everything seems good on my end.  I'm not having any internet connectivity problems that I can detect.    Just checked and the error is still occurring.  I don't know if refreshing uses the the connection (I imagine it does), but that is functioning.

Is there anything I can do to check the Cakewalk connectivity?

I'm running 2021.04 build 175.  

Thanks,

Syphus

2 hours ago, Kurre said:

Could it be that you never logged out of Bandlab Assistant?

If Cakewalk also tries to log in to Bandlab i imagine that could happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by the above?  I normally stay logged in to BA, but I don't have it running.  Also as part of this (process), I updated BA to the latest version and re-logged in.  The "refresh" detection seems to be functioning.

If it was a case of Cakewalk trying to login again, would it not let me know if that was a problem.  I seem to recall at one point Cakewalk did tell me to login to BA for refresh checks  . . .   (I guess I do know what you mean).  I don't know how this process works and if that was the case (clashing login)  I would think someone would have already said something about having a problem.

I just checked the "Help" drop down and CW does show me logged in to bandlab

Thanks,

Syphus

Edited by Syphus

Can you post a screenshot of the dialog you are seeing? Checking for updates doesn't require you to be logged into your bandlab account. Its completely different.
However its worth checking if you are able to sign in to BandLab from within cakewalk and browse the BandLab library.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Can you post a screenshot of the dialog you are seeing? Checking for updates doesn't require you to be logged into your bandlab account. Its completely different.
However its worth checking if you are able to sign in to BandLab from within cakewalk and browse the BandLab library.

NC78OjP.png

The above is the error message.

I took a project and uploaded it to my bandlab library from in Cakewalk without a problem and was able to browse the project.

Also logged out and then logged back in from within Cakewalk to Bandlab (got the refreshed message).

Thanks,

Syphus

For the record the error is caused by a missing components in Windows 7. After I sent an updated build this is the actual error reported.

image.png

For the record again, anyone running Win 7 is running it at their own risk since its an unsupported OS by both Microsoft and Cakewalk.
We do not block installation today but cannot guarantee that all parts of the application will work. 

With Noel's help we were able to track this down and provide a solution to get it fixed . . .  the  notes are:

Precursor:   I had a internet error a few weeks back and I believe that is what may have cause this to occur since I never had this problem before this.  I don't know how I fixed my connection at that time.  Also I am running Win 7 (Still!), although I don't think that was the problem since this has been working all along.

Problem:  When clicking on "Check for Updates"  I received this message:

NC78OjP.png

The reason was because I was missing TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as default secure protocols in WinHTTP.  Per Noel, I could not run a "Secure Https" connection out of Cakewalk.

Solution( in this case):

Went to this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392#bkmk_easy

and applied the "Easy Fix"  This made my Cakewalk able to connect and check for updates:

So Setting to Solved and big thanks to Noel for helping me out.   Bakers are the best!

Syphus

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...