Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 User Question

Hello all,

Sorry guys if this is the incorrect area to post this question,but since it's so old of a program(and I don't have any reason to change it since I'm very good with it and no need to upgrade) I thought I'd just throw it out there and hopefully I can get some leads or answers to remedy it.

I have a very basic and generic question hopefully someone will be able to answer...I still use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9,and what I'm trying to do is select MORE than one output in the sequencer's settings...In other words,I use Coolsoft VirtualMidi Synth(a soundfont player),but I also want to select another output port to drive a USB midi interface to enable me to drive other MIDI instruments in addition to playing the soundfonts....Right now I can only select as an output port,the virtual midi synth or the interface to use...I can't use both as outputs at the same time....

Hopefully this is understood,and I would love to find a workaround for this,as I have some other sound modules and a harmonizer I would like to drive through the midi interface in conjuction with and WHILE using the VMS as a playback device...

I am very familiar with CPA9 and really don't need or want to use another sequencing program...But if it is my only option to enable TWO outputs through the sequencer(if possible at all)then I will certainly use another program to enable me to do this...

I truly appreciate any and all help concerning this issue...I love VMS and would love to continue using it,but I fear I'm going to have to go back to bad sounding midi instruments because I'll have to use only ONE output strickly to drive my midi interface and not be able to use VMS....Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 allows you to SELECT more than one output,but it only sees and enables the top input selected.

Thanks everyone!

I answered you on the MusicPlayer forums 'cause that's ahead of cakewalk in my morning bookmark list. 

If your hardware supports it, I recommend trying Cakewalk by Bandlab, it's free. And support is unparalleled.

On the downside, it is basically a completely different DAW from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. They'd be a learning curve.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

1 hour ago, Manik Groove said:

Hello all,

Sorry guys if this is the incorrect area to post this question,but since it's so old of a program(and I don't have any reason to change it since I'm very good with it and no need to upgrade) I thought I'd just throw it out there and hopefully I can get some leads or answers to remedy it.

I have a very basic and generic question hopefully someone will be able to answer...I still use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9,and what I'm trying to do is select MORE than one output in the sequencer's settings...In other words,I use Coolsoft VirtualMidi Synth(a soundfont player),but I also want to select another output port to drive a USB midi interface to enable me to drive other MIDI instruments in addition to playing the soundfonts....Right now I can only select as an output port,the virtual midi synth or the interface to use...I can't use both as outputs at the same time....

Hopefully this is understood,and I would love to find a workaround for this,as I have some other sound modules and a harmonizer I would like to drive through the midi interface in conjuction with and WHILE using the VMS as a playback device...

I am very familiar with CPA9 and really don't need or want to use another sequencing program...But if it is my only option to enable TWO outputs through the sequencer(if possible at all)then I will certainly use another program to enable me to do this...

I truly appreciate any and all help concerning this issue...I love VMS and would love to continue using it,but I fear I'm going to have to go back to bad sounding midi instruments because I'll have to use only ONE output strickly to drive my midi interface and not be able to use VMS....Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 allows you to SELECT more than one output,but it only sees and enables the top input selected.

Thanks everyone!

all you need to do is ADD more MIDI TRACKS for multiple I/O. 1 MIDI  track per instrument.

A 22 year old DAW..really ?  I think I had to upgrade to a Pentium processor just so I could run it. 

I am not quite clear on what you're trying to achieve. If you mean you want to play a midi part with both the Coolsoft VMS and en external hardware synth then you would just duplicate the midi  to a 2nd track, assign one the VMS and the other to your external midi module and combine the two signals via an external hardware mixer.

That's how we rolled back in 1999 anyway, any half decent modern soft synth is going to blow VMS out of the water though so maybe think about getting CBB and some up to date sounds.

Cakewalk can output to as many external MIDI instruments as your system has MIDI outputs equipped. Just assign one additional MIDI track for each MIDI hardware output you plan to use with the USB MIDI interface, and route them accordingly.

An internal soft synth will have it's own MIDI track, so that's an automatic setup for that first one.

Here's a quick overview of adding MIDI tracks to CbB.

5 hours ago, Manik Groove said:

what I'm trying to do is select MORE than one output in the sequencer's settings...In other words,I use Coolsoft VirtualMidi Synth(a soundfont player),but I also want to select another output port to drive a USB midi interface to enable me to drive other MIDI instruments in addition to playing the soundfonts....Right now I can only select as an output port,the virtual midi synth or the interface to use...I can't use both as outputs at the same time....

In re-reading this, I noticed another possibility in "what I'm trying to do is select MORE than one output in the sequencer's settings."

I mentioned a bit earlier that this can be done easily with one MIDI track per output. If you were implying to that you instead wanted to send a single MIDI track to multiple instrument outputs, a Cakewalk MIDI track only has one output option.

To use multiple MIDI tracks like this to arrange or layer different parts, you would need a MIDI recording or pattern on each track to playback, or if you wanted to perform them live you would enable "Input Echo = On" for any tracks that you wish to trigger from a hardware controller.