Word of Warning - Win 10 21H1 Updates

cclarry

10 hours ago, Monomox said:

by the way, this is just my two cents, but I'd rather do a clean install than an upgrade...

Usually, I'd agree with that. In the case of 8.1 to 10, upgrading seemed like a more attractive option to me: it was free. You can link your licenses to your MS account, but this was only available after some W10 update (possibly Creator's Update?).

• Like 1

So they (Microsoft) broke my working just fine, meticulously installed software with another forced update. But the new huge console with weather, news, traffic, interests and what not, is working without problem (and taking all the resources I tried to save for plugins) despite I had no interest in it at all and didn't ask for it. Bummer. If only I knew where to look for it in services so I could take it down for good!

6 minutes ago, chris.r said:

So they (Microsoft) broke my working just fine, meticulously installed software with another forced update. But the new huge console with weather, news, traffic, interests and what not, is working without problem (and taking all the resources I tried to save for plugins) despite I had no interest in it at all and didn't ask for it. Bummer. If only I knew where to look for it in services so I could take it down for good!

This frustrated me too after the last update. Here's what I found: right click the Taskbar and select "News and Interests" from the popup menu. You can shut it off from there. Not sure whether there's an unwanted service for it still running in the background somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

That does leave an exe running.  If you have Windows 10 Pro and/or access to Group Policy Editor, you can completely kill it (I forget what it's called but Google/Bing/search engine of choice should help you find it quickly).