Word of Warning - Win 10 21H1 Updates

cclarry

Just now, locrian said:

I seriously doubt this option.  MS has been a lazy, uninspired company from it's inception and will likely continue this strategy.  Monopoly has enabled them to propser.

Me too. Just saying we don't know what's going on inside MS.

Personally, I hope it isn't: the change from 98 to XP was quite painful from a hardware/software compatibility point of view

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, paulo said:

I actually did see one somewhere in the last week or so which amazed me, but I can't remember what it was right now.

I personally might think twice about using a plugin that still supports XP. The problem with those would be that they would most probably use fairly old C++ libraries and/or compilers to generate binaries that will run on XP. While most of it's probably ok, newer C++ libraries might have more optimised (i.e. faster) code, bugfixes, security patches, new functions meaning that the programmer's life is easier (and thus less likely to introduce bugs of their own).

1 hour ago, antler said:

Me too. Just saying we don't know what's going on inside MS.

Yes, I agree.   I didn't mean to sound snarky.

1 hour ago, antler said:

Personally, I hope it isn't: the change from 98 to XP was quite painful from a hardware/software compatibility point of view

I agree with this as well.  Although genuine improvements are always welcome, MS seldom delivers them.  Their changes are usually half-baked and, as you said, are painful to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

It's fairly easy to skip the questions. You can set up and use a normal local user account that isn't connected to anything else.

You might want to setup a Windows account too though (you don't have to use it for everyday use). If you get a free upgrade from 8 to 10, the upgrade will go ahead, but the problem is that you won't have a W10 key for re-installation/moving to another computer. However, if you set up a Windows account, you can then link your license to your account. This means that when it's time to change computers, you could theoretically then go to any new computer and log in with that account and use the Windows license associated with it. Note that this only applied to non-OEM licenses - OEM licences live and die on the hardware that they were put on to.

Thks , usefull info here !!

How to handle several systems ? all linked to same account , will prevent me to use both at the same time or some ?

Edited by Zo

3 hours ago, henkejs said:

For a while now, my update settings page says version 21H1 is available whenever I want to download and install it. I've just been ignoring the message and taking the regular maintenance updates as they come along. How long Windows will let this go on before it forces the 21H1 update on me?

Anytime. Mine just took me by surprise (it was from 1909 to 20...something) and broke many plugins and apps. Since then I did repair most of them but a few of less importance are still left broken as I ran out of attitude. To me it's a pita.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Thks , usefull info here !!

How to handle several systems ? all linked to same account , will prevent me to use both at the same time or some ?

Not sure how it works for multiple licenses - sorry. There are some sites that suggest some people (e.g. in small businesses) have as many as 10 licenses linked to their single account, so you should probably be ok.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, antler said:

I personally might think twice about using a plugin that still supports XP. The problem with those would be that they would most probably use fairly old C++ libraries and/or compilers to generate binaries that will run on XP. While most of it's probably ok, newer C++ libraries might have more optimised (i.e. faster) code, bugfixes, security patches, new functions meaning that the programmer's life is easier (and thus less likely to introduce bugs of their own).

Dream on! It's the contrary, I can assure you that! 😉

4 hours ago, antler said:

I don't think I've seen a plugin that supports XP in quite a while now; do you have any examples?

There are many that just write VST2/3 support is required, so no limitation to the Windows version. And by the way there is even a DAW that supports XP: Reaper!

6 hours ago, Promidi said:

Yeah, but we are dealing with Cakewalk developers.  Let me know what happens if you ever need to contact Cakewalk support and you disclose to them that you're still on an unsupported OS.  Ok, they will probably still accommodate you (because that's how I think they roll) , but you’ll probably still get the lecture....

Honestly, I don't believe in any support anymore. Nowadays it's common that the user has to support himself!

5 hours ago, henkejs said:

For a while now, my update settings page says version 21H1 is available whenever I want to download and install it. I've just been ignoring the message and taking the regular maintenance updates as they come along. How long Windows will let this go on before it forces the 21H1 update on me?

If you are online, then I think it will not be possible to stop it forever! But if you keep your system offline most of the time and disable update before going online for a short time, then I think you have a chance to block it for a longer time.

It is such  threads that make me very thoughtful! There are so many users today that fight against automatic updates on many software (not only Windows). I think there is something completely wrong if the users don't want updates anymore! I think the developers should really reflect about their unloved updates! The modern software update philosophy reminds me more of communist brainwash than of real boon! 😄

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marled said:

Honestly, I don't believe in any support anymore. Nowadays it's common that the user has to support himself!

I would not be so quick to write off support.

There have been some specific bugs in Cakewalk by Bandlab that I have reported to Cakewalk support that have ended up being fixed in subsequent updates.  One such bug fix even made it into the 2021.6 early release. 

• Like 1

@cclarry just so you know you are not alone. I found that out of the blue,  radeon adrenaline drivers failed to load for the first time ever and I had to reinstall them from the amd site and restart to get my display configuration back. I sent a bug report to Radeon. I assume this could be to do with a windows update. I was already on 21H1 so suspected this was a patch release  2021-06 KB4023057 although strangely the issue happened on the 17th but the patch was installed on the 11th. The only other thing I can think of is there was a silent Radeon update that borked everything.

Edited by Hatstand

I did update my non-DAW to 21H1 and so far all is good.

My DAW was locked into 1909 (paused updated) but I brought it up to 20H2 yesterday, so far no problems. In fact it must have updated something on my mobo because I can now get my max resolution on my 43" 4K HD monitor, I was not able to under 1909.

22 hours ago, Zo said:

How to handle several systems ? all linked to same account , will prevent me to use both at the same time or some

No, it will not prevent you from using both systems at the same time.

Microsoft accounts are a way of associating certain things with an email address instead of associating them with a machine. The relation of Windows accounts and machines is not one-to-one. You can have one PC with multiple windows account (e.g., a family pc with an account for every member of the family) and you can have multiple PCs with the same account on them (following with the previous example, I would have my account on my main machine and on the machine(s) shared by the family).

You can still create local accounts but it is generally more useful logging in using an email (your Microsoft account) instead. Some advantages are: single-sign-on capabilities (if I change my password, I do it once and don't need to also go into each shared PC to update them, or remember different passwords for different PCs), sync selected settings across systems (e.g., if I like using double-clicks to open programs and my wife likes single-clicks, there is no need to configure each machine individually, the setting can be sync'ed and get applied depending on which account was used to log in), share cloud services across machines (e.g., when I log in to onedrive cloud storage using my account it shows my files, when other family members log in, it shows theirs),  and share information across machines about licenses for apps purchased from the Windows Store (note that this applies only to "modern apps", not "desktop apps", and I think that it is up to the app producer to allow usage everywhere or to set usage limits, I don't really know because I generally use "desktop apps" and very rarely "modern apps")

If you are already using some online service from Microsoft (e.g., onedrive, skype, bing rewards, xbox, or outlook.com) you may already have a Microsoft account without realizing it

Edited by Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

On 6/20/2021 at 8:09 AM, Zo said:

Thks Larry , do we have to mess and create a windows account and all or can i say "f...you" to each questions at initial set up ?

pff, late response, but you don't need to create an account or login during installation... the surefire way is to make sure your computer has no access to the internet while you're upgrading or installing Win 10

I didn't want to upgrade to Win 10 either, but Win 10 has been super stable for me, no regrets

the only exception I remember is that my Waves plugins became unusable after a recent update and had to re-run some Visual C++ redistributables 

every OS has its tradeoffs

by the way, this is just my two cents, but I'd rather do a clean install than an upgrade... it's up to you, it's more work, but that way you don't get a frakenstein on the other side... I don't know, maybe the upgrading process has improved... personally, I don't chance it, though

EDIT: by the way, I'm on 20H2... I'm under the impression that Win Pro let's you have more control over updates, but can't tell for sure

Edited by Monomox
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Thks guyz , i really appreciate your inputs ....i'm gonna do if i migrate , a dual boot (2 drives) and install slowly stuff while staying on 8.1 on the other , once done and solid i will clone ...the clean re install ...