Word of Warning - Win 10 21H1 Updates

cclarry

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

what do you think Microsoft will tell the Cakewalk developers if the Cakewalk developers needed support from Microsoft for an unsupported operating system.

This is why the Cakewalk developers say that, even though Cakewalk by Bandlab will technically run on Windows 7 and 8,  Cakewalk by Bandlab is no longer supported on anything less than Windows 10.

Something to consider if you are still run on an unsupported operating system.

Fully aware of all that thank you.

When CW can no longer install on anything less than win 10, I will just stick with whatever version that is until such time as a new computer is required which is when I will make the new OS decision. I'm not really into fixing things that aren't broken. I haven't even installed the last 3 or 4 CW updates because honestly I don't really see anything in them that makes me feel the need to do so.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Well the benefits of Windows 10 do outweigh the issues.

That's what I doubt!

Besides, what do you think Microsoft will tell the Cakewalk developers if the Cakewalk developers needed support from Microsoft for an unsupported operating system.

This is why the Cakewalk developers say that, even though Cakewalk by Bandlab will technically run on Windows 7 and 8,  Cakewalk by Bandlab is no longer supported on anything less than Windows 10.

Something to consider if you are still run on an unsupported operating system.

It depends how you are developping, whether you always use the flavor of the month or you do serious and reliable work! Have you never wondered why some delopers (small teams) can still support even Windows XP? I tell you it's no wizardry! 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

Looks like mainstream support for Windows 8.1 has already ended, and extended support will end on 01/10/2023

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81

Yeah i know homie , thinking of switching soon but since i have 2 computers at least to be synced i need to make one and then the other to always have a back up in case ....my main problem is the control other craps in windows 10 , updates being one of them ...i really update if NEEDED .... 

I will also make sure the system latency is great , OS services / drivers playing a big role on that ... i have 2 options :

1) Freezing my computers at actual states and wait to switch to 11 in a year or two when mature .

2) Switch to win 10 now , so to an already obsolete os ...

17 minutes ago, Zo said:

Yeah i know homie , thinking of switching soon but since i have 2 computers at least to be synced i need to make one and then the other to always have a back up in case ....my main problem is the control other craps in windows 10 , updates being one of them ...i really update if NEEDED .... 

I will also make sure the system latency is great , OS services / drivers playing a big role on that ... i have 2 options :

1) Freezing my computers at actual states and wait to switch to 11 in a year or two when mature .

Updates are fully controllable Zo.  You can opt in or out...not an issue

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Updates are fully controllable Zo.  You can opt in or out...not an issue

Thks Larry , do we have to mess and create a windows account and all or can i say "f...you" to each questions at initial set up ?

51 minutes ago, marled said:

It depends how you are developping, whether you always use the flavor of the month or you do serious and reliable work! Have you never wondered why some delopers (small teams) can still support even Windows XP? I tell you it's no wizardry! 😆

Yeah, but we are dealing with Cakewalk developers.  Let me know what happens if you ever need to contact Cakewalk support and you disclose to them that you're still on an unsupported OS.  Ok, they will probably still accommodate you (because that's how I think they roll) , but you’ll probably still get the lecture....

• Great Idea 1

15 minutes ago, Zo said:

Thks Larry , do we have to mess and create a windows account and all or can i say "f...you" to each questions at initial set up ?

I believe you can "Skip" the questions Zo...but it's been a while, so can't say for sure

• Like 1

For a while now, my update settings page says version 21H1 is available whenever I want to download and install it. I've just been ignoring the message and taking the regular maintenance updates as they come along. How long Windows will let this go on before it forces the 21H1 update on me?

Thanks for this reminder to check for changes caused by Windows 10 Updates.  Sometimes (more with earlier updates than recent updates) one of my HDD's extended partitions disappears.  It took a while but I found an easy solution (run/reinstall an Acronis "extended capacity" disk manager).

With a recent update to 21H1, I totally missed that this particular solution once again needed to applied. So, thanks!

I wanted to mention the details because perhaps with other hardware that the update changes (e.g., monitors), perhaps there is a similar fix--reinstalling a hardware management tool. 

Edited by User 905133
to fix a couple of typos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zo said:

We still don't know what Windows 11 is - it could be:

• a completely new version of Windows, similar to what XP was to 98
  • a marketing name for 21H2 (or whenever it's going to come out)
  • a new skin for Windows 10
  • anything in between

We'll find out soon though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

It's fairly easy to skip the questions. You can set up and use a normal local user account that isn't connected to anything else.

You might want to setup a Windows account too though (you don't have to use it for everyday use). If you get a free upgrade from 8 to 10, the upgrade will go ahead, but the problem is that you won't have a W10 key for re-installation/moving to another computer. However, if you set up a Windows account, you can then link your license to your account. This means that when it's time to change computers, you could theoretically then go to any new computer and log in with that account and use the Windows license associated with it. Note that this only applied to non-OEM licenses - OEM licences live and die on the hardware that they were put on to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marled said:

I don't think I've seen a plugin that supports XP in quite a while now; do you have any examples?

43 minutes ago, antler said:

I don't think I've seen a plugin that supports XP in quite a while now; do you have any examples?

I actually did see one somewhere in the last week or so which amazed me, but I can't remember what it was right now.

2 hours ago, antler said:

We still don't know what Windows 11 is - it could be:

• a completely new version of Windows, similar to what XP was to 98 ...

I seriously doubt this option.  MS has been a lazy, uninspired company from it's inception and will likely continue this strategy.  Monopoly has enabled them to propser.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1