Word of Warning - Win 10 21H1 Updates

cclarry

Just a warning...don't know if it was exclusive to me or what, but the update
today for Windows 21H1 switched my display resolution to 640 x 480 and would
NOT let me change it back...video settings were completely greyed out.
I had to uninstall the Update in order to be able to get
back to 1920 x 1080.

( I have a Sony 50" 4K Monitor/TV)

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Just a warning...don't know if it was exclusive to me or what, but the update
today for Windows 21H1 switched my display resolution to 640 x 480 and would
NOT let me change it back...video settings were completely greyed out.
I had to uninstall the Update in order to be able to get
back to 1920 x 1080.

I wonder if this is because the feature update reinstalled a generic display driver. 

Did you try reinstalling your display drivers prior to rolling back to 20H2 (or whatever you had before)?

Remember, feature updates ignore the group policy settings to tell Microsoft to ignore drivers.

I am sure other users have updated to 21H1 where this has not happened.

3 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I wonder if this is because the feature update reinstalled a generic display driver. 

Did you try reinstalling your display drivers prior to rolling back to 20H2 (or whatever you had before)?

Remember, feature updates ignore the group policy settings to tell Microsoft to ignore drivers.

I am sure other users have updated to 21H1 where this has not happened.

I tried everything, and the only thing that got me back was uninstalling the cumulative update today...
I'm still on 21H1, but just uninstalled the most recent update and all is well!

Yesterday, in order to get rid of a returning nag screen, I finally clicked "OK" and let my smart TV update it's OS. Since then one of my favorite feature is gone, for no apparent reason they either ditched it or messed up.

I see it becoming a modern world standard: "we just added some new features you probably don't need... oh by the way we screwed some of your favorites". Bad times. Sorry for off topic.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I tried everything, and the only thing that got me back was uninstalling the cumulative update today...
I'm still on 21H1, but just uninstalled the most recent update and all is well!

Can you post the KB number of the specific update that you believed caused the issue?

Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5003690)

It didn't show in my history...I hit check for updates...now the stupid thing is going to install again...
I'm starting to really dislike this update system

Just now, Doug Rintoul said:

Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to try the update. Everything worked fine at this end. It didn't take that long to do the update either.

What graphics card do you have cclarry?

Radeon R7 200 Series

Just checked my updates and there was another seemingly larger cumulative update for 21H1. It is KB5004476. I have an Nvidia card. Maybe this update will screw up my machine.

Machine is restarting. Be back in five minutes, or maybe never depending on the outcome.

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Radeon R7 200 Series

Larry , there a software that unable greyed stuff in windows "windows enabler" or some like that , give it a try ...

long live windows 8

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1

The last time I had an issue with a Windows 10 update was back in 2016 with a modified PCR-800 driver.  And that was easily fixed by reinstalling said modified driver.  I am on 20H2 (I have not been offered 21H1 as yet)

All other times, for me, Windows 10 updates (feature and quality) have gone smoothly....

5 hours ago, locrian said:

Me too.  I plan to stay with it [1909] as long as possible given it's rock-solid stability.

Windows 10 1909 reached the end of servicing on May 11, 2021 and won’t receive security updates after that (link). I had 1909 on my old ThinkPad and saw no option but to try to update to 20H2 as suggested. It succeeded on the second attempt last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

FWIW, running Windows 21H1 here without issues.

@cclarry - definitely sounds like a compatibility issue with your graphics driver. 

I'm running with my on-board graphics card, but Intel released an updated graphics driver shortly before the Windows 2004 release (which was surprising given it's for an old 3rd gen i7).  But I guess the updates were needed to support the newer Windows versions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulo said:

But......but.......windows 10 is great, right? ......Anyone who hasn't updated their DAW PC to win 10 must be some kind of idiot.......

Well the benefits of Windows 10 do outweigh the issues. 

Besides, what do you think Microsoft will tell the Cakewalk developers if the Cakewalk developers needed support from Microsoft for an unsupported operating system.

This is why the Cakewalk developers say that, even though Cakewalk by Bandlab will technically run on Windows 7 and 8,  Cakewalk by Bandlab is no longer supported on anything less than Windows 10.

Something to consider if you are still run on an unsupported operating system.