Add ability to filter directly on the Event View - Minor

Terry Kelley

You can click on View in the Event View to select the >>viewing<< filter.  But it sounds like you want an editing filter:

image.png.a7c32bcce4da9b4672ab7a738e3195fc.pngimage.png.5cdff06e8181346d41a389368f279741.png

Just did a quick test with some midi events in something I was working on. 

(1) While in the Event View, I did Ctrl+A to select all events.

(2) Then I used the E shortcut as Mark suggested but to the Global Binding > Select events meeting certain criteria function (which brought up the Event Filter while in the Event View).

(3) I unselected everything in the Include column of the filter except for [x] Note and set the Note range for  C0 to Bb3.

image.png.5d7ecd1d3b319e8fc8019aafd6c81b46.png

Maybe there are other ways, too?  If so, here's another one. 

Edited by User 905133
to add an image and a second one and a list of the steps I used and a third image
  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

Ah ha! See I tried finding Select in the shortcuts some time back and couldn't find it. I assumed it wasn't available. A quick look in Global and there it was. Thanks guys for helping.  It saves a lot of motion.

You can formally remove my demand. :)

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just to clarify, there is no "Event View" per se.

There's Event List (Menu Bar>Views), Event Inspector (Control Bar), Event Manager (Event List>View), and Event Filter (Menu Bar>Edit>Select>By Filter...).

"Event View" could be any of those w/o pics to verify... so Thanks for the pics. :)

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Just to clarify, there is no "Event View" per se.

There's Event List (File menu>Views), Event Inspector (Control Bar), Event Manager (Event List>View), and Event Filter (File menu>Edit>Select>By Filter...).

"Event View" could be any of those w/o pics to verify... so Thanks for the pics. :)

Ahem . . . as long as we are being "precise,"  "File" is the first item on the Menu Bar; Views is the second item on the Menu Bar.  

On 6/18/2021 at 3:14 PM, Terry Kelley said:

Minor request. It would be nice to be able to filter the Event View directly from that window. Yeah, I know I can click on View->Select but it would be nice to have it directly on the Event View.

The feature request was over a year ago and I seem to recall (1) understanding Terry as referring to the Menu Bar > Views > Event List when he said "Event View," (2) understanding Mark's response as referring to the Menu Bar > Views > Event List when he suggested setting up a keyboard short-cut [technically a key binding, I suppose] for Event List View > Open Event Manager, and (3) thinking about  saying something like your clarification (though not to the same level of detail), but I was more focused on showing how to set up a key binding to the Event Filter - Select Some dialog box because I thought Terry was asking for a feature that led to editing as opposed to viewing.

Now I am not sure that my prior understandings were what Terry and Mark intended.  I will have to re-read all of this at the start of a new day, not at the end of a long day.

• Like 1