Repeating a bar/measure/clip x times before moving on

This discussion makes me feel like such a dinosaur. If I want something repeated 16 times, I physically play it 16 times using my own actual fingers. Sure, each repetition might not be identical, but I see that as a positive.

That said, on the rare occasions when I do want to exactly duplicate something, like maybe a tambourine hit, I have no problem using the exact same technique as I'd use with any other type of editor: CTL-C / CTL-V. Yeh, I have loop libraries that allow for a single MIDI note to be stretched to any length, but rarely use them because despite their undeniable convenience, in the end they're just excruciatingly booooring.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2021 at 3:23 AM, Jeremy Oakes said:

Thanks ! 

Yess i know this.

I have a fixation about the ||: and :|| symbols …….. sad!

I’ve put in a feature request - i think in track view it would be more economic to use such a feature.

cheers and thakns to everyone who replied,

J

I think you're banging your head against the wall for no real good reason. The repeat symbols are really nothing more than a graphic symbol that is a arbitrary convention used in music notation that has no meaning outside that context.

If you were to write your piece out in a notation program - repeat signs and all - and then export it as a midi file and then open that midi file and any sequencer of your choosing, guess what. It's going to unroll all those repeats.

9 hours ago, bdickens said:

I think you're banging your head against the wall for no real good reason. The repeat symbols are really nothing more than a graphic symbol that is a arbitrary convention used in music notation that has no meaning outside that context.

If you were to write your piece out in a notation program - repeat signs and all - and then export it as a midi file and then open that midi file and any sequencer of your choosing, guess what. It's going to unroll all those repeats.

Yes. This is exactly what i did.  It works btw. Either Guitar Pro or Notion works fine.

Thanks,

J