Export Multiple File Formats Simultaneously

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Other DAWs such as PT or Cubase have the option to Export more than one file format of the mix at the same time.  This is very handy when delivering final files to Clients when you need a lossy file for emailing etc for approval or edits as well as a full quality lossless version for the master. 

i.e

Client Approval Copy = 320k MP3

Master Copy = 48k 24bit Wav

They would be called MyMix.mp3 & MyMix.wav .....Is there any reason these could not be rendered at the same time in Cakewalk ?

No but file creation would probably not happen concurrently. The files would be created one after the other or at least after the wav is created.

Having SONAR X2 through Platinum installed, I am not sure if the old Cakewalk External Audio Encoder Setup utility is still part of CbB. 

If this tool is on the Utilities menu, it is possible using external encoders to create whatever formats you wish along with a wav. The wav file is used by the external encoders to create the other formats.

The utility creates the registry entries used during export to drive external encoders.

Even without the tool, my guess is the hooks are still in the export process to support the feature.

35 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

We're actually working on something like this at the moment.  It won't be in the 2021.06 release, but hopefully the one after that.

Great to hear that you guys are working at improving the export workflow. It is one of the few areas that feel a little underwhelming at the moment. If its not already in the works as part of that, the ability to set defaults or at least remember our choices by projects would be a time saver. As @Mark Morgon-Shaw I always export in two formats like him. But wav always defaults to 32 bits when we need 24 bits and mp3 defaults to the lowest quality when we need the highest quality.  I also like to include id3 tags for mp3s and although part of the tags can be set in the projects settings, not all of them.

Looking forward to try any improvements to the export you guys  cook up for us! 👍

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

No but file creation would probably not happen concurrently. The files would be created one after the other or at least after the wav is created.

Which is totaly fine. Being able to chain multiple exports frees you from being there to start the next one. Start multiple exports, go make coffee, come back and it's all done, great!

Export defaults to the Render Bit Depth in preferences but I am pretty sure this can be overridden using an export preset and IIRC, that setting is persistent.

Starting with SONAR 4 it has been possible to chain creating a wav and another format as long as there was a command line encoder available for the other format. Many used this feature instead of purchasing the mp3 license from Cakewalk. I believe Cakewalk even supplied external encoder definitions for lame and a few other encoders at one time. The command line options are limited though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

Export defaults to the Render Bit Depth in preferences but I am pretty sure this can be overridden using an export preset and IIRC, that setting is persistent.

Starting with SONAR 4 it has been possible to chain creating a wav and another format as long as there was a command line encoder available for the other format. Many used this feature instead of purchasing the mp3 license from Cakewalk. I believe Cakewalk even supplied external encoder definitions for lame and a few other encoders at one time. The number of command line options were limited though.

Thanks! I'll look into these avenues and see if I can make my exports easier. I seems easy enough to default the wav bitrate with these. For mp3, I'll probably wait and see what the bakers are cooking for us in the next release...