latency

Kawika

18 hours ago, Kawika said:

Route to one of the FX?....Even though I'm not using an Antelope Effect?

You can record dry or with FX. That is entirely up to you. Keep in mind that you can record the dry input while monitoring the FX. If you want to record using VST FX then you are stuck with round trip latency. 

If round trip is your preference then the Antelope Windows Thunderbolt driver allows the buffer to be set as low as 8. Of course you would need a processor (and cooler) that can handle that without starting a fire.

Edited by Base 57
clarity ?

Ok, thanks Base 57.

Yea, I was talking about 3rd party  VST FX. I should have been clearer.

Regarding your last line, the "round trip/T-bolt" idea........ Does that line- up with Antelope's remarks?   I was able to get the following feedback:  "I'd suggest monitoring from the control panel of the Goliath, instead of the DAW, "

I'm not sure what that set-up exactly entails?  Do you know?

thanks,

Kawika

That's the bottom line.

If the signal has to make a round trip through the DAW to audition plug-ins:

• the delay added by the interface butters is unavoidable but can be minimized by a combination of small buffer settings and high sample rate
  • the delay  added by plug-ins in the DAW can be minimized by bypassing the plug-ins with large lookahead buffers and use of the PDC override on the recording track.

10 hours ago, scook said:

That's the bottom line.

If the signal has to make a round trip through the DAW to audition plug-ins:

• the delay added by the interface butters is unavoidable but can be minimized by a combination of small buffer settings and high sample rate
  • the delay  added by plug-ins in the DAW can be minimized by bypassing the plug-ins with large lookahead buffers and use of the PDC override on the recording track.

I hate these delays, it messes up my playing.  This is why I monitor before the computer even sees the signal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kawika said:

round trip/T-bolt" idea........ Does that line- up with Antelope's remarks?   I was able to get the following feedback:  "I'd suggest monitoring from the control panel of the Goliath, instead of the DAW,

That means using the Goliath's FX.

Maybe you have done this already but if you have not... Try experimenting with the Goliath's control pane without opening Cakewalk (or any other host) until you fully understand how it's routing matrix, mixers and FX work. I have not tried the Goliath guitar amp FX myself but if they sound as good as their comps and EQ's then the quality should be as good as any VST. Really the guitar FX are the reason to buy a Goliath in the first place.

3 hours ago, Kawika said:

Rfsongs....so you are not using Gtr software while tracking?

Right - nothing to slow down the take. And nothing to throw off my timing. If the sound comes after I hit the note the feel is going to be awful.

I said this before somewhere, but my machine is not real new. I don't know how fast a newer machine would be.

Base 57,  

Yea....I guess they  had to be talking about their (Anteope) FX. I have another email in to them for clarification.

That's good to hear re: the guitar FX are happening. I was wondering about all of the Antelope FX.

Truth be told, I have just used Goliath like  a analog machine. I was able to do basic mapping in their control panel, and I 've been using miked guitars through fenders and Marshalls, or apply soft-gtr-FX afterward..  Ok...so input/FX/out "ish" to use Antelope FX.

thanks man!

rfssongs, I hear you regarding feel. Sometimes just a few ms loses the attack, or perceived as such  by me. Although not as inspiring, I have had good results with going direct and applying the FX afterward, example solo on David Gale,  False Hope.... just released.