Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Xel Ohh said:

It seem that I am really at a loss on this update. I cannot get this replace synth to work. I create the instrument per track out .. Lets say I make 4 tracks all the tracks are sine player that can do 16 outs. I replace the 3rd track with this Replace synth on this track only I select SI strings to replace the 3rd track. The SI Strings instrument does not make any sound for the one that is replaced. I see the midi meter moving when I press a key or if I just hit play on midi that is already on the track it makes no sound at all. I check the midi settings and change that to SI Strings midi 1 still no sound from that track . I try to change the instrument back with this same Replace synth and still no sound out of the track this track no longer makes any sounds at all. I have tried with other synths like kontact.. sine player.. sampletank same issue  this track no longer plays anything I put on it. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

What does the output inside the replaced synth reads? 

Seems like the plugin don't recognized the outputs. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

SI strings does not have the option to choose an out due to it is a single instrument it doesn't have multiple outs ... And even when I choose a multi out vst same thing even when I set the out no difference. So no one else has run into this issue?

If it's suppose to replace the synth and only has a single out why did it not work?

I've replicated your problem and it looks like the replacement synth uses the same outputs as the replaced synth, so if nothing is assigned to those outputs in the replacement synth...silence.

I added a TTS-1, and then used the "Append Instrument Track" twice to end up with 3 SITs in total, with outputs from the TTS-1 being 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 respectively.  I then replaced the 3+4 (Replace on this track only) with the Korg Wavestation VSTi, which has 2 pairs of stereo outputs, by default, the second of which is disabled by default - it also has a keyboard in its GUI, so no need to worry about MIDI routing.

The Wavestation's GUI keyboard generated no audio, until I enabled Output 3/4 within the plugin, upon which sound was heard!  I then split the Wavetstaion SIT into a MIDI and audio track and looked at the routing of the audio track - as expected, its input was Wavestation 3+4.

I wouldn't class it as a bug, as it's logical, but it's not necessarily expected behaviour - defaulting to the first stereo pair output on the replacement synth as the track's input would be more useful in most cases.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maxim Ustinov said:

Please, add a gain in/out knobs on EQ PC module, it would be great for gain staging and mixing

As a workaround you may place an empty FX-Chain-PC-Module before and after the EQ-PC-Module.
The FX-Chain-PC-Module has two gain knobs, indeed. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean-Philippe ROGER said:

Hello !

Is it normal that when using the external effects, the sound card outputs are seen as a stereo pair even though the track is mono?
Thank you

Yes, this is a known limitation with the External Insert currently.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

20 hours ago, Xel Ohh said:

SI strings does not have the option to choose an out due to it is a single instrument it doesn't have multiple outs ... And even when I choose a multi out vst same thing even when I set the out no difference. So no one else has run into this issue?

If it's suppose to replace the synth and only has a single out why did it not work?

This has been fixed for the next update.

The issue is when the original track is assigned to say outputs 9 & 10, and the synth you're replacing it with doesn't have outputs 9 & 10.  It was trying to retain the output port offset, but obviously it can't, so it fails leaving it unassigned.

So in the next update it will:

• Always set it to use the first output(s) of the new synth; and
  • Set the Track MIDI channel override to none (as it is with standard Simple Instrument Tracks)

You can change MIDI channel if necessary in the inspector by switching to the MIDI tab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The issue is when the original track is assigned to say outputs 9 & 10, and the synth you're replacing it with doesn't have outputs 9 & 10.  It was trying to retain the output port offset, but obviously it can't, so it fails leaving it unassigned.

• Set the Track MIDI channel override to none (as it is with standard Simple Instrument Tracks)

You can change MIDI channel if necessary in the inspector by switching to the MIDI tab.

@msmcleod Great news. Thanks a million.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaime Ramírez said:

Thanks @Noel BorthwickBorthwick and all the Bikers for you efforts.. Grateful.. Blessings for you people.

They are Bikers too?  I'm trying to picture Noel on a Harley  :D

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Thank you... For a minute I thought I was going crazy.. lol... I finally figured it out tho.. you have to split the instrument in order to get to the out settings and change that it will work with any vst I put so far.. but just making it work is so much better tho.. once again thank u..

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

you have to split the instrument in order to get to the out settings and change that it will work with any vst I put so far

It is not necessary to split an instrument track, the MIDI output drop down is on the MIDI tab in its track inspector.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scook said:

It is not necessary to split an instrument track, the MIDI output drop down is on the MIDI tab in its track inspector.

When I don't do this when doing the replace the instrument does not make any sound.. I showed it in the video no sound even when I changed the midi out ... The only way that worked for me was the split instrument

OK, I understand.

This is not normal behavior, the output appears to get reassigned as a side-effect of the split (normally this would not be noticed because the assignment should be the same in the instrument and audio+MIDI track pair), however; from what I can tell, there are other problems caused by this bug

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Will be testing this in the next release.

On 6/17/2021 at 5:54 AM, Morten Saether said:

Improved dropout management

To handle these cases, a new MaskDropoutDetection option in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File can be used to suppress dropouts.

image.png

Setting this value to True will activate dropout masking during playback and recording.

When activated, Cakewalk will continue playback and recording after it encounters a maskable dropout. This can prevent unwanted interruption of playback or a lost take while recording.

Although, I haven't had any dropouts in a while (Can't even remember when last) - this feature is welcomed with opened arms. 

Great work guys!👍

Hawks eye activated.