[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]

Thanks for your answers.
Problem solved! A corrupted dll was blocking the search for VST's.
Also, on the East-west site, Cakewalk was not listed in the DAWs supporting Opus...

Thanks a lot to Bandlab for this software!

Edited by Marc Venturini

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You can already undo faders to their last value. Right click on any fader and choose "Revert to..."
To apply to multiple tracks use quick grouping. There are no plans to make this part of undo - it would be very confusing.

I am not really sure I agree... I find it logical that a CTRL+Z undo would cover fader changes. Why would that be confusing?

For example, in Adobe Premiere Pro, audio mixer changes can be undone with CTRL+Z.

Also, sometimes I've moved a fader or value in the Track View accidentally with say, the mouse wheel, and I know I moved something but not what. Without undo cover, it's impossible to know what I wrecked... 🤔

• Like 1

Hi, thanks to the Bakers for the update and for fixing an issue with localized Kind of Event  dialog on the Event List!

Also I've noticed Tempo Track zoom function will always start from zero, i.e. it won't remember last zoom settings (click + drag on Tempo Scale). It looks like that was not expected.

Best regards

41 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Because fader changes are also made by envelopes?  So what does an undo actually (un)do in this case?

You can obviously make fader changes without envelopes. But if you have envelopes, undo isn't needed, I agree. Or did I misunderstand your question? 😃

Edited by GreenLight

19 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

You can obviously make fader changes without envelopes. But if you have envelopes, undo isn't needed, I agree. Or did I misunderstand your question? 😃

Maybe 🙂 If an envelope is controlling a fader and you move the fader, expecting a change to be made, it only changes temporarily (until playback resumes and the envelope takes control again), so undo may confuse the user.  I'm of the opinion that envelope and faders should be disambiguated, as they do different things and can already confuse things!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

Maybe 🙂 If an envelope is controlling a fader and you move the fader, expecting a change to be made, it only changes temporarily (until playback resumes and the envelope takes control again), so undo may confuse the user.  I'm of the opinion that envelope and faders should be disambiguated, as they do different things and can already confuse things!

Ah, yes of course, changing parameters that are automated has special implications, and undo isn't really applicable in those cases.

I am not a fan of the undo logic in Cakewalk, where you can undo if you changed track volume via automation, but you can't undo if you just change the Volume parameter of a track (Track View / Console view does not matter). Maybe this could be optional?

Examples from other software, like Ableton Live and Premiere Pro, is that you can undo Volume changes for tracks (without automation).

Sorry! Should we start a separate thread for this discussion, maybe? 😁

UPDATE: Let's continue this discussion in the "Undo for mixing moves, please" thread in the Feedback Loop. 😃

Edited by GreenLight
Added link to Feedback Loop thread
  • Thanks 2

First I've seen this happen. Not confirmed only in 2021.06 build 41...

Unfreezing Addictive Drums 2 setup, changed all mono track interleave settings to stereo.

Not a show stopper, but something to know about. If you unfreeze AD2, make sure to check your track's interleave settings before proceeding...

Edit:

Never mind. It doesn't seem to be repeating with other similar projects...

Edited by Keni

4 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Interesting, that was a bug that was present quite a while ago that was fixed. I wonder if there's edge cases where it still happens?

That is interesting.

I still remain stunned at some freezing issues such as volume difference before/after freezing and be only some synths and different level differences from particular synths or changing pre/post fx status. These little issues are not show stoppers but collectively they "waste" a lot of work time.

And then there's...

Please fix zoom when multiple tracks displaying lanes are selected...

Please make the track/promoted image user-preference when lanes are displayed...

Please fix lasso zoom so that what is selected in lanes is displayed as selected...

Please fix these issues. I can’t over-stress how tedious it is constantly fidgeting with zooms all sessions long!

Once upon a time these issues did not exist and still await attention.

Thanks 🙏 

• Like 1

I downloaded the "early release" this morning.  The new features seem to be working fine, however, when I attempt to export files in either .wav or .mp3 format the program crashes and instantly closes.  I have opened several different projects and attempted to export a file and it happens every time.   I have used Cakewalk almost daily since around 1993 as part of how I make my living and this has not been happening at all until today when I installed the new update.   I recorded two full soundtracks today for a client with numerous VST plugins used in each song.  When I did the final mix on each project and attempted to export it, it crashed every time.   It looks like I will having to do a "rollback" to the previous version until this is fixed or until I can figure out what is going on.   Any suggestions would  be appreciated.  

Additional info about this issue:  Today I downloaded and installed the "Official Release" and the problem was still there.  However, I have isolated what seems to be causing the crash.  I noticed that when I bounce a mix down to a stereo track and then export it, it exports fine.  But....when I type in a name for the track and then export it....it crashes.  After more experimenting, I have concluded that if I include a hyphen in the track name, that seems to cause the program to crash when exporting.  I can remove the hyphen, and it will  export fine.  So.....how to I get this information to the Bakers at Cakewalk so that they can determine if this is a an actual program bug or if it is something in my system?  

Edited by buildanax

2 hours ago, buildanax said:

It looks like I will having to do a "rollback" to the previous version until this is fixed or until I can figure out what is going on.   Any suggestions would  be appreciated.

I'm presuming that you were already using the most recent release version and that this isn't your first attempt at using Cakewalk by BandLab as the successor to SONAR.

Yes, run the rollback installer and see if that fixes it. If it does, sound the alarm. If it doesn't, open a ticket with BandLab/Cakewalk support. I've done a few exports with the most recent EA build and they went fine.

3 hours ago, buildanax said:

I downloaded the "early release" this morning.  The new features seem to be working fine, however, when I attempt to export files in either .wav or .mp3 format the program crashes and instantly closes.  I have opened several different projects and attempted to export a file and it happens every time.   I have used Cakewalk almost daily since around 1993 as part of how I make my living and this has not been happening at all until today when I installed the new update.   I recorded two full soundtracks today for a client with numerous VST plugins used in each song.  When I did the final mix on each project and attempted to export it, it crashed every time.   It looks like I will having to do a "rollback" to the previous version until this is fixed or until I can figure out what is going on.   Any suggestions would  be appreciated.  

Try doing a re-install of the EA. 

If that don't work, i suspect its a plugin at render that's causing it to crash. If you have a favorite VST2 plugin in the Bin -  download the JBridge file. 

9 hours ago, buildanax said:

@buildanax can you please send the minidump file from the crash ASAP? There is info in the crash dialog that allows you to locate the dump file.
It also shows whether the crash is in a plugin or the application.

10 hours ago, buildanax said:

Make sure you send the dump file to the Bakers, hopefully they'll figure it out! 😀

Also, it's a good habit to not apply any system or software updates during an important project or when having deadlines. I usually wait until I know I have "downtime" and have time with potential bug-hunting and/or rollbacks.

Hope your rollback goes smoothly! 🍀

Reminder we are very close to releasing the final 06 update. If there are any blocking issues related to this release please report them ASAP.

PS:  As per requests the audio ports for friendly names no longer include the numeric prefix and I've also removed the prefix for inserted synth tracks.
There are also a handful of additional bug fixes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

I have build 041 but this VERY HELPFUL ERROR has intermittently happened in previous version of CW also:

1642684910_CWsavingerror.jpg.868230a8012ec42ec14797c8054e09fc.jpg

This happens when I simply save the file, I get this error and cannot save the file, have to close project w/o saving. There doesnt seem to be any special circumstance. In this case I was adding drum part tracks. I started with the snare track above ( pre adding it too a track folder ) and saved to see, it saved fine. Then i added all the other drum part tracks, popped them in a drum track folder, went to save and TAA DAA .. this error.

Its not the track folder thing because as I said it has happened a few times last few weeks randomly. Sometimes if i close the file and reopen / add tracks it saves fine then. Not in this case though. I am at a loss 

EDIT: Now this is odd. I decided to try turn off audio engine. Then SAVE .. guess what, it saved. Go figure

I have been getting the same error occasionally. When that happens, I click "OK" and try again. Usually that works. Sometimes the error box appears again, so I click "OK" and try the save yet again. Within a few tries, I have always been able to successfully save. When you turn off the audio engine and then you are able to save, I wonder if maybe that's not what actually gets around the problem. It may simply be that on your second try, the save works.

The problem doesn't seem to be related to this upgrade, since I have seen this error in the past several versions.

• Like 1